A Few Thoughts about Washington Game, in no particular order

Virgil

I was going to post this in its own thread while I was waiting for Virgil or Shaw's threads, but here it is, so I am posting here

Ok it's Monday morning, I'm bored , it's raining (again), walking the dogs is not going to happen, and apparently I have too many thougts swirling in my brain and I need to let some out (excuse me in advance, this may be like passing gas in public) , but here goes.

After a great win like yesterdays everyone deserves their props

Allen broke out of his slump and had a great game. He was sharp on his throws, he moved well in the pocket, and looked the part (MVP level)we expected from him based on last year. He and Sanders finally connected and produced 2 tds, and were in sync with the long balls. It was also encouraging to see Sanders have a breakout game,  I admit to being a bit underwhelmed by him until now. I was wondering with him being old (in football years) that maybe his best football had already been played, but yesterday he performed superbly.

Nice pass distribution, Allen got everyone involved

Beasely had a  monster game catching everything thrown his way, some were

tough catches too.

Our much maligned starting TE. Knox, caught all the passes thrown his way also, and he made a spectacular play on his TD catch, amazingly was able to stay inbounds.

Diggs seemed to have a quiet game, but he had timely and clutch catches on the FG drive at the end of the 1st half. He also dug in and did the dirty work, he had several key blocks that freed up Moss and the other receivers to do their thing.  

Moss was more decisive, better today than Singletary.he showed a burst on the delay rushes and on the off tackle runs. He found the soft spot in the zone and reacted well moving back  to allen on some passing plays giving him easy targets.

Singletary had a couple of nice runs, best  when he quickly hits the holes and is decisive with his cuts.

The O line did nice job today, they gave Allen time to go through his reads, and maintained a solid pocket for him to step up and avoid the rush

The Defense

What can I say, the defense has come to play in all 3 games so far. They had one lapse yesterday on the screen pass play that turned into a 73 yd. TD.,but overall had another good game. The secondary was superb, props to all. Milano's play has been spectacular whether he is defending passes or the run. I believe he had a couple of tfl's and a sack yesterday, and of course the fumble recovery after Tre knocked the ball away from WFT's TE.

"The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind"

But not yesterday

Mckenzie seems to have an issue when he has to come to the ball, I'm not sure if it's visual or what. On the kickoff, whether it was by play design by WFT (the announcers seemed to think so) , or just dumb luck the way the wind affected the kick, as he came up to catch it he totally misjudged where he needed to be. If he could of caught it on the run, it probably would of been a big play for the Bills, but once the ball hit the turf all bets were off and the took off in an unexpected way. I  noticed the same thing on his muffed punts, I hope this doesn't become a thing with him, because I like him as a returner.

Matakevich had an off day, but we all do sometimes

"This game is dedicated to the ones we 💘"

My condolences to Coach Daboll and his family. I was touched by JA, and his comments about when he lost his Grandma that Daboll was the first one to console him. It's telling how close this team is, they arent  just teammates they are family.

While I am on the subject of family. We are overjoyed to announce the newest member of our family, as our new

Great Grandson Evan was born on Friday.👶

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, gdabillsfan said:

I was going to post this in its own thread while I was waiting for Virgil or Shaw's threads, but here it is, so I am posting here

Ok it's Monday morning, I'm bored , it's raining (again), walking the dogs is not going to happen, and apparently I have too many thougts swirling in my brain and I need to let some out (excuse me in advance, this may be like passing gas in public) , but here goes.

Allen broke out of his slump and had a great game. He was sharp on his throws, he moved well in the pocket, and looked the part (MVP level)we expected from him based on last year. He and Sanders finally connected and produced 2 tds, and were in sync with the long balls. It was also encouraging to see Sanders have a breakout game,  I admit to being a bit underwhelmed by him until now. I was wondering with him being old (in football years) that maybe his best football had already been played, but yesterday he performed superbly.

tough catches too.

Our much maligned starting TE. Knox, caught all the passes thrown his way also, and he made a spectacular play on his TD catch, amazingly was able to stay inbounds.

Diggs seemed to have a quiet game, but he had timely and clutch catches on the FG drive at the end of the 1st half. He also dug in and did the dirty work, he had several key blocks that freed up Moss and the other receivers to do their thing.  

Moss was more decisive, better today than Singletary.he showed a burst on the delay rushes and on the off tackle runs. He found the soft spot in the zone and reacted well moving back  to allen on some passing plays giving him easy targets.

Singletary had a couple of nice runs, best  when he quickly hits the holes and is decisive with his cuts.

