Questions on Handicap parking on game day

stevewin

Had a few questions about Handicap parking at the stadium on game day.

For years and years have been going to games w/ my Dad and parking in private lots off Abbott.  He’s 87 now and is slowing down – the walk has been tough for him the last few years.  For the open practices this summer he allowed us to use his handicap placard (which I didn’t even know he had b/c he doesn’t use it).  We parked in ADA Lot 6 on the north end of the stadium.  I think we’ve convinced him to use the placard for the game this week.

Questions:

- Do the ADA lots fill up?  Do we need to get there very early to ensure we get a spot?

- Related to above, we would be coming from the north, Abbot/Southwestern, closer to ADA Lot 6, but ADA Lot 2 is bigger – would that be a better option than ADA Lot 6? (Also seems it might be easier to exit the stadium from ADA Lot 2?)

- For open practice – going to ADA Lot 6, we entered the main lots off Southwestern and were just waved on by attendants to the ADA lot – I assume the process is the same on game day? (Looks like ADA Lot 2 is just a direct access of Abbot)

Bonus question:

My Dad is currently dealing with a minor leg injury which is affecting his mobility even more right now.  We don’t have Handicap seats, but were thinking of borrowing a wheelchair to get him to the (regular seats) IF we can convince him to use it (we’ve brought this up the last couple years as something to make his life easier getting into the stadium and he’s been adamantly opposed to it – but with his current injury we might have a shot).  Does anyone have experience wheeling someone in who does not have handicap seats – just wondering what we do with the wheelchair - if we can talk to an usher and stash the wheelchair at the top of the tunnel or something.

Appreciate any responses – Thanks – Go Bills

nef-parking-map_38496661_ver1.0.jpg

4 hours ago, stevewin said:

For years and years have been going to games w/ my Dad and parking in private lots off Abbott.  He’s 87 now and is slowing down – the walk has been tough for him the last few years.  For the open practices this summer he allowed us to use his handicap placard (which I didn’t even know he had b/c he doesn’t use it).  We parked in ADA Lot 6 on the north end of the stadium.  I think we’ve convinced him to use the placard for the game this week.

Questions:

- Do the ADA lots fill up?  Do we need to get there very early to ensure we get a spot?

- Related to above, we would be coming from the north, Abbot/Southwestern, closer to ADA Lot 6, but ADA Lot 2 is bigger – would that be a better option than ADA Lot 6? (Also seems it might be easier to exit the stadium from ADA Lot 2?)

- For open practice – going to ADA Lot 6, we entered the main lots off Southwestern and were just waved on by attendants to the ADA lot – I assume the process is the same on game day? (Looks like ADA Lot 2 is just a direct access of Abbot)

Bonus question:

My Dad is currently dealing with a minor leg injury which is affecting his mobility even more right now.  We don’t have Handicap seats, but were thinking of borrowing a wheelchair to get him to the (regular seats) IF we can convince him to use it (we’ve brought this up the last couple years as something to make his life easier getting into the stadium and he’s been adamantly opposed to it – but with his current injury we might have a shot).  Does anyone have experience wheeling someone in who does not have handicap seats – just wondering what we do with the wheelchair - if we can talk to an usher and stash the wheelchair at the top of the tunnel or something.

I can’t say for sure but I do remember reading that a big motivator for a new stadium was that the current one is not ADA complaint.

Hope your dad can find a way to the game. It’s so cool he still wants to go at 87

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I can’t say for sure but I do remember reading that a big motivator for a new stadium was that the current one is not ADA complaint.

Hope your dad can find a way to the game. It’s so cool he still wants to go at 87

He's one of the original fans :)

I was going through my head thinking where ramps are.  I then realized we usually get club seats (it's an annual pilgrimage by me and my brother to take my Dad to the game for his bday) but this year we were only able to get upper level (never mind that now people can get second hand seats in lower level for less than we paid :p).  I looked some more and it looks like there's an elevator that goes to the top of the 300 level.  This could be quite the adventure.

