OT: Are you concerned about Mac Jones?

Success

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s doing what is asked of him so far. I don’t have anything negative to say. 
But we shouldn’t be concerned with anyone honestly. This team is built to beat anyone. We shouldn’t be in fear or concerned over other teams and certainly not their rookies. 

You're absolutely right.

It's taking me some time to change my perspective on these things after the past 20 or so, but I'm getting there.  With Allen & the team we have, it's a bit irrational to still view the Patriots the same way.

2 hours ago, Jobot said:

A Montana to Young, or a Favre to Rogers situation is worlds better than a Brady to Brady situation my friend. It's so insanely unrealistic to think that the Pats will have the two greatest quarterbacks of all time go back to back.

The number of things that had to come together for Brady to become what he is today is also astronomical. That's just for one Brady.

I still don't want either of the 2 former situations - but those would be insane longshots as well.  Even the idea that he could be a top 50 of all time is far-fetched.

I do think there is something to the way they develop a QB though. It's smarter than most teams.  It was on full display Sunday - Wilson felt more like he was being thrown into the fire, and the results showed. The Pats are so much more careful w/ Jones.  They really have patience, and if nothing else, it will be better for his confidence.

They seem to have that luxury more than most teams, though. They're more well-constructed and better coached overall.  We'll see how things get once they have to play better teams, and get down by a few scores in some games and really have to pass the ball.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It certainly is not fair to compare him to the GOAT Cheater.  

Of course, he hasn’t had the opportunities to cheat like Brady has for over two decades straight. Let Epenesa lose on the rookie, he has already taken out one starter in the division, two more would be perfect, whats the term hockey guy use for three goals, a hatrick or some such a thing, 😁👍

So are you worried about Mac Jones or the Patriots? Would people be having this reaction if he was the rookie QB of the Panthers? Bears? Broncos? (Insert whatever team you would like)…I get it that some people still have Patriots hangover, but has he done anything at all that should make anyone concerned at this point? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, foreboding said:

Who seriously, except Brady, thought he'd Brady would become what he has? The realist in me says Mac Jones is a nice QB...maybe even franchise, in a controlled system. His ceiling is probably Matt Ryan. All in, a solid choice.

Not even. Ryan has a strong arm even at 37.  Mac seems like a nice game manager and BB is playing it nice and safe for him.  Obviously the Fins aren’t a 10-6 looking team right now, and the Jets, cmon.  They have a running game, safe passes, and a solid defense.  No pushovers, but mark my words the debate will be over it was Brady, not BB was the biggest reason for their success.  BB is probably a top 3 all time coach, but most of us are too young to know Lombardi won 5 NFL championships in 7 years.

He is a rookie learning to play in the NFL. Worry about it if he figures it out and the Bills haven't won a ring yet.  (if this is what that all means)

And if your team is built strong enough and you have a good coach, your QB doesn't need to be the best in the league or even top 5. 

Trent Dilfer

Brad Johnson

Eli Manning 

Joe Flacco

Tom Brady (01)

all not consider great QBs and won SBs. Brady in 01 was a game manager, no where near what he became.  (i notice how that "game manager" title gets thrown around to discredit QBs) If they are 1st, 2nd year QBs you want to bring them along right, not screw them up for the rest of their careers.

Even a Jimmy G and a Matt Ryan went to a SB. Matt Cassell went 11-5 with a strong team around him. It doesn't end all w the QB. It takes way more than having a great QB. if that was the case. Peyton, Rodgers and Brees would have a sh*t ton more.

Edited by Ghost_002!

1 hour ago, Ghost_002! said:

He is a rookie learning to play in the NFL. Worry about it if he figures it out and the Bills haven't won a ring yet.  (if this is what that all means)

And if your team is built strong enough and you have a good coach, your QB doesn't need to be the best in the league or even top 5. 

Trent Dilfer

Brady Johnson

Eli Manning 

Joe Flacco

Tom Brady (01)

all not consider great QBs and won SBs. Brady in 01 was a game manager, no where near what he became.  (i notice how that "game manager" title gets thrown around to discredit QBs) If they are 1st, 2nd year QBs you want to bring them along right, not screw them up for the rest of their careers.

