Bills and The AFC: Three Games In

ngbills

We are very early on in the season but lets take a look at the AFC landscape:

AFC East: We have the Bills and everybody else as expected. No real shockers here. The Bills look like the only legit team in the division and still conference champion favorite. Bills are tied for largest point differential in the league. Miami was the expected threat but a blowout lost to the Bills and now loss to LAV is a reason for concern. 

AFC North: The division is close but CLE looks like the favorite given the quality of wins. CLE could be 3-0 if they didnt blow the week 1 game to KC. PIT week 1 win looks more like a fluke. CIN and BAL are possibly both contenders. 

AFC South: Weakest division in the conference. TEN has not looked great but is still the favorite. IND had been a big disappointment at 0-3. Both JAC and HOU are not good. So I think TEN takes this division easy and the three other teams are all sub .500 by a lot.

AFC West: KC is a surprising 1-2 and could easily be 0-3. DEN and LAV are both a surprising 3-0. Then you have LAC at 2-1. This looks to be the best division in the conference. What is the reality here? The LAV start looks more legit than DEN given the quality of wins (BAL, PIT, MIA), but DEN has won big though its against NYG, JAC, and NYJ. Not ready to write KC off as I expect they will turn it on when they start feeling the pressure. So I still think KC wins this division but we get a potential for 2 wild card teams here. 

Predictions:

East: Bills (1)

North: CLE (4)

South: TEN (3)

West: KC (2)

Wild cards: BALT (6), LAV (5), LAC (7)

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 2

Bills look to be in a good spot, but I wouldn't underestimate CLE and BAL. Those are two good, strong teams. And TEN is starting to look strong after that debacle in Week 1 (but we know what that's like).

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I still think the winner of the West gets the 1st seed.  

You don’t think a division with 3 contenders would cannibalize itself more than a division with one?

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

You don’t think a division with 3 contenders would cannibalize itself more than a division with one?

I dont.  I think you'll see the Raiders stay in the playoff chase, but I dont think they can beat either KC or LAC.   My thought is either KC or LAC goes on a roll here soon and it plays out to the end of season.  

Weeks 5 and 6 is going to tell us a lot on where to slot the Bills.  Specifically the week 5 match up vs the Chiefs.  If they can get to the bye week at 5-1, or even 4-2 (preferably with a victory over the Chiefs)... We are going to feel pretty good about where they stand.  Especially with the next 3 games the Dolphins, Jaguars and Jets (then the Colts)

Think the biggest thing for the Bills is that New England and Miami do not look as some (I include myself in that) expected to have closed the gap. 

6-0 in division again is very possible. If the AFC West continues to beat itself up with 4 legit teams then it might come down to the Bills and the Browns for the #1 seed.

• Agree 1

The AFCE doesn’t surprise me in the least, to include the pats, their team culture is crumbling bit by bit, mercenaries play there, and they don’t have a QB at present, Miami not having a QB that’s worth their time seals their fate, the jets, nuff said. 

Go Bills!!!

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think the biggest thing for the Bills is that New England and Miami do not look as some (I include myself in that) expected to have closed the gap. 

6-0 in division again is very possible. If the AFC West continues to beat itself up with 4 legit teams then it might come down to the Bills and the Browns for the #1 seed.

The Pats*** are the biggest surprise. Just awful yesterday. We need for Baltimore and Cleveland to split. The Raiders have done well but I’m not yet a believer. Hopefully they and Denver do enough to saddle KC and LAC with another loss or two. 

It also looks right now as if drawing the AFC South this season was a blessing for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

The Pats*** are the biggest surprise. Just awful yesterday. We need for Baltimore and Cleveland to split. The Raiders have done well but I’m not yet a believer. Hopefully they and Denver do enough to saddle KC and LAC with another loss or two. 

It also looks right now as if drawing the AFC South this season was a blessing for Buffalo.

Yea the Bills have been lucky in terms of their AFC draws last few years. Drew the AFC North in 2019 when Cleveland underperformed, Cincy were in a teardown and Pitt lost their starting QB. In 2020 drew the AFC West where the Chargers had a lame duck HC and a rookie QB and the Broncos were the most injured team in the league. 2021 by far the weakest division is AFC South. The rotation has been kind to us. 

Next year the AFC North will be tough you'd think but the NFC North when Rodgers might have left Green Bay, Chicago and Minnesota may have new coaches and Detorit will still be Detroit. That looks pretty nice too.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You could say the same thing about the Titans regarding their division.

Seems like they'll be in the mix for a top seed in the conference.  Week 5 (KC) and week 6 (TEN) are going to tell us a lot.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The AFCE doesn’t surprise me in the least, to include the pats, their team culture is crumbling bit by bit, mercenaries play there, and they don’t have a QB at present, Miami not having a QB that’s worth their time seals their fate, the jets, nuff said. 

Go Bills!!!

When the media were acting like the Pats were all set for a playoff run with Mac Jones, based on a couple of preseason games, all I could do was laugh. The Patriots are a hot mess right now. There will be no wild cards in the AFC East.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1

The AFC Looks pretty terrible and this is shaping up to be a pretty soft season/schedule for us.

No complaints here.

Can't wait to get to the KC game as it's probably the most important on our schedule this year.

Edited by Nextmanup

Not going to guess seeding but I could see the AFC shaking out something like this:

AFCE - Bills

AFCN - Browns

AFCS - Titans

AFCW - Raiders

Wildcard1 - Chiefs

WIldcard2 - Chargers

Wildcard3 - Ravens

On the fringe/just miss out - Dolphins, Bengals, Broncos

Biggest disappointment for me is Patriots, I thought they would be much better but it's clear their offense is an issue and simply not that good. Colts are up there as well and not likely rebounding this year.