I also found this on the Bills gameday site "Wheelchair transportation is available from stadium gates to a guest's seat prior to the game and after as well." which is good to know.

BTW - here's good article I found on the current stadium shortcomings that includes some ADA things as you mentioned

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/pegula-executives-renovating-highmark-stadium-for-bills-is-just-not-realistic/article_c373cc30-fc96-11eb-b6db-0b8d5d25abf5.html

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Call the Buffalo Bills  @ 716-648-1800, and ask for Guest Services

Thanks.  First time I called I was on hold for over an hour and was disconnected <_<.  Trying again - might have to hang up eventually b/c of high level meetings 😛 

Edited by stevewin

OK - I finally got through to someone at Guest Services - sharing info for those interested.

- They weren't really sure if ADA lots always fill up, but did suggest getting there before 11

- When I asked about if ADA 6 would be better to target than 2 b/c it was bigger she said they were the same size (?  they don't look the same size on the map)

- She confirmed once you get in the gate you can locate a guest service person who can provide wheelchair transportation to seat (I forgot to ask about after game - not sure if they leave wheelchair somewhere in/near tunnel, or if someone is waiting with it etc - guess we'll find out Sun)

I think the plan will be to target getting to ADA Lot 6 before 11 and get a wheelchair once we enter the gate.   

Edited by stevewin

I used ADA lot 2 on Sunday to take my 85 year old Mom.  The lot took awhile to fill up, I was surprised.

I was able to wheel my Mom easily into the first level down the "new" sidewalks.  My seats are in 135 but since I called ahead, they were able to move my seats to the 50 yard line.  Mom sat in her wheelchair the entire game and I sat beside her on the platform at the end of the tunnel (to the side of the approach to the stairs).

The only negative to the entire day was the wait getting out to Big Tree from Abbott - it was a snail's pace.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've always had this vision (which admittedly comes from watching too many movies) that the Bills will finally win the SB and Josh Allen will take a game ball and hand it to one of the old timers in the crowd, as if to say "thanks for the long wait".

Well, I hope your dad is at the SB and gets that honor

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I used ADA lot 2 on Sunday to take my 85 year old Mom.  The lot took awhile to fill up, I was surprised.

I was able to wheel my Mom easily into the first level down the "new" sidewalks.  My seats are in 135 but since I called ahead, they were able to move my seats to the 50 yard line.  Mom sat in her wheelchair the entire game and I sat beside her on the platform at the end of the tunnel (to the side of the approach to the stairs).

The only negative to the entire day was the wait getting out to Big Tree from Abbott - it was a snail's pace.

What time did you get there?  I was wondering if getting in/out would be easier Lot 2 vs Lot 6 - but either way we are prepared to just wait it out for a while (which will drive my Dad nuts - one of his big things was always the race to the car in the off-site lot to get out and beat traffic 😛 )

I was surprised the person I talked to said both ADA lots were same capacity when ADA Lot 6 is so much smaller on map - then I remembered from going to ADA Lot 6 for open practice there were a bunch of handicap spots in the 'real' Lot 6 just before the entrance to the actual ADA lot - so am thinking that is lumped in with the capacity.

As far as getting to seat, I said above normally we are in club which I know we'd be able to access w/ ramps - but as fate would have it this time we are upper level so think we'd have to take elevator.  It sounds like someone from guest services should be able to take care of us once we enter the gate to get us where we need to go.

42 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I've always had this vision (which admittedly comes from watching too many movies) that the Bills will finally win the SB and Josh Allen will take a game ball and hand it to one of the old timers in the crowd, as if to say "thanks for the long wait".

Well, I hope your dad is at the SB and gets that honor

My brother and I started also taking our sons with us to the games with my Dad around 15 yrs ago - one game after a disappointing loss in a year the Bills had hope my nephew turned to me and said "I just want Grandpa to see the Bills win the Super Bowl"  ("before he dies" implied).  Will never forget that

Edited by stevewin
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

What time did you get there?  I was wondering if getting in/out would be easier Lot 2 vs Lot 6 - but either way we are prepared to just wait it out for a while (which will drive my Dad nuts - one of his big things was always the race to the car in the off-site lot to get out and beat traffic 😛 )

I was surprised the person I talked to said both ADA lots were same capacity when ADA Lot 6 is so much smaller on map - then I remembered from going to ADA Lot 6 for open practice there were a bunch of handicap spots in the 'real' Lot 6 just before the entrance to the actual ADA lot - so am thinking that is lumped in with the capacity.

