Pegulas invite UB football to new stadium. UB prefers to stay on campus.

PromoTheRobot

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Keeping a team in Buffalo does nothing to help the owners maximize profit, even with a downtown stadium. We are fortunate that the Rams moved from St. Louis and the city sued Jerry Jones over it. He doesn’t want another situation like that on his hands (whether STL has a case or not). 

And why should the NFL fear Bezos?  A team in London will be a failure. 

Sued Pegula and the other 30 owners too...

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

As someone who lived in dorms when I went to UB that is not true.

Most of the NYers and Lon G'Islanders went home to their rich mommy and daddy (rich but too cheap to pay for private colleges) but there were plenty of students there off campus and on.   We even had an event one year on Thanksgiving and watched football.   

So NYers (i assume you mean NYC) and LI'ers who went to UB were "most"ly rich kids with "cheap" parents?

Yes, SUNY Buffalo is a well known bastion for the downstate scions of the rich, lol.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

You must have gotten wood typing that. But guess who voted against the move…

If correcting your false posts gave me wood, I would have needed surgical priapism correction over a decade ago. 

Doesn't do it for me doc.  Who draws wood shooting fish in a barrel?

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If correcting your false posts gave me wood, I would have needed surgical priapism correction over a decade ago. 

Doesn't do it for me doc.  Who draws wood shooting fish in a barrel?

Sure. It’s the “hero worship.”

And what you really need is Prevagen.  With a Haldol chaser.

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you keep mentioning hero worship.  This isn't the "Shady" McCoy thread doc.  Maybe you meant to start another?

Why? So you can twist yourself into knots over why shady should be guilty for stuff he didn’t do?

But “hero worship” was your excuse for why you don’t like Terry.  Maybe one day you’ll admit the real reason but it’s not like it really matters, does it?

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why? So you can twist yourself into knots over why shady should be guilty for stuff he didn’t do?

But “hero worship” was your excuse for why you don’t like Terry.  Maybe one day you’ll admit the real reason but it’s not like it really matters, does it?

No doubt many like you see him as a hero for "keeping the Bills in Buffalo (for as long as you are alive unless the free money for a new stadium isn't enough, right?)"

I just see him as another ultra wealthy NFL owner looking for a handout for his publicly stated goal of maintaining his family's lifestyle as the business plan (amidst layoffs) of PSE and who would obviously move the team if it suited him.  

What's to like about that?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Agree 1

if its in op, I really hope its nearly 100% funded by the pegulas

Downtown and in/near the ub north campus provides so much more use and opportunities for the area

Putting at ub makes a ton of sense to me. You want to spend 1.5 billion plus on a structure that is used 8-12 times a year? Put it on/near a school campus and see the structure get used a lot more especially if its roofed 

17 hours ago, chris heff said:

You do realize that people from Long Island pay taxes in New York State and the UB is a State college. And I hope that everyone else will recognize that  “ Lon G’ Islanders” is an anti Semitic slur. 

Of course they pay taxes when they cannot get away from it. One roommate of mine told me his college education was paid by falsifying paying of business taxes.  I asked if he knew that NYS paid bounties on turning in tax evaders.  He did not tell me more about it in future.

And no it is not anti Semitic but you can pretend otherwise.

I was corrected many times by down state people on "correct" pronunciation and most of them are not Jewish so it is hardly anti Semitic.

Down state people treated locals life trash when I was there and I see no reason for me to change my opinion because a defender.

But you want to be their cheerleader fine. 

On 9/24/2021 at 6:08 PM, Don Otreply said:

Until ground is broken, Ya never know, a new stadium might just end up some place else we had not considered, I’m certain that the Pegulas would be real pleased to see more events in their new stadium…., where ever it ends up.., 😁

Letchworth 😁😁

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Of course they pay taxes when they cannot get away from it. One roommate of mine told me his college education was paid by falsifying paying of business taxes.  I asked if he knew that NYS paid bounties on turning in tax evaders.  He did not tell me more about it in future.

And no it is not anti Semitic but you can pretend otherwise.

I was corrected many times by down state people on "correct" pronunciation and most of them are not Jewish so it is hardly anti Semitic.

Down state people treated locals life trash when I was there and I see no reason for me to change my opinion because a defender.

But you want to be their cheerleader fine. 

So some college kid says he knows about falsified tax returns you think everyone from Long Island cheets on their taxes? Quite the leap.

I have lived on Long Island, no one ever told me to pronounce it that way, nor did most Long Islanders pronounce it that way. You may recall that your original premise was that students at SUNY Buffalo from Long Island were attending UB because their “rich parents were too cheep to send them to private schools”. Rich and cheep is an anti-Semitic trope and it has been for centuries. That and your stereotyping pronunciation lead me to the ant-Semitic conclusion, I stand by that.  Who is the “them” that I cheerlead? Do you mean “those people”?

