New stadium will have PSLs for season ticket holders

Albany,n.y.

Time marches on. Rich Stadium was built for 20 million ,, 1973. the NFL  is more than just a football league , its a lifestyle for a great amount of the populace. . i am from a past generation that watched the AFL, the NFL , in not that context.  I love Buffalo, and want the Bills to stay obviously , so its "bend over" .. .. people can complain about "rich owners" .. "taxpayers" all that.. bottom line , it wont affect most " everyday life" if they get it done .. which i hope they do.. 

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

I read recently a couple of articles who both studied PSL's. Their conclusion was that In almost every cases it's a very bad investment for the buyer.

By that token, buying a ticket is a bad investment when you can see the product on TV for free. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Curt said:

I read recently a couple of articles who both studied PSL's. Their conclusion was that In almost every cases it's a very bad investment for the buyer.

If anyone is thinking of a PSL as a true investment, then Ive got some homemade bitcoins to sell them. Half off current market value even.

1j3zbvr9rgi11.png

Best case scenario with a PSL is you get your money back if/when you find someone to buy your tickets instead of turning them back in.

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Curt said:

I would never consider it to be an investment. I would consider it part of the cost of entertainment. People are willing to pay for entertainment. I can find better investment options. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, wjag said:

For sure.  There is an entire market place set up to resell.  The waiting list in Baltimore for seasons is 3,000 long.  So if you want to jump the waiting list, you go to the marketplace to buy someone's seasons and their PSL.  The PSLs are all sold out in Baltimore.  No shortage of folks wanting the tix.

If you're the type of person who's getting seasons regardless, then that's great news.

It's discouraging to the lower middle class guy that struggles keeping them year to year, as his one justified form of entertainment. I feel like that's a little less than half of our fan base. 35-40%ish if I was to make a guess

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It looks like there are 3rd party PSL resale sites out there.

FWIW.

http://www.seatdibs.com/

Wish GB was on there to compare. Might not be on the site with something to do with the community owning the team? Maybe there's no PSL fee, it's just a right to purchase seasons minus the fee, that everyone is on the waiting list for 🤔

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I mean the word investment there is pretty vague, and depends on perspective.

Investment as in, growing money. No, absolutely terrible lol ever hear of anyone adding PSLs to their 401k? 😆

Investment as in ability to go to games. Yes I think it's that. People looking at this like it's just another expense are being short sided. A fee is when you pay and get ZILCH in return.  If venture to say 95% of the time you are going to atleast break even on a PSL, or make a few bucks on it.

To the "it's just a fee crowd", ok then pay it and I'll keep the title to the PSL... oh wait, you want it? Oh it has value you can extract capital back from? Yes? Than acting like it's a fee is stupid. It's inconvenient, and annoying.

I'm willing to be inconvenienced and annoyed to build a stadium, because that's the only way we're keeping the team.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

What a business. I would love to see the skid marks in front of me if I told my clients, "Yes, I want your business, but you first need to pay me in order for me to take your business."

You mean the NFL and other major sports teams are not like other businesses?  Thanks, this is a helpful exercise. 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

But PSL are not an “investment” so . . .”

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don’t care how many teams do it.  This is the definition of greed 

Sure is. They can 100% afford to NOT do this and not even feel the financial hit; instead, they are going to price MANY fans out. It's unethical, selfish, greedy behavior. Just because it's lawful and common doesn't make it right.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Agree 1

I live in Southern NJ, about 6.5-7 hours from the stadium and have had season tickets for 20 years.  I tend to go to 2-4 hone games and sell the others usually on Stubhub.

Stubhub used to charge about 20% (10% taken from the seller, and a 10% markup to the buyer) 10 or so wears ago. Not exactly cheap, but you could manage to make a little profit on the seats you sold.  Now, stub hub is charging 40-48% (15% taken from seller and a 25-33% markup to the buyer). This has evaporated any ability to cover the cost, as all the profit gets vacuumed up by StubHub.

I was already on the fence about keeping my seasons and I'm pretty certain PSL's will be what does me in. Won't be able to justify forking that type of dough over when I know I have no ability to recoup the money for the games I don't go to.

6 hours ago, Curt said:

Yep of course it is. Anyone that thinks of it as investment probably has a couple time shares in Mexico. It is however a reality of the modern NFL and if you want to play you’ll have to pay. There will be enough people willing to pay. There’s a reason why this stadium will be 60-62k not 70-72k…They know how many people will buy em and how much they are willing to pay. 

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Is anyone surprised by this?

At least it's only a one-time charge and transferable.

Totally expected it.  The issue arises when the team has an extended rough patch.  Then the buyers for PSLs dry up and fans who move away or no longer want to buy season tickets have to eat the cost of the PSL.  Then it reverts back to the owners who can sell it again when the team gets better and the market picks up.

PSLs not only pass along some of the cost of the stadium to fans - which is fair - but they also are a nice revenue stream for owners.  They very much encourage season ticket holder to keep buying when the team falters and they are a nice boost when a team emerges from a long term slump. 

I live near Seattle and the Seahawks sold licenses when they built their stadium 20 years ago (they are called CSL's - Charter seat license down here) only on the best seats in the house but they were really and I mean really expensive though. Pretty much only lower bowl between the 2 x 10 yard line. Other than that it was license free even in the end zone. I bought seasons in the upper bowl right in front of the 50 yard line (So I can still watch live football once in a while without having to make a long trip to see my beloved Bills and I paid nothing, only my annual season ticket holder invoice. 

Edited by Curt