As far as getting to seat, I said above normally we are in club which I know we'd be able to access w/ ramps - but as fate would have it this time we are upper level so think we'd have to take elevator.  It sounds like someone from guest services should be able to take care of us once we enter the gate to get us where we need to go.

I got to the lot at 9 - wasn't going to take any chances.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2021 at 6:24 AM, stevewin said:

Questions:

Bonus question:

I’m in a similar situation.  Going to the Colts game with my Dad.  Haven’t been since the early 80’s.

How did it go wrt to the ADA lots?   Fortunately we do not need a wheelchair yet. 

Your observations would be greatly appreciated. 

Go Bills!!!

12 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I’m in a similar situation.  Going to the Colts game with my Dad.  Haven’t been since the early 80’s.

How did it go wrt to the ADA lots?   Fortunately we do not need a wheelchair yet. 

Your observations would be greatly appreciated. 

Go Bills!!!

After some deliberation we decided to do ADA lot 2 instead of ADA lot 6, because it has more spots around the perimeter to set up.  We decided to target 10 AM to get there - since it was raining we didn't think as many people would be getting there early (and trying to get my brother, son, nephew, and Dad going early in the AM is like herding a bunch of very slow tired cats).

We got to the ADA lot a 10 AM and it was already almost full.  We were very lucky to get the last spot on the perimeter to set up our canopy.  My recommendation would be to plan to get there early, even as early as around 9 when it opens, esp if you want to set up around one of the perimeter spots.

The ADA lot was hopping - people had their setups and it was an extremely fun vibe (even with the rain) without being over the top crazy.  We were joking with my Dad that we should have been doing this for years (he's had the placard I think for years but never used it - I didn't even know he had one til recently).  Also bonus - a number of convenient port-a-potties in the lot :) 

We found a transport wheelchair in my Dad's garage from an injury he had a few years ago and took that.  Having the wheelchair from the parking lot made things so much easier.  My Dad has slowed down a bit in the last year - just a couple years ago he was still making the walk from private lots off Abbot (albeit with a number of stops) and always angrily waved of any mention of us trying to figure out a wheelchair or way to get him to the stadium.  This time he willingly accepted it - and it was absolutely key.  He is still mobile, but I think even the walk from the lot to the seats would have been really tough on him. 

Wheeling up to the gate there were long lines, but staff immediately came over and moved us up to the front to get in.  It was like a Disney fastpass.  Once we got in, we stopped at an information booth and they directed us to the elevators to get to the upper deck.  There are unmarked doors near the center of the stadium that lead to the elevator.  Also, I did see at least one guest service person inside the gate with a wheelchair for transportation (funny how you can go to a place for years and not notice certain things)

One thing that was strange to me was for the elevator to the top level, we asked if there was a place to leave the wheelchair when my Dad walked to our seats, and surprisingly they really didn't have a separate room or anything for that - we ended just leaving it in the elevator lobby.  I think that is just part of some of the ad hoc nature of the current handicapp infrastructure in the current stadium which has been highlighted as part of the new stadium discussion.

One thing I cannot emphasize enough is how awesome and helpful every single guest services person we encountered was.  Exceptional.  They all really went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of and were extemely friendly and caring.  It was also very cool how may fans high-fived my Dad and shouted encouraging things as we wheeled him inside the gates.

It was absolutely pouring after the game and we had resigned ourselves before the game that we would just plan to hang out after and let the traffic thin out.  We probably waited about 45 mins to an hour til Abbot was opened up and traffic was moving (that was after really taking our time leaving the inside of the stadium)

So my advice would be plan to get to the ADA lot early - especially if you are setting anything up.  Having a wheelchair from the lot really made things easy - bypassed the lines at the gate and smooth sailing inside the gate.  The guest services people were extremely helpful and friendly with any help/questions.

