Pegulas invite UB football to new stadium. UB prefers to stay on campus.

PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm not against the idea, but I can't visualize it. Where would it go? The parking logistics alone, would be a deal breaker.

If UB wanted it then they could put it in Letchworth Woods or fill in Lake LaSalle. 

Both of those areas are smaller than Bills entire stadium area including current parking area and buildings.

The key is stadium area with ticket sales and place for people to wait in line and for game equipment.

Parking lots do not necessarily need to all by stadium with parking shuttles possible from further locations like an airport.

UB-Map.jpg

I do not think it is going to happen however unless Bills are told they need to move  as condition of funding.

The state would also need to greatly enhance the road structure.  I-290 will not be enough.

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Logistically, they have their training facilities, they have the space, they have the infrastructure in OP so its the most cost effective.  Its not getting moved up to Amherst for UB.  USF has a bigger program here in Tampa and play at Ray Jay and they don't even fill half the stadium with giving away tickets to students.  UB wont factor into the equation, but I can see Pegula PSE offering to allow them to play as its a minor revenue stream for the Pegulas.  Nothing nearly motivating enough to move to a smaller geographical location with more issues.

I understand why UB wants to stay up there.

UB could and should play at least one game in the a Bills stadium each year. Thanksgiving Friday would be a nice tradition. Last time they did they they got their second largest crowd ever, 26K.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

The problem we face with a downtown stadium is infrastructure. There just is not enough entry/exit points and the ones that are; Route 5, 190, 33 etc just cannot handle the volume of traffic once you hit Buffalo cholk points. Ever leave after a packed Sabres game or event at the Arena? The area would have to invest at minimum 2-3 billion just in infrastructure to make it work. 

UB is not viable either! Maple, Audobon, Millersport, and the 990 aint gonna cut it either. Leaving UB fireworks with maybe 10k people is comical.

I don't get how the infrastructure in OP is any better. It's like a stadium dropped in the back of a neighborhood that happens to have some roads converge into a parking lot nearby. The city has to have more entry & exit points than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

Where is Dunkirk Don when ya need him?!

Hiding under a rock waiting for just the right moment to arrive on the seen…, 😁👍

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have no real opinion on the new stadium aside from the fact that I adamantly oppose putting it in OP again.

That's a huge mistake, which is why I expect it to happen given the history of WNY politics.

Orchard Park is perfect.  An open air stadium is the huge mistake.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Orchard Park is perfect.  An open air stadium is the huge mistake.

First, to PTR, that’s a great idea of having the UB thanksgiving game weekend at Highmark and could be promoted each year like the field of dreams baseball game they just started or the open air hockey game in a football stadium.  I know the greatest cocktail party game between Georgia and UF is a major event in Jax as they show five days ahead in their RV’s.  The kids at school have off anyway so why not.  I think even Bills fans who don’t follow NCAA as much would go if made to be an event.  So props PTR.  Go get Kim on the horn and make it so.

As far as OP, to me it is the infrastructure, but also all the off site lots, and there are multiple entry and exit points.  The cost downtown would be astronomical and the state is not going to throw that much money into widening roads and they really don’t even have the space to do it, not to mention buying the land, and if in the first ward demolition buildings, etc.  

Doc, I think they mentioned a canopy so in essence the upper and part of the lower decks would be covered from snow, rain, and most importantly wind.  By installing those huge heating lamps would also create a much more mild environment.  It also on the field will still look like an open stadium which a lot of people like so without the heavy winds at times, the field would still see a little snow.  I love it, and given in another thread people are not happy about PSL’s, they would only be worse in other places mentioned.

Another reason why the OP plan is crazy. Why on earth would UB move football 16/17 miles south of campus with no major transport links and nothing else in the area?

Sharing a new stadium in Amherst was by far the best proposal if they weren't going Downtown. Close to the UB Campus, metrorail extension, highways, closer to the population center.

Talk about lipstick on a pig.

Edited by red hots
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I didn’t read the article, as I don’t subscribe. I thought the article was just about Pegula offering UB an opportunity to play at the new Bills stadium, and didn’t realize there was mention of building on North Campus. There’s no way that seems viable. Too many logistics and accommodations would need to be worked out between PSE and the university. Large on campus stadiums are common, but they’re used by the university, making huge football profits

UB would sell 5K tickets, while playing to an empty stadium. Why wouldn’t SUNY/UB demand rent money from the NFL/Bills ? You put something on my land, have hoards of mongols descend upon it on Sunday who leave mass quantities of garbage, I’m not sure how that sounds like a win for the college campus. Maybe I’m ill informed since I didn’t read the article, if so, please let me know what I’m missing. I don’t get the North Campus thing at all right now. 

