The PSL - A Dome - A Great Morning in Western New York.

Ross Murdock

Rams and Colts won a SB in a domed home stadium.

For the life of me, I don’t know what’s wrong with going with a retractable roof and having the option to control the elements or to leave it open. Lucas Oil Stadium is retractable, was built for a song comparatively in the NFL, and by every account has beautiful sight lines and is a popular stadium (NFL Draft has been there for a long time).

B58C6676-B03D-42DB-BDDD-13526056EB17.jpeg

D77A72C1-A72E-4EC6-A1BE-08131EBC4CFA.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UConn James said:

For the life of me, I don’t know what’s wrong with going with a retractable roof and having the option to control the elements or to leave it open. Lucas Oil Stadium is retractable, was built for a song comparatively in the NFL, and by every account has beautiful sight lines and is a popular stadium (NFL Draft has been there for a long time).

I think you mean the Combine not the draft but yes you’re 100% right.

5 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I went to a bunch of games at the Old Rockpile, one in particular comes to mind. Freezing cold, windy and snowing, there was nowhere to hide in that building. No place to even get out of the wind. It was go home or die.

Sounds like my experience at Sunday Night Football, November 18, 2007. Relentless freezing rain really was big advantage against the Patriots. We only lost by 46 points.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Nice!!!  Put solar panels on Indy Dome and pays 💰for itself!  Go 🦬 Bills!!

Edited by Ga boy

More and more the NFL is becoming a product for TV

I want open air because it looks amazing on my 72 inch TV while I'm sitting on my couch in my Bills gear sipping good beer and munching on good food with a front row seat.

Except for places like Sofi, domes look like the game is being played in a basement. It's awful. 

Nothing worse than a beautiful blue sky fall day in Orchard Park and the game looks like someone put down that cheap green outdoor carpet from Lowes inside of an airplane hangar and invited 2 NFL teams over. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

32 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I don't think that matters. Virgil's post had about 3x as many words, but they are coherent and make sense. 

I guess it's like a 100k mile car that was poorly maintained and basically run into the ground, vs 150k+ mile car that was well maintained and taken care of.

As for the stadium/weather, it's about wind for me.  I can take the cold.  I love snow games as well.  But the wind?  **** that **** eight days a week.  I could layer up to the point I look like I've put on 100 pounds, and the wind finds a way to cut through it and makes for a miserable viewing experience.

As for amenities, less cramped concourses, and more concession lines and bathroom stalls to cut down on having to decide which quarter of the game I have to miss just to buy an overpriced hot dog or go pee.

38 minutes ago, UConn James said:

This!

Go retractable.  Close it up for wind/rain… keep it open for snow!

8 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

This!

Go retractable.  Close it up for wind/rain… keep it open for snow!

Never and I mean never would this suggestion happen.  A retractable roof is a distant 3rd in terms of stadium options, and even if they did piss away money on that type of stadium, the roof would not be opened for cold/snow games. 

Okay…carry on. 

27 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

More and more the NFL is becoming a product for TV

I want open air because it looks amazing on my 72 inch TV while I'm sitting on my couch in my Bills gear sipping good beer and munching on good food with a front row seat.

Except for places like Sofi, domes look like the game is being played in a basement. It's awful. 

Nothing worse than a beautiful blue sky fall day in Orchard Park and the game looks like someone put down that cheap green outdoor carpet from Lowes inside of an airplane hangar and invited 2 NFL teams over. 

The TV networks can add snow, rain and wind like how Zoom can make you look like your on a tropical island. Problem solved.

1 minute ago, BTB said:

Never and I mean never would this suggestion happen.  A retractable roof is a distant 3rd in terms of stadium options, and even if they did piss away money on that type of stadium, the roof would not be opened for cold/snow games. 

Okay…carry on. 

Jeez man, tell us how you really feel - ha!    You are right though, and whether it happens or not (agree it likely would not), my preference would be retractable, while maintaining a winter wonderland game each season!

56 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Still my favorite stadium, by far. Looks old school, but contains all desired features.

I’ve had this discussion too many times with other Bills fan…quickly my take

-I don’t think the weather creates a home field advantage like others, there are very few players on the Bills from a northern state…they probably don’t like the cold either (sure they’ll say they do because it’s manly)

-have you ever been in a dome? I’ve been to a Bills playoff game that didn’t or struggled to sell out, the reason, it was too cold (funny enough it was the comeback game). I’ve also seen New Orleans play TB, when Tampa was absolutely awful.  The game sold out, the crowd was deafening. Noise > Snow/cold

-super bowl!  If you’re asking the state to come up with some funding, make the stadium domed and big enough to house a super bowl.  The amount of revenue it would create for Western NY would make it worth it. 

-Free agents: winning is attractive, but if you think about free agents and their legacy, a dome helps.  Look at what Jim Kelly did in the USFL…I would argue if Buffalo played in a dome, he would’ve set league records.  WRs knowing they don’t have to adjust to the wind is also attractive.

-a lot of fans are now out of towners that pick one or two games a year to fly home to, I don’t want to sit in the cold…I know some of y’all might, but given the choice…comfort wins, I don’t like rain and snow getting into my labatt, I don’t like trying to eat nachos with snow gloves on.

that wasn’t that short at all

I hate the idea of a dome for a Bills stadium as well.

Every time this comes up, a huge amount of Bills fans argue in favor of a dome, which always really surprises me.

I think a dome is, in general, very popular among many Bills fans.

2 minutes ago, frogger said:

I’ve had this discussion too many times with other Bills fan…quickly my take

-I don’t think the weather creates a home field advantage like others, there are very few players on the Bills from a northern state…they probably don’t like the cold either (sure they’ll say they do because it’s manly)

-have you ever been in a dome? I’ve been to a Bills playoff game that didn’t or struggled to sell out, the reason, it was too cold (funny enough it was the comeback game). I’ve also seen New Orleans play TB, when Tampa was absolutely awful.  The game sold out, the crowd was deafening. Noise > Snow/cold

-super bowl!  If you’re asking the state to come up with some funding, make the stadium domed and big enough to house a super bowl.  The amount of revenue it would create for Western NY would make it worth it. 

-Free agents: winning is attractive, but if you think about free agents and their legacy, a dome helps.  Look at what Jim Kelly did in the USFL…I would argue if Buffalo played in a dome, he would’ve set league records.  WRs knowing they don’t have to adjust to the wind is also attractive.

-a lot of fans are now out of towners that pick one or two games a year to fly home to, I don’t want to sit in the cold…I know some of y’all might, but given the choice…comfort wins, I don’t like rain and snow getting into my labatt, I don’t like trying to eat nachos with snow gloves on.

that wasn’t that short at all

You're claiming some big fallacies here.

1. The loudest stadiums by recorded decibel level are open.

2. The greatest QBs in the game right now play in open stadiums. Legacy isn't about stats, it's about sustained winning and championships. Talk about free agents...ask Emmanuel Sanders why he came here. (By the way, he's mostly played in open stadiums because it's all about the QB, not the building)

3. Players really do like playing in the elements. It amps you up and it's fun. Sitting in the elements sucks, but playing in the elements is a blast. Ask Pitt, Seattle, Green Bay, New England, Chicago, KC, SF etc how hard it's been to get free agents. As long as you're a good team with a good QB, it's not hard. The elements is a non factor.