"Buy stock in A.J. Epenesa" - says Daniel Jeremiah

Estro

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Credit AJE for committing to it but credit to the Bills for taking a guy in round 2 - their first pick in that draft - and then saying "we love your talent but are gonna strip you back to very foundations of your game and your body and rebuild you in your rookie year." 

I mean I would have said that sounds like a hugely risky strategy. But the early results it looks like it is paying off. 

Up Next Boogie basham

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Poor Fantex.  Shareholders' banquet that year was extra value meals from McDonalds. 🙁

13 hours ago, K-9 said:

At the same time he was reshaping his body, Epenesa seems to have learned an array of moves and counter moves as well. His handwork is bordering on elite. 

His handwork was pretty good coming out. The concern was the bend and burst. Technically I always likes his game.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold, Bruce Smith might be the greatest example of a player that did just that. 

Bruce credited Rusty Jones for making him what he become.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/7-questions-with-bills-legend-bruce-smith

5. [Does that mean] you had a strict diet…?

Well, I wouldn't say a strict diet. I would say, it was a lifestyle and one in which worked for me, one in which I took the advice and…We had a nutritional expert in Rusty Jones, who was very influential in steering us in the right direction of foods to eat that would give us the energy that we needed to go out and play in a game at a high level. Also, during the course of the week, he would give us a guideline of how to stay hydrated and just certain things to do and stay away from. That kept us from cramping up…when we would have to go down to play in Miami. So, Rusty Jones was worth his weight in gold.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/08/23/man-can-finally-keep-colts-healthy/1068085002/

He held ambitious designs on reviving this stagnant Colts’ franchise, and he wanted the man who got Bruce Smith to buy in 30 years ago, the man who got Brian Urlacher to buy in 15 years ago, to get his guys to buy in now.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2007-02-04-0702030148-story.html

Former Bills coach Marv Levy recalled that Jones was "way ahead" on nutrition when he helped turn defensive end Bruce Smith from a 315-pound prospect with "no idea of a proper diet" into a 265-pound all-time great pass rusher.

"The funny joke with me is I don't say 'Hi,' I say, 'Get your carbs,'" Jones said.

I wish my doctor would say  'Get your carbs'.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1991/09/02/lean-mean-sack-machine-a-dedicated-bruce-smith-establishes-a-blistering-pace-for-the-buffalo-bills-in-their-drive-to-another-super-bowl

Smith's particular engine of torture is a stair-climbing machine, the same gadget the ladies use down at the health club, the one with the cherry-red lights to display hills and valleys, and with little beeps to signal the end of the ride. Wherever he goes, Smith finds one of these machines and rides it like a cowboy on a steer. He punches in the numbers given him by Bills strength coach Rusty Jones, overriding the normal computerized program, and for 20 or 30 minutes he is possessed. At home Smith has a bright, glass-walled room containing nothing but his own stair climber, which he has positioned so that he has a view of his backyard pool and the saltwater inlet that meanders lazily to Chesapeake Bay. Smith seldom has time these days for the pool, but the stair climber is beginning to rust from the constant torrent of sweat that pours onto it. "Bruce Smith does a workout designed for defensive backs, wide receivers and marathoners," says Jones. In a 20-minute workout, Smith climbs the equivalent of 148 floors, running 3.5 miles, burning off 800 calories.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

The highlights he put together are worth the watch if you like watching pass rush and our DE’s getting held over and over and over.  Such OBVIOUS holds.  No calls.  Poor Jerry.  

Austin Jackson definitely was our best on Sunday. 

Thanks.   I enjoyed the guy's POV.  The Dolphins used to have a great LT, Laremy Tunsil.  They fleeced the Texans, trading Tunsil for a lot of draft picks, but those draft picks are a benefit only if the players they use them on, pan out.  Jackson is waste of a first rounder.  Right now it's looking like the pathetic Texans and the pathetic Dolphins both lost in that trade.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Thanks.   I enjoyed the guy's POV.  The Dolphins used to have a great LT, Laremy Tunsil.  They fleeced the Texans, trading Tunsil for a lot of draft picks, but those draft picks are a benefit only if the players they use them on, pan out.  Jackson is waste of a first rounder.  Right now it's looking like the pathetic Texans and the pathetic Dolphins both lost in that trade.  

@Blokestradamus was the driver of the anti-Austin Jackson train in that 2020 draft. Think he had a day 3 grade on him. I'd have taken him day 2, had him as a late 2nd, early 3rd, but he was a reach in the 1st. A big one.

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Next thing Epenesa is going to do is start making the O-Line get false start penalties, b.c they will be trying to get out of there stance quickly to combat his quickness off the ball.

Yup that will happen at times for sure. Hopefully we luck out and he gets into that Bosa/Watt category. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You would be surprised how many players in the league transform their bodies to maximize talents.. from team suggestions 

Barry Bonds.....  oh wait was for ba..  and that was with pe....  never mind...  carry on.  pardon the interruption..

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

The highlights he put together are worth the watch if you like watching pass rush and our DE’s getting held over and over and over.  Such OBVIOUS holds.  No calls.  Poor Jerry.  

Austin Jackson definitely was our best on Sunday. 

This was hilarious and great display of offensive line ineffectiveness.  It was also great to hear it from a Dolphin fan that is understandably upset, it was terrific.

19 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This was hilarious and great display of offensive line ineffectiveness.  It was also great to hear it from a Dolphin fan that is understandably upset, it was terrific.

He seems to be a Fins YouTuber that realizes he has no chance to flourish covering his team.  Plan B:  tap into Bills Mafia.  We slurp up every last drop of Josh Allen vids, so he now makes Josh Allen vids. That’s hilarious.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You would be surprised how many players in the league transform their bodies to maximize talents.. from team suggestions 

Le'Veon Bell absolutely changed his body from Michigan State when he got to Pittsburgh because they didn't like his look 

Our very own Lorenzo Alexander.. played defensive tackle in the NFL..bulked to 300+... then the Redskins had him playing offensive line defensive line and tight end... Then he trimmed down to 240 lb to play outside linebacker

Absolutely insane 

If you want to make a team a lot of players will do absolutely anything to stick.. especially if you're on the back half of a roster

Bruce Smith did this, too, back in the day.

I was really low on the pick of Epenesa. I did not like it at all. I thought he was too slow to be an effective rusher, and not strong enough to move 0-linemen like he did at Iowa. I just didn't see his place in the NFL.

These are the moments that I'm very happy to be wrong. Go Bills! Go Epenesa!

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I was really low on the pick of Epenesa. I did not like it at all. I thought he was too slow to be an effective rusher, and not strong enough to move 0-linemen like he did at Iowa. I just didn't see his place in the NFL.

These are the moments that I'm very happy to be wrong. Go Bills! Go Epenesa!

Same here.  I saw Shaq Lawson upside.  Eager to see him line across from someone who isn’t name Austin Jackson though.  Dude can make any look all pro

• Like (+1) 1