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No doubt many like you see him as a hero for "keeping the Bills in Buffalo (for as long as you are alive unless the free money for a new stadium isn't enough, right?)"

I just see him as another ultra wealthy NFL owner looking for a handout for his publicly stated goal of maintaining his family's lifestyle as the business plan (amidst layoffs) of PSE and who would obviously move the team if it suited him.  

What's to like about that?

Most Bills fans think he's a hero for keeping the Bills in Buffalo.  Most of us also knew that if/when a new stadium was needed, public money would have to be used, and would, because, well, it's Buffalo.  And all you need to do is see that since he bought them, 3 owners have decided to pull up stakes from their bigger and more profitable markets than Buffalo because they didn't get enough public money for new stadiums and/or because they just wanted to make even more obscene money, all paying less than half what the Pegulas did for the Bills.  Despite you telling me for the better part of 2 decades how there were no more markets left and that LA would never get another team again (and now they have 2). 

BTW, how much have you contributed to the ORs where you work?  Did you take a pay cut to prevent layoffs?  Did you leave a hospital/play one hospital off another to get what you wanted/make more money?  So spare me.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

Most Bills fans think he's a hero for keeping the Bills in Buffalo.  Most of us also knew that if/when a new stadium was needed, public money would have to be used, and would, because, well, it's Buffalo.  And all you need to do is see that since he bought them, 3 owners have decided to pull up stakes from their bigger and more profitable markets than Buffalo because they didn't get enough public money for new stadiums and/or because they just wanted to make even more obscene money, all paying less than half what the Pegulas did for the Bills.  Despite you telling me for the better part of 2 decades how there were no more markets left and that LA would never get another team again (and now they have 2). 

BTW, how much have you contributed to the ORs where you work?  Did you take a pay cut to prevent layoffs?  Did you leave a hospital/play one hospital off another to get what you wanted/make more money?  So spare me.

I don’t really have anything to add, but I’m quoting this just because I can. 

I have to say, some people hate anyone who has more money than they do. I just don’t get that hate. I don’t hate rich people, I’d like to be one some day.  :)

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc said:

1).  St Louis was not a more profitable market--Bills pocketed 10 million more than the the owner of the Rams in 2015--So Kroenke left....and then spent 5+ billion of his money on a new stadium that broke-ass STL wouldn't build.   LA has 2 NFL teams because Kroenke spent his own money to build a stadium, doc.  Pegula wouldn't have made that move, obviously.

2) no one here figured the LA would support another team (not least of which because LA would not build a stadium).  All you could come up with was San Antonio.

3) my work product results in contributing margin for the hospital that is well into the millions per year.  That helps pay for staff and a lot of supplies.  They would miss it immediately If I was gone.

4) I'm full time employed faculty, so I don't "play one hospital; of another".  I built a program and run it with the hospital in a solid partnership.

5) as a faculty member, I have taken a pay cut since the first COVID wave--it was mandatory beginning in June 2020, but we were given the option of voluntarily starting it in May, 2020 which I took.

6) Starting today, because of the NYS mandate and a general shortage of staff in hospitals, elective inpatient cases are on indefinite hold... and my employer doesn't pay me not to work.....

got any other questions?

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

1).  St Louis was not a more profitable market--Bills pocketed 10 million more than the the owner of the Rams in 2015--So Kroenke left....and then spent 5+ billion of his money on a new stadium that broke-ass STL wouldn't build.   LA has 2 NFL teams because Kroenke spent his own money to build a stadium, doc.  Pegula wouldn't have made that move, obviously.

2) no one here figured the LA would support another team (not least of which because LA would not build a stadium).  All you could come up with was San Antonio.

3) my work product results in contributing margin for the hospital that is well into the millions per year.  That helps pay for staff and a lot of supplies.  They would miss it immediately If I was gone.

4) I'm full time employed faculty, so I don't "play one hospital; of another".  I built a program and run it with the hospital in a solid partnership.

5) as a faculty member, I have taken a pay cut since the first COVID wave--it was mandatory beginning in June 2020, but we were given the option of voluntarily starting it in May, 2020 which I took.

6) Starting today, because of the NYS mandate and a general shortage of staff in hospitals, elective inpatient cases are on indefinite hold... and my employer doesn't pay me not to work.....

got any other questions?

Ah, I see. “No team will ever move to LA (because no owner will pay for his own stadium there).”  Meaning you expected public money to be involved.  Interesting. 

But hey, how about that Kroenke?  He spent his own money for a new stadium. What a great owner. Too bad it’s in another city/state (and he’s originally from Missouri)….

