9/26/21 Bills vs. WTF Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

He was very underwhelming yesterday.

The guy on the locked on Washington podcast was right about him when he said he's not really a difference maker

The Bills had a good plan for him - they realized Williams couldn’t match up with him athletically but also realized he rushes the same way every time, so they seemed to scheme for Williams to let him rush deep and push him past Josh, who would simply step up and to the right past Young, over and over again.  Washington never countered this.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

He was very underwhelming yesterday.

The guy on the locked on Washington podcast was right about him when he said he's not really a difference maker

Not enough interior push.... and sweat on the other side was totally handled.  Williams and Allen were in sync just creating lanes for him to escape the pocket all afternoon.  When they did muddy it up allen escaped around the edge and made plays.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Not enough interior push.... and sweat on the other side was totally handled.  Williams and Allen were in sync just creating lanes for him to escape the pocket all afternoon.  When they did muddy it up allen escaped around the edge and made plays.  

They used Young’s speed against him and he seemed unable to counter.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

The Bills had a good plan for him - they realized Williams couldn’t match up with him athletically but also realized he rushes the same way every time, so they seemed to scheme for Williams to let him rush deep and push him past Josh, who would simply step up and to the right past Young, over and over again.  Washington never countered this.

Yep - its why NE never had a ton of big sack #'s guys.  They preach rush depth so you don't get caught up field like that.

Here’s a tid bit from Grazianos weekly “Overreaction” article. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/32287437/judging-week-3-nfl-overreactions-rams-new-super-bowl-favorites-how-bad-steelers

The Bills are the best team in the AFC

Buffalo's offense might not have looked like its dominant 2020 self in the first two games of the season, but it woke up in a massive way Sunday. Josh Allen threw four touchdown passes and ran for another score in a 43-21 victory over Washington. (Remember when Washington was supposed to have one of the league's best defenses? We were all so young.)

It was the second game in Allen's career in which he had more than 300 passing yards, four passing touchdowns and a rushing touchdown. The only other quarterbacks who ever had more than one such game are Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning, so that's pretty solid. This looked like the Bills offense we remember from November and December of 2020, when it was pretty much setting fire to the league on a weekly basis.

The verdict: NOT AN OVERREACTION. The Bills were the AFC runner-up last season, so it was never going to be a stretch to think they might take one more step and become the conference's best team. The Chiefs, who have won the conference two years in a row, fell to 1-2 with a division loss to the Chargers, and the Browns' Week 1 collapse is really the only reason Kansas City isn't 0-3

Now, the Bills did lose to the Steelers in Week 1, which puts them in a group of AFC teams that are 2-1 so far. And the Broncos and Raiders are each 3-0. But meaning no disrespect to what those teams have done so far, it's fair if you want to use Buffalo's 2020 season and our preseason opinion of the Bills as a means of elevating their expectations over those of Vegas and Denver.

Still, there are 14 more regular-season games and the playoffs left to decide all of this, so it really doesn't matter what we think (or even what the reality is) through Week 3. But if you had the Bills representing the AFC in the Super Bowl this season, you're feeling a lot better about that pick after they outscored their opponents 88-21 over Weeks 2 and 3

52 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Hmmm I would mostly agree with you.

I thought Payne was beating Ford pretty easily though.

At least early in the game.

Seemed like Ford played better as the game went on though and the interior pass rush was definitely missing for Washington later on to your point.

2 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

What does the NY Times know about Allen and his game? Their articles are opinions and meant to get clicks. So you're going with the.....Because this one article backed me up, my really bad opinion was justified?

I never said you had called for Allen's head, I said you probably would've if he only threw for what Jones threw for against Washington last week.

The players you named off never had the passing season like Allen had last year and that's with him playing injured for 4 1/2 games.

If the game was close like the Giants vs Washington game last week, Allen would've easily hit 400 yards passing maybe even getting close to 500. He's in a different league than the players you listed.

Knocking off the rust, in the beginning of the year, while only playing 30 minutes together in preseason is not marginal, it's reality. 

