ROCKPILE REVIEW - Bills Roll Over WFT

Shaw66

Ha ha ha ha!!!

Ha ha ha!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

The Bills beat the Washington Football Team on Sunday.  In a word, it was a laugher.  Final score: 43-21, but as they say, it wasn’t that close. 

When the Patriots recovered after a disastrous first half to beat Atlanta in the Super Bowl, someone asked Bill Belichick after the game if the coaches were worried at halftime.  He answered that they didn’t feel too badly, because they were competitive on the field, they just weren’t competitive on the scoreboard.  Well, late in the first half against the Bills, WFT was competitive on the scoreboard, 21-14, but they weren’t competitive in the game.  In fact, the game was over shortly after the opening kickoff; we just didn’t know it yet.  Washington couldn’t stop the Bills, and Washington couldn’t move the ball against the Bills. 

Everyone knows that WFT made exactly two plays in the game, two that resulted in two touchdowns.  Other than those two plays, the Bills completely dominated from start to finish.  The first was a picture-perfect screen pass and run on second and eight from their own 27.  Antonio Gibson’s catch and run, finished off when he reached for the pylon following Tre’Davious White’s spectacular downfield sprint and hit, was a beautiful football play. 

The second was the ensuing kickoff, when Dustin Hopkins (remember Dustin Hopkins?) lifted the kick high into the fierce wind.  Isaiah McKenzie at first looked like he played it well, but the ball stopped in the wind.  Stopped.  And drifted left, falling to the ground in the great no-man’s land that the Bills’ special teams unit leaves between two rows of blockers upfield and McKenzie.  McKenzie didn’t get close to catching it, and after WFT batted it around a bit, Hopkins recovered one of the odder, albeit unintentional, on-side kicks even seen.  A few plays later, Washington scored, and suddenly it was 21-14 – competitive on the scoreboard, maybe, but not on the field.  Late in the half, two Bills field goals made it 27-14, confirming that the game was over.

Washington’s offense isn’t very good, especially with Ryan Fitzpatrick not on the field, and their defense is worse.   They give up passing yards in big chunks, and they were just what the doctor ordered for Josh Allen’s early-season passing ills.  Beasley, Sanders, and Diggs each caught a bunch of passes, long, short, and in-between.   Josh’s touch returned on several passes.  None was better than the touchdown pass to Sanders, when Allen got rid of it in a hurry but still somehow floated a catchable ball low and away.  He dropped a perfect long ball into Sanders later in the game.  He found Beasley with multiple fireballs, and Beasley thrives on balls coming in hot. 

The defense didn’t miss out on the fun.  But for that 73-yarder, the Bills would have given up a total of 217 yards.  75 of those 217 came on WFT’s meaningless final drive of the game.   The Bills defense simply gave Washington nothing.  The Bills had one sack for zero yards, and it didn’t matter.  They showed none of the exotic pass-rush schemes we saw a week ago – they rushed four down linemen over and over, generating very little quick pressure.   The Bills knew they didn’t need pass rush – their back seven allowed pretty much nothing except one screen pass. 

It was an odd game in a few ways. 

The wind was brutal again Sunday.  It blew from hard to very hard.   Justin Tucker may have kicked a 66-yarder to win on Sunday, but given the opportunity to kick to the closed end of Highmark Stadium, Tyler Bass would have been good from 70.   He crushed it in warmups and on kickoffs in that direction. 

There weren’t any big plays, because by definition a big play is a game-changing play, a play that may determine the outcome of the game.  Plenty of guys made good plays – Taron Johnson, Dawson Knox, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde, Matt Milano, McKenzie, but if they hadn’t made their plays, someone else would have.   There was no way Washington was winning that game.

On fourth and two, how did Josh Allen manage to complete a pass for zero yards?  I mean, I get that on third and seven or fourth and eight, the only thing the defense may give you is short of the sticks.  But really, why are the Bills throwing short of the sticks on fourth and TWO?  No matter though, because just like there were no big plays, there were no bad plays.  The Bills went for it on fourth and two because, well, it just didn’t matter. 

It was a good day.  The Dolphins lost, the Patriots lost, the Jets were the Jets, the Chiefs lost, and the Bills threw another win on the pile.   They’re on their way. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 8

I like the momentum this game gives us, especially while some other top teams stumbled. Winning record now and I don't think we'll be looking back.

This also helps silence the folks that were worried about Josh Allen, which I counted myself as in that camp. Can't wait to see more of this.

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

On fourth and two, how did Josh Allen manage to complete a pass for zero yards?  I mean, I get that on third and seven or fourth and eight, the only thing the defense may give you is short of the sticks.  But really, why are the Bills throwing short of the sticks on fourth and TWO?  No matter though, because just like there were no big plays, there were no bad plays.  The Bills went for it on fourth and two because, well, it just didn’t matter. 

My son and I were talking a lot about that play - He is 14 and just getting into the understanding of football.  I really think Singletary did a terrible job with that route.  

My guess is that is how he ran the route in practice in the past and it worked because against a non aggressive defense that coverage drops off half a step and gets caught up.  Singletary had to take a more aggressive step coming off the line to get his defender to back up and he had to get to the 1st down stick on the route.  

The fact it was 4th down meant the D was more aggressive and the poor route doomed the play.  The worst part was that is a very tough throw and an even tougher catch and the Bills got that right, but the easy part - the route depth - they failed on.

