9/26/21 Bills vs. WTF Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

21 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If I had one criticism of this game, it was ST. In 3 games this year, I think we have been outplayed on ST in at least two of those games.  Today, it was the KO turnover and a penalty negating the nice McKenzie return. They did down the one punt inside the 5. But I think they lost the ST battle overall today. 

we invest too much in ST to have it be a real negative mark on this team. 

the ko thing is…..random and freakish 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think you guys are being too hard on him.  He has a huge ceiling, IMO. if I am Rivera, I think about giving him a long hard look as the starter. 

(The forcing thing is more of a maturity thing— you’d rather see that than a Charlie checkdown). 

He doesn’t have the arm talent to be consistently good in the NFL. Not with today’s offenses

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

You should. It was knee jerk. 

Perhaps. I think you are one of those people who dislikes any criticism of Allen. I'm not afraid to give praise or criticism. 

My comments weren't out of left field. There was an article posted here that stated Allen may regress. Pointbisnt if he does or doesn't. The premise is real an open to debate. People shouldn't be so quick to inappropriately attacks others opinions on here. You seem to be on the borderline here. 

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

To be honest, I wonder if the wind helped snap Allen out of it today. He couldn't put the touch on it like he did last week and was effectively forced to use his powerful arm and confidence in order to succeed to which he did in spades. 

Allen can take the top off defenses with that arm by hitting the deep ones, and open bigger holes in the intermediate zones. Hitting a low percentage, teams can run a Steeler/Miami plan to try to load the short and intermediate zones and dare the over the top throws. Most of the time, if Allen stays patient it won’t stop the Bills, but drives with look like that 1st of 3Q. Even in loaded short zones when a receiver sits in a hole the ball is going to arrive before the defender or even a robber. God help the NFL if Allen ever does start hitting even half the deep heaves that a Mahomes or Rodgers or Wilson does. That’s the unschemeable QB of the wettest Offensive Coordinator dreams.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think you guys are being too hard on him.  He has a huge ceiling, IMO. if I am Rivera, I think about giving him a long hard look as the starter. 

(The forcing thing is more of a maturity thing— you’d rather see that than a Charlie checkdown). 

Made a lot of bad decisions and so-so arm strength. Plucky guy with a lot of compete. You see upside bjt I don't think he's a franchise guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

No way is that KO freakish. That is just a total mental error— and something that has to be coached into these guys. Short kick like That— you go get it and call a fair catch. 

Yep.  That’s 2 huge special teams blunders. One cost us a game.  This one luckily didn’t.  Bills special teams coach should be on extremely thin ice.  Unacceptable.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

That is a shame.  Gab is so skilled.  He will get his playing time as the season goes on.

I look at it this way, Gabe gets to rest the ankle, while the other three have the potential to get nicked up over a couple of weeks.  When one does get a bit nicked up, Gabe comes in as the third and one gets less snaps, and gets healthy again.  With Knox seemingly early to tell, but maybe finally made progress in his ball handling skills (TD catch was awesome and not an easy catch), and one of the two RB’s, we have da da da da, depth.

If Gabe’s 100%, I hope he gets some snaps with the Texans, but if not 100%, not 90%, let him sit for most of next week as we surely need him going gang busters at the Chiefs.  I like this team on 11 personnel.  They have the most flexibility amd balance in this formation.  We don’t have a second TE garnering a 12 personnel formation, but at times, not often, 21 with Gilliam and pick you’re RB could be effective.  It would be specific to the opponent.  I think we need to stay away from 10 and empty sets.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Nope. Just that fact that you were so shook coming into the week and felt the need to make sure we all knew it. 

Allen is a superstar. Cool your negative jets. 

I was so negative that I predicted a Bills victory. I was wrongbon the game script but my negative as$ still called out a Bills victory. Sorry. if you can't handle my "negative jets."  Can you handle my "positive jets" for this week. 

• Eyeroll 1

35 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Perhaps. I think you are one of those people who dislikes any criticism of Allen. I'm not afraid to give praise or criticism. 

My comments weren't out of left field. There was an article posted here that stated Allen may regress. Pointbisnt if he does or doesn't. The premise is real an open to debate. People shouldn't be so quick to inappropriately attacks others opinions on here. You seem to be on the borderline here. 

You’re wrong. Allen sucked the first 2 weeks. The difference is I’ve seen enough from 2019 to 2020 to understand it would workout… you are 100% underselling your tone this whole last week. It was annoyingly negative

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, appoo said:

the ko thing is…..random and freakish 

He doesn’t have the arm talent to be consistently good in the NFL. Not with today’s offenses

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

No way is that KO freakish. That is just a total mental error— and something that has to be coached into these guys. Short kick like That— you go get it and call a fair catch. 

How often though do you see that happen, not very much.  They may not have practiced that in over a month due to the limited amount of practice time today.  Instead they spend their time working on things that happen at a more frequent rate.  Not an excuse, just reality.  It wasn't just a short kick either, was more a tweener, between two levels of players and both kind of likely assumed the other would get it and likely also with players not normally handling the ball as much.

I do wonder if that kick was actually planned by Washington, or just the result of the kick getting held up in the wind and ending up a high short one?

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The way it bounced away is freakish. 

5 hours ago, Nitro said:

Some big game ending.  66 FG for Ravens.  Chargers beating the Chiefs.  NE and Pitt losing.  Great SUnday

Dolphins losing was the chef's kiss.

• Like (+1) 1

A few quick thoughts and observations about the game:

- Allen was fantastic in every way. In total command with great foot work, pocket awareness, accuracy, and vision. It was great to see!

- Great to see how the Bills mixed in the run and short quick passes. I think being more balanced and the threat of running is a recipe to win. 

- Daboll called a near flawless game.

- Bills have a great receiving core. Diggs, Beasley, and Sanders. Wow!

- Knox has become an assest. When have the Bills had such a TE? Maybe back to Pete Metzalaars. 

-Defense looks really good. Milano is a beast and Edmunds not so much.

- Please no more special teams turnovers.

- Bass is really good just case in he goes under the radar.

Lastly, it sure was fun to be a Bills fan today. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i would agree with that. But you cannot let that ball hit the ground. I am going to go and re-watch it, but it was either on McK or the up guys to

fair catch that. 

The wind made doing that risky. The ball was dying and dropping all day.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The wind made doing that risky. The ball was dying and dropping all day.

but that’s the only play there. You let the ball hit the ground and it is a live ball. I am pretty sure it is ST 101 That on short high kicks, the guy closest to it calls a fair catch, even if it means the up guy. 

To me, that was a mental mistake/coaching failure more than a wind issue. 

• Disagree 2