Where was your outcry about the offensive line that was getting blown up on passing plays the first 2 weeks or the spotty play calling. It was a collective effort, not just on Josh.

You jumped the gun by a mile and still won't admit, it's ok everyone here already knows. Even now, this game wasn't good enough for you to believe, you just kicked the can down a couple games until we play KC & Tennessee. 

1. You are missing the point with the times. The questioning if Allen is or will regress is a valid one; especially, after his first 2 games of the season. Time will tell and surely you would agree one good game at home vs a porous Wash D isn't the end all to the debate.

2. Your assumption of me for calling for Allen's head is ludicrous. I was critical of his play, his mechanics, footwork, and accuracy. Questioning if he has regressed or will. After 2 games, I don't think it was an absurd thought process. Obviously, you and others disagree. The counter arguments are valid. The only real way to know is by watching how the season plays out. 

3. Knocking off the rust is not acceptable. Are you saying the coaching staff and the players were unprepared? Stop with the unfounded bs excuses. You are better than that.

4. I've reiterated on numerous occasions the Oline issues, poor play calling, opposing defenses, and lack of run game/threat contributed to Allen's mediocre at best play. Low and behold we are in agreement here. 

5. Perhaps I overreacted. That remains to be seen. The game Allen played vs Wash was a thing of beauty. I enjoyed every minute of his excellent play. Your assumption that I "kicked the can" is not founded nor supported with facts. It's merely a cheap shot. 

Let's move on. I look forward to remaining civil and discussing various Bills topics. It's ok to disagree. 

Have a blessed day. Go Bills!!!

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I saw #25 About to take off full speed toward Moss and Josh basically did it to get 25 to get off his mark. If we could see the actual film you would see where #25 is looking and about to take off for #20.

Edited by TBBills

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

1. You are missing the point with the times. The questioning if Allen is or will regress is a valid one; especially, after his first 2 games of the season. Time will tell and surely you would agree one good game at home vs a porous Wash D isn't the end all to the debate.

2. Your assumption of me for calling for Allen's head is ludicrous. I was critical of his play, his mechanics, footwork, and accuracy. Questioning if he has regressed or will. After 2 games, I don't think it was an absurd thought process. Obviously, you and others disagree. The counter arguments are valid. The only real way to know is by watching how the season plays out. 

3. Knocking off the rust is not acceptable. Are you saying the coaching staff and the players were unprepared? Stop with the unfounded bs excuses. You are better than that.

4. I've reiterated on numerous occasions the Oline issues, poor play calling, opposing defenses, and lack of run game/threat contributed to Allen's mediocre at best play. Low and behold we are in agreement here. 

5. Perhaps I overreacted. That remains to be seen. The game Allen played vs Wash was a thing of beauty. I enjoyed every minute of his excellent play. Your assumption that I "kicked the can" is not founded nor supported with facts. It's merely a cheap shot. 

Let's move on. I look forward to remaining civil and discussing various Bills topics. It's ok to disagree. 

Have a blessed day. Go Bills!!!

What does regression actually look like? Is it simply a function of lesser stats from one year to the next? Because if it is, then Josh will be in some great company if thst ends up being the case. 

I think the entire Josh Allen “regression” narrative is a vestige of that group of hardcore pundits who still insist on having to be right about Josh Allen coming out of Wyoming. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That exact gameplan has been done to us many times over the years too especially the jauron days

16 hours ago, uninja said:

he’s also got enough tape from last year that any DC worth his salt is like “make sure you know where 13 is” because he roasted defenses all last season on sandlot and sideline plays. 

Sanders is an unknown quantity for a lot of defenses so covering him in this play design is still a work in progress. 

Not only that but going into the game Sanders catch % was like 42 or 43% or so - “go ahead and double 14”

Now that we held the Manny Sands Emergence Party, DCs spinning the prayer wheels

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not only that but going into the game Sanders catch % was like 42 or 43% or so - “go ahead and double 14”

Now that we held the Manny Sands Emergence Party, DCs spinning the prayer wheels

DC's trying to gameplan for this offense like:

Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Haha (+1) 1