Pegulas invite UB football to new stadium. UB prefers to stay on campus.

PromoTheRobot

15 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

The problem we face with a downtown stadium is infrastructure. There just is not enough entry/exit points and the ones that are; Route 5, 190, 33 etc just cannot handle the volume of traffic once you hit Buffalo cholk points. Ever leave after a packed Sabres game or event at the Arena? The area would have to invest at minimum 2-3 billion just in infrastructure to make it work. 

UB is not viable either! Maple, Audobon, Millersport, and the 990 aint gonna cut it either. Leaving UB fireworks with maybe 10k people is comical.

How many transportation options do we have to/from Orchard Park?

How many major thoroughfares intersect in Orchard Park?

How many different options do people have to and from a downtown stadium? 

Foot
Car

Bus

Metro

Boat

The options are endless - side streets:

image.thumb.gif.9900f5b1ea134e4d517fd9f82ca8137b.gif

Now do Orchard Park.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I imagine the Bills dont want to have their practice field and facilities miles away from their stadium.  For logistical reasons keeping it in OP actually makes a lot of sense.

Why do you think the 49ers moved to Santa Clara? That's where the teams practice facilities and offices were. The players used to drive to Santa Clara, and there would be a bus convoy up the 101 to Candlestick. Passed it many times on a Sunday evening. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Why do you think the 49ers moved to Santa Clara? That's where the teams practice facilities and offices were. The players used to drive to Santa Clara, and there would be a bus convoy up the 101 to Candlestick. Passed it many times on a Sunday evening. 

I doubt that was the main reason. Probably access to land was the big one.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I doubt that was the main reason. Probably access to land was the big one.

In 1996, the City of San Francisco had a vote for the residents to allow the city to build a new mall and football stadium at the Candlestick Site. It passed. Some council members fought the vote the residents approved. The 49ers got sick of waiting, and built their facilities in Santa Clara. Then they just went ahead and built Levi's Stadium at the same site. Got tired of the infighting and waiting. Kinda like the same thing going on with the A's in Oakland. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I go to UB football and basketball games all the time. 5K for Basketball, 15-20K for football. Never an issue leaving.

15-20k huge difference from 60k plus fans and another 20k tailgating. C’mon PTR you can do better than that 😂

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

How many transportation options do we have to/from Orchard Park?

How many major thoroughfares intersect in Orchard Park?

How many different options do people have to and from a downtown stadium? 

Foot
Car

Bus

Metro

Boat

The options are endless - side streets:

image.thumb.gif.9900f5b1ea134e4d517fd9f82ca8137b.gif

Now do Orchard Park.

Yeah, a boat in November and December when Marinas are closed lol

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I don't get how the infrastructure in OP is any better. It's like a stadium dropped in the back of a neighborhood that happens to have some roads converge into a parking lot nearby. The city has to have more entry & exit points than that.

Well, with at least 250 home games under my belt and more with Sabres games, I can with certainty say it is much much different. 

I really shouldn’t have to explain the differences if you have been to the stadium and arena when at full capacity. Now, add 40-60k downtown and perhaps you can formulate a viable conclusion.

21 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

15-20k huge difference from 60k plus fans and another 20k tailgating. C’mon PTR you can do better than that 😂

If you were paying attention to the post I was replying to, that person acted like 10K for a fireworks display brought the world to a standstill. My point is 20K is no big deal. I wonder if people's expectation of what traffic is isn't a little skewed in WNY. Waiting 10-15 minutes leaving a sporting events qualifies as intolerable. 

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Big mistake on their part. But that’s their business. 

Just to be clear, who's making the mistake? 

37 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Get me a boat to OP - quick! 

PS: freakin hilarious when Buffalo complains about traffic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Get me a boat to OP - quick! 

PS: freakin hilarious when Buffalo complains about traffic.

This guy living in Atlanta gets a nice chuckle out of it!  😂

One of my favorite things about Buffalo is the LACK of traffic (along with the Bills, summer/fall weather, food and people). Even on a game day, it seems to me there isn’t a big problem with traffic on the roads. Getting in and out of the lots? Well, that’s a TOTALLY different story. 

I don’t care because I just wanted the Bills to remain in WNY, but my experience with “city stadiums” has been pretty good in terms of traffic in and out. More options to just turn and get some distance between you and the stadium. Yeah, I’m sure it would have significant expenses associated, but it CAN work and work well. Again, I’m happy wherever they put it. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The stadium will be in Orchard Park as long as the Bills are footing most of the tab. He who pays the most gets to choose the location.

If a downtown stadium is desired, the state would have to pickup the 1 billion tab for infrastructure improvements, a highly unlikely scenario.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

UB.  

I agree. But they really want their students involved. Personally I want the most fans at games. In WNY football is played in Highmark Stadium. If UB was there, especially on weekends when the Bills were on the road, people would come out just for an excuse to tailgate. And it's been pretty good ball the last few years.

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There are several factors that go into UB attendance. Quality of opponent and time of game are big. (Remember the MAC plays a couple Tuesday/Wednesday games that draw crowds in the dozens!) But a typical Saturday game gets between 15-20K. Basketball averages around 4-5K.

The article also describes a plan to improve the current UB Stadium by removing the running track, digging down 10 feet and adding closer seating. But it's still a terrible stadium.

But if NYS is going to spend money on that AND a new Bills stadium, why not at least look at building one shared facility? Why not tear down the current UB Stadium and build a new one on the same spot? UB could play at Highmark for a few years during construction.

UB didn't even get brought up as a contender to move up to the AAC, which is kind of a slap in the face considering it's the flagship public athletic program in New York State. A new stadium might make them more attractive.

Something Tells me that's not going to happen , seeing as the UB track and field team participate there still I believe 

I don't think they're going to uproot their home turf

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Something Tells me that's not going to happen , seeing as the UB track and field team participate there still I believe 

I don't think they're going to uproot their home turf

AD Mark Alnutt says a new track/soccer stadium is part of the plan. Probably enhancing Kuntz Field.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, boater said:

The stadium will be in Orchard Park as long as the Bills are footing most of the tab. He who pays the most gets to choose the location.

If a downtown stadium is desired, the state would have to pickup the 1 billion tab for infrastructure improvements, a highly unlikely scenario.

And it would be a wise investment for the state to make.

Areas like WNY only get one transformational opportunity a lifetime to capitalize on a billion plus dollar opportunity.

The state should invest in Buffalo and make the city the regional hub of WNY. Make it easier for people who live, work and visit the city an easier place to be.

A downtown stadium enables the region to make the necessary transportation improvements and enhancements that will benefit the ENTIRE region; not just OP. We will never get a subway to Orchard Park - but we just might be able to make the case for a subway to UB, the airport, Niagara Falls etc.

Make it easier for our largest growing economic powerhouse in the region (Southern Ontario) to get to Buffalo and secure the long term viability of the franchise and the region.

I know for most on this site it comes down to securing the long time tradition of tailgating. I get it - I love it too - but you will adapt with a city experience just like the folks do in Nashville, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Chicago, Baltimore and so on.

I went to a game in Seattle where the stadium is tucked into a neighborhood filled offices, hotels, condos, restaurants and bars and the whole area was jumping.

Do it right 

• Like (+1) 3