OT: Are you concerned about Mac Jones?

Success

Not sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but I was curious what other Bills fans were thinking up to this point.  It's hard for me to put in perspective because I have such a psychosis when it comes to the Pats. I was worried about Jimmy G, and even Stidham.

But the Mac hype is officially through the roof. When I'm on general NFL boards or twitter, it seems to be accepted that he is "the best of all the rookie QB's so far," and Pats fans think they got the steal of the draft.

Being obsessive about these things, I watched all of the passes from their 1st 2 games. There is no doubt he is accurate, and seems poised in the pocket.  The main thing I saw was more related to coaching - they really set the plays up for him to succeed.  He takes almost no risks at all.  Most passes are short outs or check downs (not disparaging those things, because they can be effective).   I saw nothing that made me think he could do what around 20 or so current QB's could do w/ that same coaching and in that system.

Which, of course, reminds me of Brady's early years. Brady transcended that and became a guy who could take over games and lead big comebacks.  I can't help but ask, was that because he was developed properly, and can New England do the same thing w/ Mac?  Or is Brady just Brady, and expecting the same progression for Mac is unlikely at best?

Naturally, I'm hoping we don't have a Montana/Young thing going there, and it's still extremely early. I'm just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on it so far.....

He’s played well but as you said he hasn’t really been asked to do a lot. Tons of short screen passes and easy completions. Credit to the Pats for putting him in a good position but I’m not scared of anything he’s done yet.

Lets see how he does when the Pats are down big and need to open up the offense more.

It'll be years before we know what Mac Jones is anyway so it’s not worth worrying about yet. And I still have faith that Allen stays the better QB between the two. Jones doesn’t have the freak arm + athletic traits Allen does. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He looks quite good to me. I don't like the fact that he's on the Patriots, that's for sure. Saying he's rag-armed or being set up for success seems akin to whistling past the graveyard to me. He made a lot of great throws at Bama last year that demonstrated he could play.

1 minute ago, Process said:

What a ridiculous thing to worry about right now.

Disagree. The Pats roster is very strong top to bottom and as I said, he looks good. The Bills can definitely win the division, but they're not a shoo-in. 

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He hasn't shown any ability to escape the pocket. He looks like the reincarnation of Matt Cassel.

He'll always be compared to Brady, which obviously isn't fair. If I'm concerned at all, it's that he turns out to be decent enough to steal a game from the Bills every season. 

He looks much better than Cassel to me. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He hasn't shown any ability to escape the pocket. He looks like the reincarnation of Matt Cassel.

He'll always be compared to Brady, which obviously isn't fair. If I'm concerned at all, it's that he turns out to be decent enough to steal a game from the Bills every season. 

It certainly is not fair to compare him to the GOAT Cheater.  

• Agree 1

Given the fact that he is a rookie, I think he is showing some competence and poise.  Having said that, I'm not worried about his singular ability to beat the Bills.  I am more concerned with them as a team being able to run the ball well against us and playing good defense against us, particularly if they get Gillmore back.  I think we have much more talent overall than they do (assuming everyone stays healthy) and I think we can beat them!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mac Jones with the Pats are in a weird spot right now. Short term I feel like especially with the Bills new found pass rush he won't be too much of a threat but by the time that he could be, will bellicheat still be coaching the team to equip Matt with a defense that can compliment his style of play. 

I'm more concerned about Wilson but that is still predicated on the Jets not screwing it up which they are off to a good start in doing so.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He looks much better than Cassel to me. 

Why?

I mean...Matt Cassel went 10-5 with the Pats, with 63% completions and 2:1 int ratio, but took 47 sacks. He was decent, accurate, had plenty of arm, but was a statue. Mac Jones is looking exactly the same. Having a guy like that who doesn't try to overplay his hand definitely puts them in the wild card race.

33 minutes ago, Success said:

Not sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but I was curious what other Bills fans were thinking up to this point.  It's hard for me to put in perspective because I have such a psychosis when it comes to the Pats. I was worried about Jimmy G, and even Stidham.

But the Mac hype is officially through the roof. When I'm on general NFL boards or twitter, it seems to be accepted that he is "the best of all the rookie QB's so far," and Pats fans think they got the steal of the draft.

Being obsessive about these things, I watched all of the passes from their 1st 2 games. There is no doubt he is accurate, and seems poised in the pocket.  The main thing I saw was more related to coaching - they really set the plays up for him to succeed.  He takes almost no risks at all.  Most passes are short outs or check downs (not disparaging those things, because they can be effective).   I saw nothing that made me think he could do what around 20 or so current QB's could do w/ that same coaching and in that system.

Which, of course, reminds me of Brady's early years. Brady transcended that and became a guy who could take over games and lead big comebacks.  I can't help but ask, was that because he was developed properly, and can New England do the same thing w/ Mac?  Or is Brady just Brady, and expecting the same progression for Mac is unlikely at best?

Naturally, I'm hoping we don't have a Montana/Young thing going there, and it's still extremely early. I'm just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on it so far.....

it’s a smart way to develop Him. But from this, it can go either of two ways:

1) Future Tom Brady, or 

2) Future Trent Edwards. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Protocal69 said:

Mac Jones with the Pats are in a weird spot right now. Short term I feel like especially with the Bills new found pass rush he won't be too much of a threat but by the time that he could be, will bellicheat still be coaching the team to equip Matt with a defense that can compliment his style of play. 

I'm more concerned about Wilson but that is still predicated on the Jets not screwing it up which they are off to a good start in doing so.

This is a good point. I think the chances that Mac becomes an elite QB are slim; he'll probably end up in the Jimmy G mode (who is a good QB, but would likely be better if he was on the Pats still).  

But by the time he gets to a point of being more than a game manager, BB might be retired or close to it.  Without BB, it's a whole different equation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.