The good thing though - at least it wasn’t the Miami play on their 1 that cost them both points, the ball, and ultimately the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh got a little blocking in front of him, we could run the ball a bit, Good Josh is back, and the defense continues to smother. To me, these were the ultimate take aways other than the “W”.  Play like that and this could be a season to remember! 

These Bills make me happy! 

44 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Good write up of a pretty uneventful game. (Which are hard to come by in today’s competitive NFL.) Having noticed the Steelers losing two since the opener it makes me wonder what happened? 

Theyre 0-2 in games where TJ Watt doesn't play...not too surprising.  Their offense is not good but their receivers made some big plays against us.  We were kind of the victim of Tomlin getting whooped by the NE offense for years and having a solid game plan against it cux our offense is pretty similar 

53 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Good write up of a pretty uneventful game. (Which are hard to come by in today’s competitive NFL.) Having noticed the Steelers losing two since the opener it makes me wonder what happened? 

Matchups, an excellent D line, first game was practically like a preseason game in terms of team development, maybe the Bills had been reading their press clippings a little too much, etc., etc., but whatever)

I think the season is divided into four quarters, four games each (now there's an extra game but whtever).  Your objective is to go 3-1 every quarter.   Bills have to go 1-0 next week, and they've finished the first quarter 3-1.   4-0 would be nicer, but 3-1 is what you need.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Muppy said:

I think this is the closest to giddy Ive ever read from you Shaw lol great to read you again

You know, Mup, I'm not all that excited about this win.   I didn't think the Bills were great.   I thought they were a very good team playing a very weak team.  A really great win would have had some sacks.   The running game would have been something more than an after-thought, again.  

This was just the Bills handling a team that couldn't compete.   When it got to 21-14, the Bills didn't panic.  They should have finished the next drive with a TD instead of a field goal.   In some ways, the best series of the game was the last of the first half.   After the Bills went up 24-14 with that field goal, the question was whether Washington would mount a drive in the final minutes of the half to get a TD or at least a field goal.  Instead, the Bills made the defensive stop and Allen took them on a quick, long drive to tack on one more field goal.  That drive showed everyone who was the boss. 

3 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Maybe 3 big plays, Heineken's run for a TD was also pretty good.

Really the Bills were only bad for about 54 seconds in that game. 

True. 

What's fun about blow-out wins is that you can take a minute to appreciate good plays that the opponent makes, too.   

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, Mup, I'm not all that excited about this win.   I didn't think the Bills were great.   I thought they were a very good team playing a very weak team.  A really great win would have had some sacks.   The running game would have been something more than an after-thought, again.  

This was just the Bills handling a team that couldn't compete.   When it got to 21-14, the Bills didn't panic.  They should have finished the next drive with a TD instead of a field goal.   In some ways, the best series of the game was the last of the first half.   After the Bills went up 24-14 with that field goal, the question was whether Washington would mount a drive in the final minutes of the half to get a TD or at least a field goal.  Instead, the Bills made the defensive stop and Allen took them on a quick, long drive to tack on one more field goal.  That drive showed everyone who was the boss. 

I loved your opening laughter it was the clincher LOL we all need to laugh More. And enjoy this while it lasts. BUCKLE UP :-)))))))))))

• Shaw66 changed the title to ROCKPILE REVIEW - Bills Roll Over WFT
8 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Josh Allen on 97 yard drive to start second half, “A long drive, it takes the wind out of their sails, for sure,” didn’t he get that wrong? Isn’t it “sail out of their winds”?

Regardless of the quote, that drive was the classic old school NE/Brady style drive that just crushes any hope the defense might have of getting back into this game. It was beautiful to be on the other side of that for once. I have PTSD from years of watching Brady just dink and dunk his way down the field, watching the defense just slump after each converted 3rd down, knowing that a TD is inevitable and all hope is lost.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Josh Allen on 97 yard drive to start second half, “A long drive, it takes the wind out of their sails, for sure,” didn’t he get that wrong? Isn’t it “sail out of their winds”?

Only if you are Hank Bullough

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

My son and I were talking a lot about that play - He is 14 and just getting into the understanding of football.  I really think Singletary did a terrible job with that route.  

My guess is that is how he ran the route in practice in the past and it worked because against a non aggressive defense that coverage drops off half a step and gets caught up.  Singletary had to take a more aggressive step coming off the line to get his defender to back up and he had to get to the 1st down stick on the route.  

The fact it was 4th down meant the D was more aggressive and the poor route doomed the play.  The worst part was that is a very tough throw and an even tougher catch and the Bills got that right, but the easy part - the route depth - they failed on.

The good thing though - at least it wasn’t the Miami play on their 1 that cost them both points, the ball, and ultimately the game.

If it is the play I think it is, it looked to me like Diggs was supposed to rub/pick the lb Davis. Davis avoided him, and  Allen's pass, while right to Singletary, didn't lead him so that he could turn it up field and try to outrun Davis to the sticks. I wasn't thrilled with the play call or the result but some credit to Davis for reading it right.

3 minutes ago, uninja said:

Regardless of the quote, that drive was the classic old school NE/Brady style drive that just crushes any hope the defense might have of getting back into this game. It was beautiful to be on the other side of that for once. I have PTSD from years of watching Brady just dink and dunk his way down the field, watching the defense just slump after each converted 3rd down, knowing that a TD is inevitable and all hope is lost.

It was a joke, Josh got the metaphor right. I was referencing former Bills head coach Hank Bullough who famously got it wrong.

• Haha (+1) 1