Get ready for Monday Night Football, playoff style

Draconator

https://www.nfl.com/news/super-wild-card-weekend-to-include-monday-night-game

Beginning this postseason, one of the six playoff games on Super Wild Card Weekend will take place on a weekday.

The NFL announced Friday that, beginning with the 2021 season, Super Wild Card Weekend will conclude with a game on Monday night.

Super Wild Card Weekend is scheduled from Jan. 15-17, 2022.

The NFL expanded the playoffs last season for the first time since 1990, adding a third wild card team in each conference. The expansion was the genesis for Super Wild Card Weekend, featuring playoff tripleheaders on Saturday and Sunday. Beginning this postseason, Super Wild Card Weekend will feature a pair of games on Saturday (4:35 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. ET), three on Sunday (1:05 p.m., 4:40 p.m., and 8:15 p.m. ET), and the finale on Monday (8:15 p.m. ET).

• Angry 1
  • Dislike 3

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

That puts a team at a major disadvantage the following week. Horrible idea that I want the Bills to be no part of…unless they play that team the following week…

Devil’s advocate:

What’s the difference between playing

Monday and then the following Sunday 

VS

Sunday and then the Followimg Saturday?

The  Monday schedule allows you a day of rest before the first playoff game AND you know who your next opponent will be before you play.

Something to be said for that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Thanks, I hate it.

Agree. Post-season games can go a little longer and sucks for myself and others that have to wake at 5 a.m. Unless it starts earlier than regular MNF. Don't know if it will since I didn't read the article yet.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Devil’s advocate:

What’s the difference between playing

Monday and then the following Sunday 

VS

Sunday and then the Followimg Saturday?

The  Monday schedule allows you a day of rest before the first playoff game AND you know who your next opponent will be before you play.

Something to be said for that.

Unless both teams play on Monday night, and then the following Sunday, the team having only 6 days off will be at a disadvantage.

If both teams play on Sunday, then the following Saturday, both teams only have 6 days in between, hence no team has the advantage.