OT: Are you concerned about Mac Jones?

Success

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He looks quite good to me. I don't like the fact that he's on the Patriots, that's for sure. Saying he's rag-armed or being set up for success seems akin to whistling past the graveyard to me. He made a lot of great throws at Bama last year that demonstrated he could play.

Disagree. The Pats roster is very strong top to bottom and as I said, he looks good. The Bills can definitely win the division, but they're not a shoo-in. 

He looks much better than Cassel to me. 

Kind of a semantics thing but I'd say thats more being worried about the team than mac jones himself.  He looks like he is the type of QB they need to be competitive with the defense they have but its impossible to say at this point if hes the 'i can put the team on my back and win' guy.  i think cam was a tougher matchup for us last year than mac is going to be this year but overall mac is already a better qb than cam is if that makes any sense lol

35 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

His ball placement appears legit...reminds me of a young Tom Brady 

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm more concerned the Patriots will revert to some of their previous "tactics" and the league will look the other way, as they have always done.

A pats fan told me that Jones looks like Brady too... and I'm worried that he's learning the same ways to cheat.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Not sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but I was curious what other Bills fans were thinking up to this point.  It's hard for me to put in perspective because I have such a psychosis when it comes to the Pats. I was worried about Jimmy G, and even Stidham.

But the Mac hype is officially through the roof. When I'm on general NFL boards or twitter, it seems to be accepted that he is "the best of all the rookie QB's so far," and Pats fans think they got the steal of the draft.

Being obsessive about these things, I watched all of the passes from their 1st 2 games. There is no doubt he is accurate, and seems poised in the pocket.  The main thing I saw was more related to coaching - they really set the plays up for him to succeed.  He takes almost no risks at all.  Most passes are short outs or check downs (not disparaging those things, because they can be effective).   I saw nothing that made me think he could do what around 20 or so current QB's could do w/ that same coaching and in that system.

Which, of course, reminds me of Brady's early years. Brady transcended that and became a guy who could take over games and lead big comebacks.  I can't help but ask, was that because he was developed properly, and can New England do the same thing w/ Mac?  Or is Brady just Brady, and expecting the same progression for Mac is unlikely at best?

Naturally, I'm hoping we don't have a Montana/Young thing going there, and it's still extremely early. I'm just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on it so far.....

Doesn’t get asked to do a lot not really he’s not made to throw  to get in a shootout will be a nice game manager in New England as long as they can run the ball and play D they’ll be ok if they fall behind by a couple scores and he’s forced to air it out every down you’ll find out the level of prospect he is 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree he looks good. Poised, making smart decisions and accurate. I think his ceiling is a kind of Matt Ryan type and most people would sign up for his career. But the Bills have a better, more talented, guy so I wouldn't say concerned.

Ryan has had some great years, was an MVP, and by all rights should have been super bowl MVP if Shanahan doesn't call an incredibly stupid pass play on second and 11 from the NE 23 with 3:56 to go and up by 8. 

• Agree 1

A Montana to Young, or a Favre to Rogers situation is worlds better than a Brady to Brady situation my friend. It's so insanely unrealistic to think that the Pats will have the two greatest quarterbacks of all time go back to back.

The number of things that had to come together for Brady to become what he is today is also astronomical. That's just for one Brady.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

Not sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but I was curious what other Bills fans were thinking up to this point.  It's hard for me to put in perspective because I have such a psychosis when it comes to the Pats. I was worried about Jimmy G, and even Stidham.

But the Mac hype is officially through the roof. When I'm on general NFL boards or twitter, it seems to be accepted that he is "the best of all the rookie QB's so far," and Pats fans think they got the steal of the draft.

Being obsessive about these things, I watched all of the passes from their 1st 2 games. There is no doubt he is accurate, and seems poised in the pocket.  The main thing I saw was more related to coaching - they really set the plays up for him to succeed.  He takes almost no risks at all.  Most passes are short outs or check downs (not disparaging those things, because they can be effective).   I saw nothing that made me think he could do what around 20 or so current QB's could do w/ that same coaching and in that system.

Which, of course, reminds me of Brady's early years. Brady transcended that and became a guy who could take over games and lead big comebacks.  I can't help but ask, was that because he was developed properly, and can New England do the same thing w/ Mac?  Or is Brady just Brady, and expecting the same progression for Mac is unlikely at best?

Naturally, I'm hoping we don't have a Montana/Young thing going there, and it's still extremely early. I'm just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on it so far.....

You just described a game manager.

Maybe some day he will become more than a game manager, but today, he's a rookie game manager.  Why be afraid of the future?

2 hours ago, Success said:

The way our defense is playing I am not worried about anyone on our schedule but KC and Tampa.  

The Pats* are currently last in red zone production, I believe. Which more than anything confirms that Belichick* isn't allowing him to make too many risky throws. It would seem that the plan for Mac & Cheese is for him to have a slow ascendance, and only let him run plays that he feels perfectly comfortable in. 

Honestly, comparing how the Patriots* are developing Mac & Cheese to how the Jets are "developing" Zack & Wheeze is pretty remarkable (quotation marks unfortunately necessary). Mac & Cheese spent the offseason with a seasoned vet (Cam), and now has an even older vet (Hoyer) in the QB room. He's well protected on the field, and is running a simple playbook. Zack & Wheeze spent the offseason with two of the scrubbiest QBs in the league who are barely qualified to hold a clip board, and he's now battling for his life every Sunday. The Jets offense on the field is so chaotic, and Wilson has so little protection, that the playbook is practically an afterthought.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.