The O line did nice job today, they gave Allen time to go through his reads, and maintained a solid pocket for him to step up and avoid the rush

The Defense

What can I say, the defense has come to play in all 3 games so far. They had one lapse yesterday on the screen pass play that turned into a 73 yd. TD.,but overall had another good game. The secondary was superb, props to all. Milano's play has been spectacular whether he is defending passes or the run. I believe he had a couple of tfl's and a sack yesterday, and of course the fumble recovery after Tre knocked the ball away from WFT's TE.

But not yesterday

Mckenzie seems to have an issue when he has to come to the ball, I'm not sure if it's visual or what. On the kickoff, whether it was by play design by WFT (the announcers seemed to think so) , or just dumb luck the way the wind affected the kick, as he came up to catch it he totally misjudged where he needed to be. If he could of caught it on the run, it probably would of been a big play for the Bills, but once the ball hit the turf all bets were off and the took off in an unexpected way. I  noticed the same thing on his muffed punts, I hope this doesn't become a thing with him, because I like him as a returner.

My condolences to Coach Daboll and his family. I was touched by JA, and his comments about when he lost his Grandma that Daboll was the first one to console him. It's telling how close this team is, they arent  just teammates they are family.

While I am on the subject of family. We are overjoyed to announce the newest member of our family, as our new

Well done 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That'd be cool, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it won't happen

I think Siran Neal might have it in him, but Edmunds makes the most sense.:thumbsup: Just bash him at the line of scrimmage.

Edited by Rico

Oline did well with Young and Sweat, and Dawkins handled his side beautifully all game (good to see him in game shape).

Cody Ford vs Payne was a mismatch for Ford most of the game. Payne came free a number of times, but Josh stepped around him. Eventually Ford realized that all he really needed to do was let Payne run himself upfield and out of the play. Williams did this with Young as well, and Josh was able to step up into a clear pocket with those two guys behind him. 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

You know that feeling when you think you left your phone somewhere while out shopping?  There's a little bit of panic and self doubt as you wonder where you could have left it and you start strategizing how you will track it, recover your photos, convince the store it was stolen so you warranty covers it, yadda yadda yadda.  After hours of internal self-scrutiny, you reach your hand into your other pocket and find it, realize that only second have passed, and that wave of assurance rushes over you.  You remember that your other hand was full of groceries at the time, so you put it in the abnormal pocket, and there was never any real cause for concern in the first place.  Ladies and Gentlemen, Josh was simply in the other pocket.  

Wordsmith!

Virgil, have you ever thought about adapting this into a weekly podcast or YouTube video. I think that would be good. I imagine it being read out in a slightly deadpan, monotone voice. Obviously you wouldn't be able to add the songs for copyright reasons (or maybe you are allowed to add a 30 second sample).

Anyway, I think it'd be good, throw in a few pictures and video highlights of the game. I'd watch it!

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest key to me was watching how COMFORTABLE Josh looked. He never seemed to panic, was always under control, trusted his linemen -- and when protection did break down, reacted to it calmly with a little side-step here or there. I believe that this mindset also led to much better mechanics for him than we saw in the first couple of games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I thought Edmunds was ok yesterday imo.

And yes the Know catch was specatuvclar BUT you neglected that he had one pass hit his hands that went in the air almost intercepted, granted it was not a well placed ball but Know was lucky not to be credited with creating a turnover.

First, that pass was thrown behind Knox.

Second, he could only get one hand on the ball. It did not hit him in both of his hands.

Nice try on attempting to implicate Knox on a would be dropped pass. Which it wasn't.

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The critiques of Tremaine Edmunds play are truly flabbergasting 

It seems like he's always missing big,obvious tackles or running himself our of the play when he shows up in the broadcast lol maybe he's just unlucky and he's playing well for all the other plays idk.  But I can def see why he gets criticized around here 

Edmunds is a key part of the Bills' team defense.  He is not not supposed to be making highlight plays on a regular basis.  He's supposed to be taking a large portion of the field away from use by the offense, and he does that.  

Remember the old BASF commercials?  We don't make (fill in the blank), we make (fill in the blank) better.  Edmunds job is to do what he's doing which makes all the other players more effective.  

The Bills entire team is set up to work as complete units.  We got used to Diggs making lots of catches last year but the offense is actually more lethal when more players are catching balls.  The same principle applies with the defense.  Some teams have MLBs that make a ton of tackles, but their overall defense doesn't work that well.  I will take what I see from the Bills all day every day.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, gdabillsfan said:

tough catches too.

The Defense

But not yesterday

You got the job! When can you start?