Even a Jimmy G and a Matt Ryan went to a SB. Matt Cassell went 11-5 with a strong team around him. It doesn't end all w the QB. It takes way more than having a great QB. if that was the case. Peyton, Rodgers and Brees would have a sh*t ton more.

"Game manager" isn't a bad thing to have.  But it's also not an elite QB.  

With a game manager, you can win a SB - but you need a lot of other things to go right, and the team around the QB has to be a great one.  An elite QB can take an above average team there.

Lol, no. He's the type of QB the Bills would've railroaded in the 2000s. He's only going to survive for a while because it's BB and the Pats. Like those teams, he'll keep them competitive but they'll be out of the playoff hunt by December most years. 

People were afraid of Darnold and Tua lmao, and this is Tua's backup who ran an offense with however many 1st round talents around him on arguably one of the most consistently talented college programs to ever be fielded.

9 hours ago, Success said:

Not sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but I was curious what other Bills fans were thinking up to this point.  It's hard for me to put in perspective because I have such a psychosis when it comes to the Pats. I was worried about Jimmy G, and even Stidham.

But the Mac hype is officially through the roof. When I'm on general NFL boards or twitter, it seems to be accepted that he is "the best of all the rookie QB's so far," and Pats fans think they got the steal of the draft.

Being obsessive about these things, I watched all of the passes from their 1st 2 games. There is no doubt he is accurate, and seems poised in the pocket.  The main thing I saw was more related to coaching - they really set the plays up for him to succeed.  He takes almost no risks at all.  Most passes are short outs or check downs (not disparaging those things, because they can be effective).   I saw nothing that made me think he could do what around 20 or so current QB's could do w/ that same coaching and in that system.

Which, of course, reminds me of Brady's early years. Brady transcended that and became a guy who could take over games and lead big comebacks.  I can't help but ask, was that because he was developed properly, and can New England do the same thing w/ Mac?  Or is Brady just Brady, and expecting the same progression for Mac is unlikely at best?

Naturally, I'm hoping we don't have a Montana/Young thing going there, and it's still extremely early. I'm just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on it so far.....

No.

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Why?

I mean...Matt Cassel went 10-5 with the Pats, with 63% completions and 2:1 int ratio, but took 47 sacks. He was decent, accurate, had plenty of arm, but was a statue. Mac Jones is looking exactly the same. Having a guy like that who doesn't try to overplay his hand definitely puts them in the wild card race.

But again, that schedule they played that year was really really easy.

Our division's schedules that year were really lucky. Easy enough to make the Dolphins look really good, winning eleven games when the year before they won one and  the year after they went 7-9. Yes, some of that was the wildcat, but a lot more was the schedule.

Jones is pretty athletic, and can throw long with accuracy, as he showed at Alabama. 

Yeah, I'm a little worried, but I always am till guys show they're just not good enough over time.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm

Interesting stats:  Mac Jones is dead last in completed air yards and intended air yards both gross and per attempt.  New England is top third in yards after the catch.  

Our own passing stats are pretty sad right now.  

Mac is protecting the football right now and the Patriots are playing solid D.  I expect the Pats to continue to grind out wins against lower tier teams and surprise some poorly prepared teams with more talent.  However, I think they will get the doors blown off of them by elite offenses.  Our offense better be clicking when we face them or we are in for a long day.

14 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He's Chad Pennington with nicer hair.

I hope not. 

Before the shoulder injuries, Pennington looked like he was rounding into hall of fame form. His first year he only had 5 attempts. His second year, only 20. His first year as a consistent starter, he had a passer rating of 104, back when that was top two or three in the league.

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm

Interesting stats:  Mac Jones is dead last in completed air yards and intended air yards both gross and per attempt.  New England is top third in yards after the catch.  

Our own passing stats are pretty sad right now.  

Mac is protecting the football right now and the Patriots are playing solid D.  I expect the Pats to continue to grind out wins against lower tier teams and surprise some poorly prepared teams with more talent.  However, I think they will get the doors blown off of them by elite offenses.  Our offense better be clicking when we face them or we are in for a long day.

I'd just say that a bunch of that YAC is coming because he's hitting guys in stride and putting them in position to run. He's accurate as hell.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.