Wow Bills Fans, it's been ten years already since....

Another Fan

Week 3 against the Patriots, 9/25/2011.  The day the fifteen game losing streak against the Patriots ended.  

Besides it being like a really great day, the date always stands in my mind as well as it was my first trek to a Bills game.  Couldn't beat it.  Random fans coming up high-fiving me at the end of the game because I had on Bills gear, one fan behind me even hugged me.  Complete but organized pandemonium after Lindell hit that winning field goal.  

If anyone goes to the Buffalo History Museum this game is displayed as one of the greatest in franchise history.  Obviously not the greatest but still....

After this play the stadium felt it was gonna collapse in the upper deck how hard people were cheering.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-QbwCO_bXg

It's the Florence pick 6 that day, I displayed it as a link due to copyright issues.

All these years later while it's still special it's kind of bittersweet.  The game unfortunately never led to any long term success, especially with that core group of guys.  Still had to wait another 6 years for the drought to end.

But I think it's probably still the last big celebration like that at The Ralph?  I mean even with this success of recent years:

2017: last game was in Miami, it was more a celebration of the Bengal play

2019: the big wins came on the road against Pittsburgh & Dallas

2020: the pandemic 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

It was great, but kind of sad that we remember it so well. It's like a guy who never had much luck with the opposite sex remembering every detail of the two times in his life he got laid.

Wow that’s rough…sorry to hear this.  Maybe take a page out of Kraft’s book? 

• Haha (+1) 2

My in-laws were visiting that week. I hate watching games with my FIL because he's so negative, so whenever they're in town on a game day, my wife takes them on a day trip so I can watch the game in peace. By the time they got back, I was watching the late afternoon game. My wife saw the final score of the Bills game, did a double-take, and said, "Wow." I just smiled. I had a nice celebratory buzz at that point, too. 🙂

Dray-Flo's pick six was one high point, but I'll never forget Moorman jumping Lindell when he kicked the game-winning FG. I think I got down on my knees and bowed to the TV.

DF.JPG

RL.JPG

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

It was great, but kind of sad that we remember it so well. It's like a guy who never had much luck with the opposite sex remembering every detail of the two times in his life he got laid.

Haha, it was certainly our 'superbowl' of the drought years so to speak.

For me though I associated most with 'Peak Fitz' in that this is essentially the game that earned him the ill advised extension and coincidentally our season went into the toilet shortly after when I believe we finished 6-10 after a 5-2 start.

Watching it on tv from 1100 miles away, the roar of the crowd on the Pick 6 was unforgettably incredible! 

The kneel downs prior to the GW FG after Freddie was determined to be short of the goal line was almost anti-climatic compared to the BONK off Darius’ helmet.

• Like (+1) 1

In terms of pure excitement and absolute craziness, that one is right near the top of the list. I'll never forget how completely bonkers that place was when it happened.

The only other times I can recall that compare is, of course, the pick-6 against Baltimore last year, and the craziness of the Dallas MNF game all those years ago.

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, yeah, but big picture at the time was 5-0.

Well it was a week 3 game so it was just 3-0.

But I think some of the celebration came because at the time it looked like the Patriots stranglehold over the division was starting to weaken.  They had lost to the Jets in the playoffs the year before and now the Bills it looked like got the NE monkey off their back.

Years later I wonder if I had looked at it more objectively versus as a fan I could have picked up that team wasn't built for long term success?  

• Agree 1

Yeah that's the game that got me a girlfriend who turned into a fiance.  She remembered how the comeback gave me the courage to ask her to be my girlfriend, and much later when we were at the game where we were getting thumped by Seattle in Toronto, she randomly asked me "so if the Bills come back and win this game too, I get a proposal, right?"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Talley56 said:

Play of the game: Devin McCourty tackling Fred Jackson at the 1.

And Belichick frantically challenging the play, claiming that Fred scored the touchdown.  I thought he was going to stroke out.  I don't know that have seen before or since, a coach challenging to try to get a touchdown called for the other team.

• Like (+1) 1