As for the rest, sure.  Yeah we all took paycuts last year. And the entertainment industry especially got rocked.  So that explains last year. It’s interesting that people hold others to higher standards than they have for themselves.

Edited by Doc

For those of us who live in LA, Kroenke isn’t an idiot or a philanthropist, the SoFi Stadium is WAY WAY more than a football stadium. It’s a huge development with office buildings etc all established to pay his stadium investment back in short order I’m sure. The Pegulas do NOT owe you a stadium.

Yeah, UB football attendance is bad enough for the student section, put the games in Orchard Park and the student section would be non existent.  UB does need a new football stadium, but it needs to go on campus and it needs to suit UB football, which means a nice 30K + stadium, with the student section right on top of the field and closed in atmosphere.  Ask Miami what happens when you pout the stadium 40 minutes away from campus, they had one of the best home field advantages at the orange bowl, since that has been knocked down their program and the support of their program has suffered, I don't think it is a coincidence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

For those of us who live in LA, Kroenke isn’t an idiot or a philanthropist, the SoFi Stadium is WAY WAY more than a football stadium. It’s a huge development with office buildings etc all established to pay his stadium investment back in short order I’m sure. The Pegulas do NOT owe you a stadium.

Or a team, either. Kroenke is from Missouri so he (like Kim with Buffalo) has ties to the STL area. He’s far more wealthy than the Pegulas and could have built a new stadium there with his own money and still made bank considering he bought the team for about $600M. He wanted to make tons more money, so he left.  

And yeah the stadium will easily pay for itself in years. Because of where it’s located. In OP…not so much.   

41 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Yeah, UB football attendance is bad enough for the student section, put the games in Orchard Park and the student section would be non existent.  UB does need a new football stadium, but it needs to go on campus and it needs to suit UB football, which means a nice 30K + stadium, with the student section right on top of the field and closed in atmosphere.  Ask Miami what happens when you pout the stadium 40 minutes away from campus, they had one of the best home field advantages at the orange bowl, since that has been knocked down their program and the support of their program has suffered, I don't think it is a coincidence.

Who knows, maybe students would be more willing to go to a nice(r) stadium?  Why not try it out for a year and if it doesn’t work, go back to the old way.

Edited by Doc

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Kroenke is from Missouri so he (like Kim with Buffalo) has ties to the STL area. He’s far more wealthy than the Pegulas and could have built a new stadium there with his own money and still made bank considering he bought the team for about $600M. He wanted to make tons more money, so he left.  

And yeah the stadium will easily pay for itself in years. Because of where it’s located. In OP…not so much.   

Who knows, maybe students would be more willing to go to a nice(r) stadium?  Why not try it out for a year and if it doesn’t work, go back to the old way.

Students are nice but having lots of fans in the stands is better. When UB played Bowling Green at RWS on a Thanksgiving Friday they drew 26K, the second largest home crowd the Bulls ever had. (Playing Syracuse at UB Stadium in 2009 drew 29K.)

You'd think local fans would like going to UB Stadium. Parking is free. The school, pre-pandemic, put on big tailgate concerts. Tickets are under $30, and just $10 if you buy during their preseason flash sale. And they have been decent the last few years.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Ah, I see. “No team will ever move to LA (because no owner will pay for his own stadium there).”  Meaning you expected public money to be involved.  Interesting. 

But hey, how about that Kroenke?  He spent his own money for a new stadium. What a great owner. Too bad it’s in another city/state (and he’s originally from Missouri)….

As for the rest, sure.  Yeah we all took paycuts last year. And the entertainment industry especially got rocked.  So that explains last year. It’s interesting that people hold others to higher standards than they have for themselves.

That's not an answer to the questions that you asked me...

lol....the entertainment industry, great point--their hit deeply affected the Pegula Family Lifestyle Industry, as we all were made aware.  Your pay cut was simply fewer cases billed for (briefly).  No entity benefitted from your "pay cut".  

It's a historical fact  that public money will usually be involved in building a stadium.  I've always been against it in principle and as a horrible investment.  Like Kroenke (who actually put his  money up), Pegula could easily afford to finance his stadium.   So I think he should pay all (in principle) or the vast majority of it (in reality).  His opening offer was zero point zero.

Pretty simple.

Maybe he can build a stadium in that massive San Diego market!  Ask Spanos----that's where the real money is!

Kroenke returned the Rams to the City/state from which St Louis took them from---and where they played for 48 seasons.  Did you also cry when St Louis (who "stole" them from Chicago) lost the Cardinals to AZ (due to a crappy stadium and crappy fans)?  So it's easy to conclude that by bringing the team back to LA, spending his own money to build a massive entertainment complex, Rams fans consider Kroenke a fantastic owner.  If Pegula did the same in Buffalo, I would consider him a great owner as well.