Rookie Josh Allen vs Rookie Zach Wilson

Inigo Montoya

39 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Wilson is a bust. Worst QB in the class. I’ve been saying it since draft day. His mother is smokeshow though. So he’s got that going for him which is pretty nice

We are only 3 games into the season and we already want to call everyone a bust.  Fields and Wilson are working on teams without much talent and will take a few years to have the right cast.   Give them the time to grow and mature in the NFL

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Jets' Nation is aflame right now after their 0-3 start.  It's not just the losing, but the way they are losing.  I don't think anyone expected Wilson to come out and light it up like Mahomes did, but Wilson really has looked bad.  The lack of an O-Line isn't doing him any favors either.  It looks like this year's O-Line for the Jets may be worse than last year's, and that is saying something.

It's way too early to say that Wilson is a bust, but even when Josh was a rookie and the Bills were struggling to win games, Josh was making plays, leading the offense, and Josh was at the heart of anything good that the offense did.  Josh wasn't taking the league by storm his rookie season, but you could see that the guy was a baller and that he had a ceiling that he wasn't anywhere close to reaching yet.  Josh flashed almost every game and teased what he was capable of that rookie season.

Watching Wilson play, you just don't get that sense.  Wilson just isn't playing well and he's not flashing.  He's getting hammered behind an inept O-Line, he has happy feet, and he is throwing picks  Through three games Wilson has thrown for 2 TDs, 7 INTs, and has been sacked 15 times. 

Even if Wilson just needs some time to develop, it looks like the Jets are doing their best Sam Darnold re-run and providing Wilson with zero support.  For a franchise that has had so much draft capital and tons of cap space, the team they have put around Wilson this year is pitiful.  This has to be Joe Douglas' last season.

Josh didn't win much his first season but he played well enough to give people hope that he could turn into a real NFL QB.  So far with Wilson that's not the case.   It looks like the new Jets GM will have a big decision on what to do with that first overall pick next year...

I love Allen and wanted him to be the QB they drafted.  I didn't like Wilson coming out of college and still think Trey Lance will be the best QB from that class - even over Trevor Lawrence.  Of course I was high on Justin Fields too and he looks putrid so far.  

Your memory is a bit foggy.  Allen was really bad before he got hurt.  Even after he got hurt and came back he was still not good.  His completion percentage in 2018 was 52.8%.  There were many many people on this board that had already written him off.  They won't admit it now of course.  He flashed for his running ability not his ability as a passer in 2018.  

The difference you feel between the two, is Allen has physical tools that only 2 or 3 other QBs in the league have.  Allen's degree of improvement had never been seen in the NFL before.  The closest comparison in playing style and career arc is probably John Elway - only Elway took longer to develop as a QB.  When I look at Wilson I don't see a dynamic player.  Wilson reminds me of Kirk Cousins.  He might be good but ultimately he is physically limited.  That said I didn't see Mahommes being this good either so let's just sit back and see what happens.  

Jets' Nation is aflame right now after their 0-3 start.  It's not just the losing, but the way they are losing.  I don't think anyone expected Wilson to come out and light it up like Mahomes did, but Wilson really has looked bad.  The lack of an O-Line isn't doing him any favors either.  It looks like this year's O-Line for the Jets may be worse than last year's, and that is saying something.

It's way too early to say that Wilson is a bust, but even when Josh was a rookie and the Bills were struggling to win games, Josh was making plays, leading the offense, and Josh was at the heart of anything good that the offense did.  Josh wasn't taking the league by storm his rookie season, but you could see that the guy was a baller and that he had a ceiling that he wasn't anywhere close to reaching yet.  Josh flashed almost every game and teased what he was capable of that rookie season.

Watching Wilson play, you just don't get that sense.  Wilson just isn't playing well and he's not flashing.  He's getting hammered behind an inept O-Line, he has happy feet, and he is throwing picks  Through three games Wilson has thrown for 2 TDs, 7 INTs, and has been sacked 15 times. 

Even if Wilson just needs some time to develop, it looks like the Jets are doing their best Sam Darnold re-run and providing Wilson with zero support.  For a franchise that has had so much draft capital and tons of cap space, the team they have put around Wilson this year is pitiful.  This has to be Joe Douglas' last season.

Josh didn't win much his first season but he played well enough to give people hope that he could turn into a real NFL QB.  So far with Wilson that's not the case.   It looks like the new Jets GM will have a big decision on what to do with that first overall pick next year...

I remember when Mel Kiper was hyping Josh before his draft year so I caught the Wyoming Iowa game. He had a play where it looked like the entire Iowa defensive line broke through their blocks and he literally shook off every single sack attempt on him and still got a pass off to the end zone and I remember thinking hey this kid maybe something…..having seen a few of Wilson’s BYU games I saw nothing at all that showed me top five NFL potential…like zero 

He sounds like Wrong Josh II.

46 minutes ago, ganesh said:

We are only 3 games into the season and we already want to call everyone a bust.  Fields and Wilson are working on teams without much talent and will take a few years to have the right cast.   Give them the time to grow and mature in the NFL

Josh had zero talent around him and showed plenty of flashes his rookie season to be fair...but yea its def too early still.  Dude made Robert foster look like an all pro 

• Agree 1

Wilson has no elite weapons, a bad offensive line, a rookie Head Coach, no run game.

It’s not going to look good.

Remember Allen’s game against Green Bay. 

He may prove to be too erratic, but the Jets haven’t been able to flip their skill position players in one off-season. 

Fields took 8 sacks today.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Like most sequels, this is going to end worst than the first for the Jets 😁😁😁

Good thread, I agree he looks rough. He's got some weapons, they've definitely been trying with the draft and FA's but it looks like Mims might also be a bust. Elijah Moore is already hurt and I remember many on here interested in him. They keep drafting backs but none of them really do anything. Seems like they've pretty much given up on Perine already. It's a poorly managed team perhaps but Wilson still looks awful.

And hey if you're looking for a cherry for that Zach Wilson might be a bust sundae, Mac Jones also looks bad. And if you want another cherry, there's Tua. It's nice being in the AFC East right now.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He should of never seen the field this year. They should of let Darnold take these lumps or signed someone. Him and Lawrence both look completely lost right now. But Wilson at times looks like he’s never really played quarterback before. It’s like seeing that poor Denver receiver last year getting thrown in the fire. 

That flee flicker attempt from Lawrence was hysterical. I still think Lawrence turns out to being a bust. 

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

That hasn’t aged very well lol. Wonder what his opinion is now

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Wilson is a bust. Worst QB in the class. I’ve been saying it since draft day. His mother is smokeshow though. So he’s got that going for him which is pretty nice

I've never been able to tell which one if his mom and which is his GF. They look eerily similar. 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Give Justin Fields another couple games...

At his current rate, he'd just need 1 more.. if he survives that long. 

Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson were drafted high by teams that were the worst in the league , whereas Mahomes and JA were drafted by decent teams that traded up for them, so they both were coming into much better team talent situations.

Also, Trevor and Zach are both with rookie head coaches which certainly does not help

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.