two years of free preschool plus two years of free community college

This seems like a good idea, but shouldn’t it be run at state or school district level and not the federal level? Ie make it federal law but make school districts fund and execute? 

Biden plan seeks to expand education, from pre-K to college (from @AP)

https://apnews.com/article/a66fb165e28630b0bd3965eae1f62e63 

16 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This seems like a good idea, but shouldn’t it be run at state or school district level and not the federal level? Ie make it federal law but make school districts fund and execute? 

Both ends of this is a terrible idea. Community colleges should be cheap relatively speaking but definitely not free, the student should have some skin in the game. As for the preschool in Florida we have VPK which is funded by the state and was created to help lower socio kids get a head start. Part of requirements to use it is mandatory attendance by kid and those parents who are low do not make their kids go either, so the gap is not being helped. Quality daycare is expensive but it is better than free terrible daycare.

53 minutes ago, Irv said:

I love the way moron-libs say it's "free".  Somebody is paying for it!  What a joke.

What

A

Mess  

That’s true. Free is a misnomer.

But is giving every American child access to public preschool a bad idea?

And on the flip side if they can focus to useful post high school associates degrees, is it a bad idea to have a public trade school option to provide a path to some occupation? 

I feel like this is a topic that shouldn’t be as polarizing as the respective parties try to make it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

And on the flip side if they can focus to useful post high school associates degrees, is it a bad idea to have a public trade school option to provide a path to some occupation? 

I feel like this is a topic that shouldn’t be as polarizing as the respective parties try to make it. 

I think it's a good idea.  This is coming from a guy who has put two kids through St Bonaventure.  But it's not free.    

• Like (+1) 3

Not to steer the conversation in a different direction, but sort of expand on it. I saw a picture of a cat scan of "normal" kids (3 years old) and the ones for neglected kids and you can see a huge difference. 

Why not do a scan of every kid at age two or something to see how they are doing. Kids that are obviously abused or neglected can be located and helped. 

How about it? 

14 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Not to steer the conversation in a different direction, but sort of expand on it. I saw a picture of a cat scan of "normal" kids (3 years old) and the ones for neglected kids and you can see a huge difference. 

Why not do a scan of every kid at age two or something to see how they are doing. Kids that are obviously abused or neglected can be located and helped. 

How about it? 

In theory these things sound idealistic and wonderful, until the  omnipotent institution run by politicians who decide what constitutes “normal”, needs to grow their money, budget, power. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

In theory these things sound idealistic and wonderful, until the  omnipotent institution run by politicians who decide what constitutes “normal”, needs to grow their money, budget, power. 

Or Abby Normal. 

Still, it might save a lot of money going forward as you help people grow into solid contributing citizens instead of something less 

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I agree, the Democrat in me likes this idea. College needs to be more attainable for kids from poor families. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How about it? 

If it actually works, I would be on board with it. This is America, every child should have every tool available to them to help make them positive contributors to our society.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Government interference in the marketplace has made College too expensive. 

I don’t have a better solution, sticking kids with huge student loans isn’t the answer. There’s not much difference between government grants you don’t have to pay back and free college for the first two years. Of course it has to be merit based. 
Along with two years free college, I believe trade schools need to be freely available as well. Not every kid wants to go to college.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Government interference in the marketplace has made College too expensive. 

true the federal Ponzi scheme of federal student loans was as shameful as the 1929 stock market bust.  Typical unintended consequences of these federal programs.  The idealists never think through how actual human behavior will respond to these glorious ideas or how the bureaucrats will take advantage of said programs to grow their own power. 

that’s why it makes sense for a federal requirement that is administered on a state and local level.  Maybe also taxed and paid for at that level. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

How about it? 

Early education is proven to be extremely important.  Access to the children is a huge challenge, however.  I live in a small community and access to our high risk kiddos is our biggest challenge.  It begins with assuming they have transportation.

I would wait to implement any of these programs until we have a President who is not demented.  We don't want another crisis to add to the growing list of things he's botched. 

What

A

Mess