Pegulas invite UB football to new stadium. UB prefers to stay on campus.

PromoTheRobot

https://theathletic.com/2847449/2021/09/24/pegulas-invite-university-at-buffalo-to-play-in-bills-new-stadium-but-bulls-prefer-to-stay-on-campus/?source=user_shared_article

AMHERST, N.Y. — Pegula Sports and Entertainment has invited the University at Buffalo to join the new football stadium project.

But as long as Orchard Park remains the target location for the Buffalo Bills’ next stadium, UB’s athletic department prefers to invest in its current venue rather than venture across town to play.

UB’s focus would change in a heartbeat, however, if the state would reconsider the option to build the new Bills stadium on the Amherst campus.

“We would love to have UB football be a part of this,” PSE executive vice president Ron Raccuia said.

The Las Vegas Raiders last year opened a stadium that UNLV also calls home.

UB athletics director Mark Alnutt is listening to what PSE has to say. UB Stadium is universally unloved for its poor sightlines, rinky-dink scoreboard, open-to-the-elements seating and lack of amenities, but playing games on campus is integral to the football program’s vision.

“Being able to have student engagement on campus is critical for us,” Alnutt said. “When alumni come back to campus, when our students want to attend the games, we want our community to have that connection. That’s very important.”

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

• PromoTheRobot changed the title to Pegulas invite UB football to new stadium. UB prefers to stay on campus.

I may be in the minority here, but my annual trip(s) to Buffalo for a game or three would absolutely be extended to include a UB game. Imagine being able to tailgate and attend a CFB and NFL game two days in a row at the same spot? Sign me up. Double that for the camper lot. Well worth hauling my camper down from Maine for.

Edited by Conlan58
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I have no real opinion on the new stadium aside from the fact that I adamantly oppose putting it in OP again.

That's a huge mistake, which is why I expect it to happen given the history of WNY politics.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

It makes sense for the Bills to offer, and for UB to want to keep it on campus. Oh, well…no harm in asking. 

As long as the Bills remain in WNY, I’m happy. That’s all I ever REALLY cared about. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Until ground is broken, Ya never know, a new stadium might just end up some place else we had not considered, I’m certain that the Pegulas would be real pleased to see more events in their new stadium…., where ever it ends up.., 😁

Edited by Don Otreply

UB alumni here although football was not as big when I was there as it is now.

Only interaction I had was in Wilkeson Quadrangle pub where they were usually drunk .

With change in drinking age the pub is likely gone; I see there is a coffeehouse in Wilkeson Quadrangle now.

I cannot see how stadium at Amherst campus would help the Bills.

They have a beautiful training facility in Orchard Park. 

Are they going to going to give it up or will each game be an "away" game for them requiring transportation of players, staff and equipment there each game?

It also does not help maintain fanbase just as moving stadium downtown does not help.

There is probably more parking space than downtown but this would likely be under control of UB but Bills could negotiate where they get undeserved revenue (undeserved since most of cost is not being borne by them). Fans would again be stuck with no alternates to parking and many choose to park other than Bills' lot either for cost, difference in rules including hours open and what they can do.

It helps a little on weather since Amherst campus gets less lake effect snow but as former student there it still does get a lot of snow some years.

Maybe the shared facility would also get more contributions toward a roof which some are so much advocates of which is only advantage I can see.

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I have no real opinion on the new stadium aside from the fact that I adamantly oppose putting it in OP again.

That's a huge mistake, which is why I expect it to happen given the history of WNY politics.

The problem we face with a downtown stadium is infrastructure. There just is not enough entry/exit points and the ones that are; Route 5, 190, 33 etc just cannot handle the volume of traffic once you hit Buffalo cholk points. Ever leave after a packed Sabres game or event at the Arena? The area would have to invest at minimum 2-3 billion just in infrastructure to make it work. 

UB is not viable either! Maple, Audobon, Millersport, and the 990 aint gonna cut it either. Leaving UB fireworks with maybe 10k people is comical.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

It's worked for the last 40 years or so.... continues to be praised as one of the best fan atmospheres and tailgating experiences. Why wouldn't they want to keep that?

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I used to work on the Amherst Campus, and actually attended the inaugural game @ Bulls Stadium.

I don't think there is enough room on that Campus, for an NFL Stadium.

We can make room

Logistically, they have their training facilities, they have the space, they have the infrastructure in OP so its the most cost effective.  Its not getting moved up to Amherst for UB.  USF has a bigger program here in Tampa and play at Ray Jay and they don't even fill half the stadium with giving away tickets to students.  UB wont factor into the equation, but I can see Pegula PSE offering to allow them to play as its a minor revenue stream for the Pegulas.  Nothing nearly motivating enough to move to a smaller geographical location with more issues.

I understand why UB wants to stay up there.

43 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Is there a place in or near downtown that would include the present tailgating experience?

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Until ground is broken, Ya never know, a new stadium might just end up some place else we had not considered, I’m certain that the Pegulas would be real pleased to see more events in their new stadium…., where ever it ends up.., 😁

Where is Dunkirk Don when ya need him?!

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

The problem we face with a downtown stadium is infrastructure. There just is not enough entry/exit points and the ones that are; Route 5, 190, 33 etc just cannot handle the volume of traffic once you hit Buffalo cholk points. Ever leave after a packed Sabres game or event at the Arena? The area would have to invest at minimum 2-3 billion just in infrastructure to make it work. 

UB is not viable either! Maple, Audobon, Millersport, and the 990 aint gonna cut it either. Leaving UB fireworks with maybe 10k people is comical.

People around here always try to make the “there’s already a huge traffic problem with Bills games, downtown would be no different” argument. They are sorely mistaken…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I go to UB football and basketball games all the time. 5K for Basketball, 15-20K for football. Never an issue leaving.