TE greats of all time

As with all "all time" lists, hard to compare TE's from different eras

1. TE's are now much featured in an offense - before they were basically glorified "Tackle Eligibles"

2. In general, all receiving stats these days are so much more inflated due to 

a. the emphasis on passing game and 

b. the more liberal rules allowed to the offense

t

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Draconator said:

He's overshadowed by Kelce, but George Kittle needs to be in the discussion.

No, cant see it. Only 2 great seasons and only yielded 5 TD's in each. Only 10 games played the last 2 seasons. You want to say "one of the best" in the game today, OK.

But All Time Great? Nah! The body of work just isn't there. 

Great player though when healthy. JMHO of course.

To me in no particular order it's:

Gonzalez

Gronk

Kelce

Sharpe

Gates

Witten

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

After only two games, the performances we are seeing by tight ends is absolutory incredible  I am just amazed at what Gronk can still do.  And of course now Kelce seems to be in another stratosphere.  

Who are you top 5 TE of all time?  Here is a good site for stats.   https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask?q=most+yards+by+a+tight+end+all-time

I'm still going with Tony Gonzalez as #1.  You can make a strong case for Gronk though.  Gonzalez has played twice as many games as Gronk, yet Gronk only trails Gonzalez by 21 TDs while having a higher yards/game and yards/catch than Gonzalez.  .  Some of the stats are really interesting.  Kelce is #1 in yards/game and by a wide margin.  I'm trying to avoid a bias to this eras players but the numbers are staggering.  I'm also trying to take blocking into account in my rankings.  If Kelce continues at this pace, he will move into the top 5 if he is not already there.  

My Top 5

1. Gonzalez

2. Gronk

3. Gates

4. Newsome

5. Winslow

6. Kelce

7. Sharpe

8. Witten

9. Mackey

10. Casper

What do you all think?

My top 5:

1. Tony Gonzales (one of my favorite players ever)

2. Antonio Gates

3. Rob Gronkowski

4. Jason Witten

5. Shannon Sharpe

I know I'm missing the oldies like Newsome & Winslow, but I just think these guys are the best to ever do it. Olsen & Ertz could be on a top 10-20 list, and guys like Kelce & George Kittle could certainly be on there when their careers are done. 

I just didn't see as much of the older greats, but the 1990's - current TE's have been some of the best athletes in the entire NFL.

I can only comment on guys since 2002. To me what separates Gonzalez, Gronk and Witten from Kelce and Gates is they were all around tight ends. Kelce might be the best receiving tight end I have ever seen, but he is a below average blocker. He doesn't suck as a blocker.... he isn't Zach Ertz... but he is below average. Gonzalez, Gronk and Witten could do it all. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I would put Casper higher on this list. 

The running game was much more important in those days and Casper blocked like a left tackle. When they easily defeated the much smaller Vikings in the Super Bowl, he was just crushing defenders and the Raiders ran at will from the opening drive. 

Casper also had great hands and managed to get open. Stabler often used him in the way that Kelly used Metz, in that he would throw fastballs into the middle of his very wide upper body. These throws were very hard to defend in the end zone.

Casper never had the numbers that many on this list had but again, running was at least twice as important.

Now, despite the above tribute to Dave Casper, I never saw a better tight end than Gronk.

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Gonzalez, Gronk and Kelce are all neck and neck. Gonzelez is my #1 for now but Gronk and Kelce are still playing. I take into account the entire career.  

Kelce may push to #1 the way he is playing with Mahomes since they may have a longer time together.

The Gronk-Brady window may have 2-3 years left tops. Maybe less. Then how will Gronk do with another QB. My wish would be that it's with Allen for a few years and a trip back home to the Super Bowl. 

I think Gronk retires again when Brady retires, if Brady ever retires man keeps going like the freaking energizer bunny.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd think

Gonzalez

Gronk

Kelce

Gates

Witten

I try to avoid tight ends from back in the day - any of these guys would have dominated back then so... on my all time list they all go ahead.  I think Sharpe was a great player, but I think I'd rather have gates in the RZ or witten as a blocker.

Edited by dneveu

John Mackey (SU) set the bar...feel sorry for you youngins who never saw him play.

Some other good ones from that era that come to mind: Pete Lammons, Ted Kwalick, Fred Arbanas, Charlie Sanders

Edit: Adding Jerry Smith to the list above, in fact, I would give him serious HOF consideration.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Keith Jackson and Ben Coates are better than a few on the list, both of them were excellent blockers in the run game but could still hang with everyone else on the list in the pass game from an earlier era (without the two hand touch rules we have now).

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

After only two games, the performances we are seeing by tight ends is absolutory incredible  I am just amazed at what Gronk can still do.  And of course now Kelce seems to be in another stratosphere.  

Who are you top 5 TE of all time?  Here is a good site for stats.   https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask?q=most+yards+by+a+tight+end+all-time

I'm still going with Tony Gonzalez as #1.  You can make a strong case for Gronk though.  Gonzalez has played twice as many games as Gronk, yet Gronk only trails Gonzalez by 21 TDs while having a higher yards/game and yards/catch than Gonzalez.  .  Some of the stats are really interesting.  Kelce is #1 in yards/game and by a wide margin.  I'm trying to avoid a bias to this eras players but the numbers are staggering.  I'm also trying to take blocking into account in my rankings.  If Kelce continues at this pace, he will move into the top 5 if he is not already there.  

My Top 5

1. Gonzalez

2. Gronk

3. Gates

4. Newsome

5. Winslow

6. Kelce

7. Sharpe

8. Witten

9. Mackey

10. Casper

Ditka is just outside the top 10

What do you all think?

Scott Chandler like #11? Worth honorable mention 🙄😆😆😆

17 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

John Mackey (SU) set the bar...feel sorry for you youngins who never saw him play.

Some other good ones from that era that come to mind: Pete Lammons, Ted Kwalick, Fred Arbanas, Charlie Sanders

I forgot Charlie Sanders :doh:, he can take Winslow’s place on my list.

Gronk

Mackey

Ditka

Sanders

Newsome

• Like (+1) 1