Josh Allen - Cupping Therapy on Neck

Back2Buff

This is a treatment that has become quite popular in just the last couple of years but as far as I’ve read, it doesn’t seem to be anything revolutionary or game changing. There’s a fair bit of speculation on just how useful it is, I guess. Feels kinda like a new trendy thing in sports rehab but hey maybe it works for some. 

46 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

LMAO, i've never seen anything like that

Interestingly enough, I worked with a woman for a long time before we realized we were both Sabres fans and told me about her son.  He played in Syracuse and the Quebec international Pee-Wee minor league..  She had nothing but bad things to say about him because he was "always injured" when he didn't feel like playing in HS and her son basically said he was a piece of glass.

I don't know how accurate these things were since it was before my time but I'd take her word for it for sure.  

Edited by The Wiz

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Cupping has been used effectively for couple thousand years in multiple coultures.  It is now even used by most chiropractors.  It works on fascial restrictions thus promoting healing and relaxation. 

Please. No it has not been used "effectively" by multiple cultures. Most of that period to which you refer was before the advent of modern medicine, when life expectancy was half what it is now and things Smallpox wiped out whole communities. Chiropractors are not researchers, nor are they doctors. They don't set the bar very high, so when you say "even used" this is not an endorsement from science based medicine. Cupping doesn't work. It never has and it never will. If we don't trust empiricism and the scientific method to determine what is real, we will all suffer from something more than sore necks. I hope he is actually seeing a physio. And maybe burning sage while saying Tom Brady backwards three times. That has worked for thousands of years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

“Cupping”, is used in an attempt to increase blood flow into a specific anatomic area, the theory is that it can have a therapeutic effect on musculature, this has never been proven to be so, although therapeutic / sports massage of the same musculature is known to be effective in relaxing said muscle grouping.

Cupping in all reality does the same thing as giving someone a hickey as it was known when I was younger. Cupping is a “somewhat” recent fade in this country in the last decade-ish, it has become more popular.  It is not medicinal in any way shape or form. It is reminiscent of applying leaches for therapeutic gain. 

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I wonder if two girls were responsible for that one cup mark?

Ahhhhh yeahhhhhhh!  

1 hour ago, Fortunesmith said:

Cupping is pseudoscience garbage. There is absolutely no empirical evidence it does anything of benefit. Placebo perhaps  

That’s what they used to say about acupuncture.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

GUIYS! JOSH HAS ILLUMINATI CROP CIRCLES ON HIS NECK!!!

BILLS SUPERBOWL WIN, WITH THEIR QB SPORTING THE MARK OF THE BEAST!!!

JET FUEL DOESN'T BURN STEEL BEAMS. STEELERS D MELTS BEANES TEAM!

5 PAGES?!?!?

Lol yall freaking out and looking for clues and solving mysteries. 

The inside of the training facility is like a resort. Massages, cryotherapy, haircuts, jacuzzi, good food, oxygen chambers.. There's proli a cupping room, and there's proli a cute chick that does it with soft hands. And it's free. And maybe it works. But proli doesn't. But def doesn't hurt. And it's free. Like wtf, imma go get some cupping and that's the full story 😆😆

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

So is it safe to assume that all the MDs you have been to have been "brilliant"?

Most people don’t realize what a bad doctor is until something non-traditional or scary happens to them or a loved one. 

I was just at the Albany Med ER a few weeks ago with some chest pains. A woman came in, she was there the night before after a car accident. They gave her a once over, scanned her noggin, etc. told her everything was normal and sent her home. They called her and told her to come back over a day later because she had a brain bleed on her CT. But because she didn’t have any symptoms when she came in post accident nobody actually waited for the radiologist to read the CT. 

Similar story, my father in law was diagnosed with cancer after a car accident. But not at the hospital. A month later when he follow up with his GP. The hospital took some imaging of his back. The doctor found a 2 or 3 tumors on his kidneys, but didn’t mention it to him because he thought he probably already knew about it. 

