Are Darnold and Fields Going to Make Trubisky a Hot Commodity This Offseason?

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

I get that the Bills don't have a ton of skin in this particular question (other than a decent comp pick) but if you look at what Darnold is doing in Carolina and how the Bears are in the process of destroying Fields, I can see how a team could be very interested in Trubisky this offseason, especially if the Bills showcase him in a meaningless end of season game and he looks decent in said meaningless game.  Trubisky in Chicago looked a helluva lot better than Darnold did in NY.

I am not so sure it the Bears destroying Fields. Looks like the perfect storm here of a horrible coaching staff and horrible QB (fields) make for a 1 yard net passing performance. That game against the Browns yesterday was absolutely horrific. The Bears need a new coaching staff and new QB IMHO. 

WFT is going to be looking and I don’t think the guy we played is a long term answer.  I would not be surprised to see McD talk up Mitch to Rivera and that they make a push.  

Mitch is still young enough to be a long term answer on the right team and that give them a chance to look in the draft over the next few years.

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I did look that up earlier this year.  It is complicated but $ is important but also snap count % is factored.

OTC had a pretty good article about it.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

quote from article:

Methodology

App. V, §2 lays out the process of calculating the value of CFAs. §2(a) begins the calculation as follows to all players in the league

Start with the Average Per Year (APY) of the contract signed.

Subtract from the APY any money that the compensatory formula does not count3. 

Rank these players by adjusted APY in descending order, and assign points to each player, equal to [number of leaguewide players]-[rank].

Add anywhere from 25 to 100 points for players who played a percentage of snaps on offense or defense in the range of 25% to 100%. (Kickers and punters are given a different point addition unrelated to snap counts.)

Add 20 or 5 points for postseason honors as determined by the AP’s All Pro list, and the PFWA’s All NFL/All Conference list.

That was like reading a mortgage contract 🤣 Holy smokes, I'm just gunna keep to the estimate of $, snaps, and all pro if applicable. Thanks for digging that up though!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I did look that up earlier this year.  It is complicated but $ is important but also snap count % is factored.

OTC had a pretty good article about it.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

quote from article:

Methodology

App. V, §2 lays out the process of calculating the value of CFAs. §2(a) begins the calculation as follows to all players in the league

Start with the Average Per Year (APY) of the contract signed.

Subtract from the APY any money that the compensatory formula does not count3. 

Rank these players by adjusted APY in descending order, and assign points to each player, equal to [number of leaguewide players]-[rank].

Add anywhere from 25 to 100 points for players who played a percentage of snaps on offense or defense in the range of 25% to 100%. (Kickers and punters are given a different point addition unrelated to snap counts.)

Add 20 or 5 points for postseason honors as determined by the AP’s All Pro list, and the PFWA’s All NFL/All Conference list.

1330331486_A13usaonutL._CLa21402000A1BWj3LZ08L.png00214020000_00.02140.02000.0_AC_UL1500_.thumb.jpg.4aec81d11b51fda1fe186180e8c526f0.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I get that the Bills don't have a ton of skin in this particular question (other than a decent comp pick) but if you look at what Darnold is doing in Carolina and how the Bears are in the process of destroying Fields, I can see how a team could be very interested in Trubisky this offseason, especially if the Bills showcase him in a meaningless end of season game and he looks decent in said meaningless game.  Trubisky in Chicago looked a helluva lot better than Darnold did in NY.

I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see Trubisky get interest this off-season.  To really be a “hot commodity” though he probably will need significant reps at some point this year w/o seeing meaningful snaps.  Unless it’s week 18, let’s hope that doesn’t happen!

I find it hard to believe that Mitch ends up in high demand after sitting his ass on the bench the entire season 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The way Trubisky played against his old team in the preseason was a showcase in itself, but I agree that more time with mop-up duty (and let's hope for a lot of that) will make him even more attractive. On top of that, he's working with a staff that turned Josh from a raw prospect to a top-five QB in just a few years.

Mitch will get a number of offers after this season. He'll be able to choose the team that he thinks will give him the best chance to succeed.

Daboll could take Mitch with him if gets a HC gig somewhere like the Giants.

Edited by The Jokeman

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Houston, New Orleans, WFT seem like probable landing spots.

Washington needs a ton of help and could be a place. 

Honestly, I don’t see Carolina or New Orleans as a landing spot. Darnold has been OK and Winston is 7:2 TD:INT at the moment. Both will either ride them out and/or draft a guy. But it doesn’t make any sense to jump on the FA merry go round for those teams. 

5 hours ago, Malazan said:

I think you take the 3rd round comp pick and the reputation boost and be happy with it. 

Unless Trubisky signs a deal worth $14M+ per year (last year's price for a 3rd i.e. it's not happening) you can forget about 3rd round. Plan for a 7th rd comp pick and that's if and only if we have a net loss in free agents.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The way Trubisky played against his old team in the preseason was a showcase in itself, but I agree that more time with mop-up duty (and let's hope for a lot of that) will make him even more attractive. On top of that, he's working with a staff that turned Josh from a raw prospect to a top-five QB in just a few years.

Mitch will get a number of offers after this season. He'll be able to choose the team that he thinks will give him the best chance to succeed.

It would be really weird if. Mitch goes to Miami in FA

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

That football team we played yesterday looks like a prime landing spot. I have battled with bears fans all offseason about I wouldn’t want Nagy anywhere near Fields. I really dislike the guy. For an “offensive” coach his offenses are generally pretty trash outside mitchs rookie year. If you know your offensive line is complete trash you’d think you’d incorporate more screens and slants etc etc to help the rookie out and get the ball out of his hand in time. 

C'mon, why you gotta do Mitch dirty like that? No QB deserves to be sent to play under Dan Snyder. It's a death sentence!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I wonder if Beane is getting any offers now and what that looks like.

I don’t want to trade him but I wonder if the FO is being tempted. 

We signed him so if Josh gets injured this year ( always a possibility with his playing style ) we'll have a real a QB we can put out there and still win games cuz we're trying to win the SB this year.  I doubt very seriously that they are being "tempted".