NY Times feature piece on Josh Allen

dave mcbride

Allen’s evolution to this lofty moment toppled a principle of football doctrine: that quarterbacks can’t enhance their accuracy. After selecting Allen in 2018, Bills General Manager Brandon Beane was told that he had just taken a tight end. He knew otherwise.

Well if Beane was wrong he has a very expensive TE and a QB with starting experience for one year but I do not think he is wrong.

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Kinda weird that that article had to come out now when Josh hasn’t been very accurate...

Did you read the whole article? Addresses that in second to last paragraph.

”Allen, though, hasn’t made entirely right decisions so far. After losing to Pittsburgh in Week 1, he suggested he was struggling with his footwork, and despite rebounding to thrash Miami in Week 2, Allen still committed what Pro Football Focus calls turnover-worthy plays — involving poor ball security or passes that have a strong chance of being intercepted — on a career-high 10.8 percent of his snaps.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Did you read the whole article? Addresses that in second to last paragraph.

”Allen, though, hasn’t made entirely right decisions so far. After losing to Pittsburgh in Week 1, he suggested he was struggling with his footwork, and despite rebounding to thrash Miami in Week 2, Allen still committed what Pro Football Focus calls turnover-worthy plays — involving poor ball security or passes that have a strong chance of being intercepted — on a career-high 10.8 percent of his snaps.”

It's all that damn cupping therapy!!

• Haha (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Kinda weird that that article had to come out now when Josh hasn’t been very accurate...

I dont think the rest of the world is ready to give up on him like some people on here. 

“I think there’s two kinds of players in this league: guys that get figured out and guys that figure it out,” Allen said in an interview after a recent practice. “And I was always going to be the guy who figured it out.”

Allen’s evolution to this lofty moment toppled a principle of football doctrine: that quarterbacks can’t enhance their accuracy. After selecting Allen in 2018, Bills General Manager Brandon Beane was told that he had just taken a tight end. He knew otherwise.

At his job interview the year before, after Buffalo’s 16th consecutive season without making the playoffs, Beane noted that the New England Patriots dynasty had been sustained in part by their three fellow A.F.C. East teams, which regularly changed coaches and front offices.

Unseating the Patriots, he said, demanded time and patience, and as he scouted quarterback prospects before the draft he resolved to invest both in Allen.

On the farmstead where Allen grew up in Firebaugh, Calif., a small community about 40 miles northwest of Fresno, his family has long nurtured cantaloupe, cotton and wheat — and, more recently, pistachios. Much like Allen himself, their trees need years of cultivation before producing a yield. Allen’s progression from imprecise college quarterback to N.F.L. star took an honest assessment of the transformation he required.

“When you lie to yourself, the only person you hurt is yourself,” Allen said. “Being completely honest and understanding that there’s things I need to work on, I’m not afraid to reach out and ask somebody for help.”

Edited by nedboy7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I dont think the rest of the world is ready to give up on him like some people on here. 

Fans can be insane. Josh has improved through lots of dedicated focused work on fundamentals, tackling one issue, then another, etc. Some think that goes away? That 2020 was just a fluke?  He still has that rocker arm, great running ability, etc. His decision making has been suspect but guess what, experience matters. It's more a mental slump. I'm glad he himself has said that he needs to be more "light" and a leader for his teammates. He's playing all tense right now, if he just has fun again he'll back to form.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This is it. This is all you need to read. 

"Every snap he takes still seems to generate a greater range of outcomes than a Choose Your Own Adventure novel, and maybe that will never completely change. But week after week, the best quarterbacks are not those who dominate the highlights. They’re the ones who think fast, make smart throws and don’t commit turnovers. Allen can do that — has done that — and if he can do it consistently, then the longest, best, most gratifying season in Bills history might lie just ahead."

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well researched is not same thing as well cited.

Definition of clickbait

: something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clickbait

Was the content of dubious value or interest?

It's fine to disagree with the article's content or to question the author's sources, but I don't see how it fits the "click bait" definition. That's what I was asking. In what way is it click bait?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Think of these last two games (and probably a few more along the way) as a blip in a long successful career. Take the zoomed out view.

Well I hope this is the correct view.  It could be the wrong view, unfortunately, and we won't know until we see how Allen's performance changes through time.  You can't look at two days of stock market changes and declare that the losses we just saw are a blip. What are the fundamental reasons for the drop?  Looking closely at the fundamentals gives a much clearer picture of what's going on.  For this the opposite of the zoomed out view is needed.  Allen won't suddenly get over what ails him just by assuming he will.  He more than anyone needs to look very closely at what's happening, and work hard to correct whatever flaws he finds.  Based on past performance, that's exactly what will happen.  But you know what they say about past performance.

As I said, I hope your view is right.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Was the content of dubious value or interest?

It's fine to disagree with the article's content or to question the author's sources, but I don't see how it fits the "click bait" definition. That's what I was asking. In what way is it click bait?

There's nothing wrong with it. Just a couple of jamokes giving you a hard time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1