I trust medicine and science, but doctors miss stuff sometimes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sblite5 said:

Please. No it has not been used "effectively" by multiple cultures. Most of that period to which you refer was before the advent of modern medicine, when life expectancy was half what it is now and things Smallpox wiped out whole communities. Chiropractors are not researchers, nor are they doctors. They don't set the bar very high, so when you say "even used" this is not an endorsement from science based medicine. Cupping doesn't work. It never has and it never will. If we don't trust empiricism and the scientific method to determine what is real, we will all suffer from something more than sore necks. I hope he is actually seeing a physio. And maybe burning sage while saying Tom Brady backwards three times. That has worked for thousands of years. 

I have my thoughts on chiropractics in general. I generally think their are a lot better ways to manage the spine than forcefully adjusting. But part of the reason people rely on them is because medicine pretty much fails at addressing the spine for daily issues with aches and mobility. Your MD deals with precisely that. Medicine. Greater access to quality and affordable physio would really ease the reliance on chiropractics. 

That isn’t my point though. 

Cupping isn’t just some weird pseudo science. I know a number of olympic people physios on staff and athletes who swear by it for not just pain relief, but recovery as well. And honestly, let’s just say it’s a pseudo science, it isn’t harmful in any way, shape, or form. So if cupping makes somebody’s neck feel better, who cares. Sage makes me feel less anxious. My doctor isn’t prescribing sage either. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I had no opinion, because we don’t know what we don’t know. Remember when he had the left shoulder problems and just didn’t look like himself for a while? He’s had a couple throws this year that looked like they needed more zip allowing the DB to close on the ball. One in particular to the left sideline stands out in my mind. I have ZERO idea if this may be related, or what other causes might come into play that we know nothing about. 

Bottom line? I’ll trust them to do the right things and pray he gets physically and mentally back to the Josh of last season! 

Prayer?? Jesus! Now we’re Really getting out there! Sky fairies! Perfect. Why didn’t I think of that?🤦‍♂️
What’s next? Summoning bizzaro world witch Doctors?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Prayer?? Jesus! Now we’re Really getting out there! Sky fairies! Perfect. Why didn’t I think of that?🤦‍♂️
What’s next? Summoning bizzaro world witch Doctors?

It’s the only thing that guarantees at least an 84% chance of fending off the voodoo dolls used by the interns of opposing teams. I thought everyone knew that! Advanced stats, man! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Mango said:

Most people don’t realize what a bad doctor is until something non-traditional or scary happens to them or a loved one. 

I was just at the Albany Med ER a few weeks ago with some chest pains. A woman came in, she was there the night before after a car accident. They gave her a once over, scanned her noggin, etc. told her everything was normal and sent her home. They called her and told her to come back over a day later because she had a brain bleed on her CT. But because she didn’t have any symptoms when she came in post accident nobody actually waited for the radiologist to read the CT. 

Similar story, my father in law was diagnosed with cancer after a car accident. But not at the hospital. A month later when he follow up with his GP. The hospital took some imaging of his back. The doctor found a 2 or 3 tumors on his kidneys, but didn’t mention it to him because he thought he probably already knew about it. 

I trust medicine and science, but doctors miss stuff sometimes. 

yep, my father did a colonoscopy, the MD told him there were 3 polyps but did nothing to remove them.  My father has no medical training and 2 years later boom he has colon cancer with mets to the liver.  luckily he survived and is not the litigious type.  Spending 16 hours a day hopped up on Adderal to pass your pre-med classes, MCATs, etc. does not mean one has people and/or clinical skills.  That being said I have known several amazing MDs, but definitely not all of them

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I noticed this during the final preseason game, but Allen had a bunch of cupping therapy marks around on his neck, specifically on the right side of his neck.  This cupping therapy is usually used as pain relief from muscle issues.  These first two games, there seems to be an issues with the power Allen is throwing with.  Lots of throws seem to be almost short, or lack the power to get to the open player before the defender is getting there.  There also seems to be a theme where he is avoiding the right side of the field.  I wonder if there is something going on with the right side of his neck.

Here is a picture from the preseason game where you can see the mark.

4ea0c50e8ca949f283996e3f9330e07d.jpg?w=1

Wow eagle eyes.. can’t hide anything !