Would be great.  Certainly would vault the UB program a couple notches and would make the Big 10 realistic.

Downtown is not really feasible.  The studies have shown that which is why there is zero momentum or chatter pointing downtown.  

Anyone who has been to a sold out Sabres game or concert that people didn't leave early can attest.  Especially as you park closer to the arena, compounded if you park in a ramp.  The streets are too narrow, lots of one-way, some dead ends, and virtually no egress to the south, and limited to the west.  You have to crawl your way through a grid of gridlocked streets to reach the 190.  Triple the crowd, even double... ugh.   

I don't know the exact layout over there at ub/Amherst, but it sounds like there could be some options and some space.  You have the 990, 290, and even millersport and Sheridan to move people.  You're starting from scratch though for land acquisition, parking space, and all that.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Does UB want to be a Big 10 school?  

if the bills put the stadium in Amherst area UB probablypkaysthete. 

that increases their profile.

Also makes the obligatory camera shot of Niagara Falls closer for the NFL broadcasts.  Too many years late to hear Keith Jackson intone "NYE-AG-GA-RA FALLS!"

Why does this have to be so difficult? There simply isn’t the kind of money available for a small market team like Buffalo to construct a brand new facility on a brand new site so:

Keep the stadium in OP

Retain and enhance the tailgating tradition unique to Bills game day experience 

Reduce costs by not having to rebuild and relocate infrastructure, offices, practice facilities, training center

Build it with covered seating to keep the fans dry but save the huge cost of a true roof, and the really huge costs of a retractable roof

Orient the new stadium correctly to reduce the wind tunnel effect off the lake

Utilize a public/private partnership to spread the cost out over as many people and as many years as possible so as to reduce the cost impact on tickets 

Done! 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I didn’t read the article, as I don’t subscribe. I thought the article was just about Pegula offering UB an opportunity to play at the new Bills stadium, and didn’t realize there was mention of building on North Campus. There’s no way that seems viable. Too many logistics and accommodations would need to be worked out between PSE and the university. Large on campus stadiums are common, but they’re used by the university, making huge football profits

UB would sell 5K tickets, while playing to an empty stadium. Why wouldn’t SUNY/UB demand rent money from the NFL/Bills ? You put something on my land, have hoards of mongols descend upon it on Sunday who leave mass quantities of garbage, I’m not sure how that sounds like a win for the college campus. Maybe I’m ill informed since I didn’t read the article, if so, please let me know what I’m missing. I don’t get the North Campus thing at all right now. 

There are several factors that go into UB attendance. Quality of opponent and time of game are big. (Remember the MAC plays a couple Tuesday/Wednesday games that draw crowds in the dozens!) But a typical Saturday game gets between 15-20K. Basketball averages around 4-5K.

The article also describes a plan to improve the current UB Stadium by removing the running track, digging down 10 feet and adding closer seating. But it's still a terrible stadium.

But if NYS is going to spend money on that AND a new Bills stadium, why not at least look at building one shared facility? Why not tear down the current UB Stadium and build a new one on the same spot? UB could play at Highmark for a few years during construction.

UB didn't even get brought up as a contender to move up to the AAC, which is kind of a slap in the face considering it's the flagship public athletic program in New York State. A new stadium might make them more attractive.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have no real opinion on the new stadium aside from the fact that I adamantly oppose putting it in OP again.

That's a huge mistake, which is why I expect it to happen given the history of WNY politics.

I imagine the Bills dont want to have their practice field and facilities miles away from their stadium.  For logistical reasons keeping it in OP actually makes a lot of sense.

28 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why does this have to be so difficult? There simply isn’t the kind of money available for a small market team like Buffalo to construct a brand new facility on a brand new site so:

Keep the stadium in OP

Retain and enhance the tailgating tradition unique to Bills game day experience 

Reduce costs by not having to rebuild and relocate infrastructure, offices, practice facilities, training center

Build it with covered seating to keep the fans dry but save the huge cost of a true roof, and the really huge costs of a retractable roof

Orient the new stadium correctly to reduce the wind tunnel effect off the lake

Utilize a public/private partnership to spread the cost out over as many people and as many years as possible so as to reduce the cost impact on tickets 

Done! 

Not to nitpick but the bolded was never going to happen even if the stadium was built elsewhere in WNY. 

Edited by BTB