Should Lamar Jackson’s contract use Josh’s as the floor? Bucky Brooks says, “yes.”

BuffaloBill

They might have to pay more for him so they can have more flexibility.  Seems to me you're much more likely to lose elite running ability due to injury or just natural deterioration than elite arm talent.  W/o his exceptional arm, JA still has the ability to be a good QB.  How good would LJ be if he wasn't much of a runner?  Can you say $50m+ in dead cap space?

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's gonna look reasonable regardless. You don't need to hope for anything. Unless there's some big contract rule change, like the CBA change I mentioned.

I understand your point totally.  My point about the new TV contracts was along the lines of what Allen's % of the cap could look like compared

to the others who sign after the TV contract renewal.  While not a CBA change like you mentioned it could be significant.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Ravens would be fools to give him that kind of money,  it's been proven that running QB's do not have long NFL careers

This may be the biggest issue they face.  Mahommes and Allen you are willing to commit to long long term so you can play with the cap...id never give Jackson more than a 4 year deal because of the way he plays. 

The Bills got the better QB and teams like the Ravens and Browns will likely have to spend more for less talented players because that's just how QB contracts work.  Great move by the Bills. A tad shocked that Allen's reps didn't push harder tonsee where Jackson and even Mayfield landed...but it's a fair deal for both sides.

54 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

From the article:

“Given how his numbers measure up against those of his peers (SEE: fellow member of the 2018 draft class Josh Allen; 89.7 passer rating, 70:32 TD-INT ratio), contract negotiations between the Ravens and their QB1 should be easy. A deal that ranks just above the six-year, $258 million extension Allen inked last month should serve as the floor for Jackson's next contract.”

https://www.nfl.com/news/lamar-jackson-deserves-to-be-one-of-nfl-s-highest-paid-players-how-bears-can-ele

Does this make you think, even more, that the Bills did the right thing by not waiting until season’s end to get the deal with Josh done?  Numbers for elite players go up year after year. If injury or other circumstances were to take the run game away from Jackson, I highly doubt the debate exists. I am glad the Bills do not have this dilemma. 

I have to say Lamar has looked pretty damn good since the start of the season.  If I am Lamar, I don’t take anything less than the deal Josh signed.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

And then Trevor Lawrence...and then the best QB from the 2022 class...and then...

Pump the breaks on Trevor. Urban Meyer is going to ruin him. The morning guys at Sport Hub 98.5 Boston said this morning that Urban was speaking to Kliff Kingsbury before the Jags-Cards game and said "The NFL is like playing Alabama every week." :lol:

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Pump the breaks on Trevor. Urban Meyer is going to ruin him. The morning guys at Sport Hub 98.5 Boston said this morning that Urban was speaking to Kliff Kingsbury before the Jags-Cards game and said "The NFL is like playing Alabama every week." :lol:

Probably, lol... purely speaking in theoretical terms

I take nothing away from Jackson, who is a great player.  I think, however, that most, if not all NFL GM's would take Allen over Jackson.  His skill set seems to be more complete.  Jackson is a great runner and a decent passer.  Allen is a very good runner and a great passer.  Allen's size and style of play may make him a bit less injury-prone than Jackson.  So I believe that Allen deserves to be paid more.   That said, because Allen signed first, and the way things go, I could see Jackson getting the same or a little more.  Given that the Ravens are a perennial contender in the AFC and are a competitor of the Bills, I hope they pay more, which hurts their ability to spend on other parts of the roster.  

My comments appear to be in line with what's been said above.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

By the time Baker, Lamar and Tyler Murray sign their extensions Josh Allen's contract will look like a sweet deal.

I think any QB contract signed in the next 18 months is going to provide a huge benefit for that franchise.  The longer the contract, the better the bargain. With the salary cap about to adjust upwards dramatically any contract in the 40 a year range will be a steal.  QBs will be pushing 75 a year when Josh's contract nears its end.  The fact that Josh is locked in the low 40s for 8 years, with a total average yearly compensation in the 30s over the length of the contract, is going to provide a huge competitive advantage for the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It is. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

From the article:

“Given how his numbers measure up against those of his peers (SEE: fellow member of the 2018 draft class Josh Allen; 89.7 passer rating, 70:32 TD-INT ratio), contract negotiations between the Ravens and their QB1 should be easy. A deal that ranks just above the six-year, $258 million extension Allen inked last month should serve as the floor for Jackson's next contract.”

https://www.nfl.com/news/lamar-jackson-deserves-to-be-one-of-nfl-s-highest-paid-players-how-bears-can-ele

Does this make you think, even more, that the Bills did the right thing by not waiting until season’s end to get the deal with Josh done?  Numbers for elite players go up year after year. If injury or other circumstances were to take the run game away from Jackson, I highly doubt the debate exists. I am glad the Bills do not have this dilemma. 

Yea its weird how it works the previous big contract is the benchmark even if the person getting extended isn't quite as good.  Which is how you have something like Eli manning being the highest paid qb in the nfl for awhile 🤣 

27 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I take nothing away from Jackson, who is a great player.  I think, however, that most, if not all NFL GM's would take Allen over Jackson.  His skill set seems to be more complete.  Jackson is a great runner and a decent passer.  Allen is a very good runner and a great passer.  Allen's size and style of play may make him a bit less injury-prone than Jackson.  So I believe that Allen deserves to be paid more.   That said, because Allen signed first, and the way things go, I could see Jackson getting the same or a little more.  Given that the Ravens are a perennial contender in the AFC and are a competitor of the Bills, I hope they pay more, which hurts their ability to spend on other parts of the roster.  

My comments appear to be in line with what's been said above.

This is exactly on point. I would also add that Josh's skill set is transferable, meaning that he could be the starting QB on literally any team running any offense. Lamar's skill set requires a more specialized offensive system tailored for him.