"Buy stock in A.J. Epenesa" - says Daniel Jeremiah

Estro

11 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Overall, I thought the defense played well. I was hoping we would get to the QB a bit more than we did, more like previous weeks. I'm not a stat hound looking only for sacks, and Heinecke was forced to move around a lot, which is good. That said, McDermott seems to agree...

Well we had some missed sack attempts too, something they need to fix as well 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well we had some missed sack attempts too, something they need to fix as well 

Heinicke is just a tough guy to sack, very good at feeling pressure and escaping away from it. He's only been sacked twice in 3 games in 2021 so far, against LAC, NYG and BUF. The WFT OL is very solid and not the set of turnstiles that we played against in MIA. This, coupled with his escape ability and his tendency to throw pretty quickly, always meant this was going to be a tough assignment for our DL. Never thought this was going to be a high sack game for our defense.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

McDermott knows in order to win the super bowl, you’re gonna need more pressure than that...

DL mostly got stonewalled in this one, it was surprising. Heinicke is a nice little scrambler but it was mostly to buy EVEN MORE time on plays where he had plenty. You didn't really see guys winning matchups and getting to him quickly. Still optimistic, just didn't really show up this week

On 9/27/2021 at 11:12 AM, K-9 said:

The rest of your completely irrelevant and typical bloviation aside, the only people underselling any aspect of D line play are those whose only measurement of effective D line play is the number of sacks they get in a game. As if forcing a QB off his mark, into hurries, incompletions or interceptions just doesn't matter somehow without them. Such a laughable misunderstanding of the game. 

Well apparently McDermott says they should have done better too.

I know you were a secretary at OBD 40 years ago and you picked up Ben Williams dry cleaning a couple times............but when the normally evasive Bills HC makes a point to criticize DL play then you can bet that he expects more from a DL full of highly paid and highly drafted players.    

They aren't a bunch of overachievers..........they basically spent almost ALL of their improvement chips on the DL this offseason.........it's fair to expect consistent pressure at home with a raucous crowd behind them.

Now bring me a coffee and hold my calls.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… wasn’t all that impressed by the pass rush on Sunday…. I thought Heinicke had time to throw throughout the day and basically scrambled himself into pressure. 

So your saying the D had nothing to do with his noticeable lack of success? All game long, I’ll give you the “one play” 👍

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… wasn’t all that impressed by the pass rush on Sunday…. I thought Heinicke had time to throw throughout the day and basically scrambled himself into pressure. 

Yeah.........at home........incredibly loud crowd behind them..........facing a journeyman on his 6th(?) team making his first career road start..........you gotta' be able to get to that guy.

It doesn't get much easier opposing-QB-wise than a 3 game stretch facing Has Ben, Brissett and Heinicke...........and yet the only consistent pass rush they've got was a game that the DC threw an absolute barrage of blitzes out there.