Have fun! - Go Bills!

Edited by stevewin
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/17/2021 at 9:16 AM, stevewin said:

After some deliberation we decided to do ADA lot 2 instead of ADA lot 6, because it has more spots around the perimeter to set up.  We decided to target 10 AM to get there - since it was raining we didn't think as many people would be getting there early (and trying to get my brother, son, nephew, and Dad going early in the AM is like herding a bunch of very slow tired cats).

We got to the ADA lot a 10 AM and it was already almost full.  We were very lucky to get the last spot on the perimeter to set up our canopy.  My recommendation would be to plan to get there early, even as early as around 9 when it opens, esp if you want to set up around one of the perimeter spots.

The ADA lot was hopping - people had their setups and it was an extremely fun vibe (even with the rain) without being over the top crazy.  We were joking with my Dad that we should have been doing this for years (he's had the placard I think for years but never used it - I didn't even know he had one til recently).  Also bonus - a number of convenient port-a-potties in the lot :) 

We found a transport wheelchair in my Dad's garage from an injury he had a few years ago and took that.  Having the wheelchair from the parking lot made things so much easier.  My Dad has slowed down a bit in the last year - just a couple years ago he was still making the walk from private lots off Abbot (albeit with a number of stops) and always angrily waved of any mention of us trying to figure out a wheelchair or way to get him to the stadium.  This time he willingly accepted it - and it was absolutely key.  He is still mobile, but I think even the walk from the lot to the seats would have been really tough on him. 

Wheeling up to the gate there were long lines, but staff immediately came over and moved us up to the front to get in.  It was like a Disney fastpass.  Once we got in, we stopped at an information booth and they directed us to the elevators to get to the upper deck.  There are unmarked doors near the center of the stadium that lead to the elevator.  Also, I did see at least one guest service person inside the gate with a wheelchair for transportation (funny how you can go to a place for years and not notice certain things)

One thing that was strange to me was for the elevator to the top level, we asked if there was a place to leave the wheelchair when my Dad walked to our seats, and surprisingly they really didn't have a separate room or anything for that - we ended just leaving it in the elevator lobby.  I think that is just part of some of the ad hoc nature of the current handicapp infrastructure in the current stadium which has been highlighted as part of the new stadium discussion.

One thing I cannot emphasize enough is how awesome and helpful every single guest services person we encountered was.  Exceptional.  They all really went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of and were extemely friendly and caring.  It was also very cool how may fans high-fived my Dad and shouted encouraging things as we wheeled him inside the gates.

It was absolutely pouring after the game and we had resigned ourselves before the game that we would just plan to hang out after and let the traffic thin out.  We probably waited about 45 mins to an hour til Abbot was opened up and traffic was moving (that was after really taking our time leaving the inside of the stadium)

So my advice would be plan to get to the ADA lot early - especially if you are setting anything up.  Having a wheelchair from the lot really made things easy - bypassed the lines at the gate and smooth sailing inside the gate.  The guest services people were extremely helpful and friendly with any help/questions.

Have fun! - Go Bills!

I’m coming from I-90 north.  Google says to go Abbott road but I know they close it thus blocking direct access to Lot 2.

How did you get there assuming you are coming from the North?

3 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I’m coming from I-90 north.  Google says to go Abbott road but I know they close it thus blocking direct access to Lot 2.

How did you get there assuming you are coming from the North?

Approach the stadium from Big Tree Road / 20a and take a right on Abbott.  Abbott is only closed directly adjacent to the stadium - it is open up to the ADA lot

On 11/17/2021 at 9:16 AM, stevewin said:

Have fun! - Go Bills!

I’m so glad it worked out, and I can’t say what I would give to take my dad to one more game. The Bills are a bond that has stretched over four generations for us. “Go Bills” were some of the first words my grandson spoke, seriously. 

My 94 year old mom is still alive, but she always slept thru the games when she was young, so that ain’t gonna happen.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.