Offensive Slump: Josh Allen vs Brian Daboll

elijah

19 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The OP is clearly referring to the ineffectiveness of the passing offense.

Then the OP would be well advised to say so: “passing offense slump” would probably draw broad agreement.

In game 1 where we didn’t pack an effective run game, the two would be the same.  

In game 2 where we did and a short pass game to boot, it’s not an apt descriptive

19 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Will it correct itself? Probably, but it’s a fair talking point after a summer full of hype and praise.

It’s unlikely to correct itself.  However, bringing a sincere rush threat and short passing game will correct it in time, along with Allen working on the handful of throws he missed and the OL continuing a “get well” campaign

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Having rewatched every pass from Game 2, I think that’s pretty much mistaken.  

Allen missed 3 throws where  he had enough time and an open receiver.

He made a handful, maybe 4, dangerous throws he shouldn’t have made being hit or pressured as he threw and showing bad technique

7 bad passes doesnt sound like much, until you see his stat line of 17/33 for 179yds. (I wont

7 bad passes is over 20% of all attempts.

It's one thing to do it against a crappy Miami team where we can make up for it on the ground and rely on our Defense. But that won't hold up against the other top teams in the league.

Josh is in a slump. There is no denying it. His mechanics and footwork have regressed for seemingly no reason (he isnt under any more pressure this year than he was last year). He is not seeing open guys, or back to locking into his primary target before the snap even happens.

I fully believe he will play his way out of it and get it right. And probably pretty soon. But it is a real thing, and worth discussing. Even if we did win the last game 35-0.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

7 bad passes doesnt sound like much, until you see his stat line of 17/33 for 179yds. (I wont

7 bad passes is over 20% of all attempts.

It's one thing to do it against a crappy Miami team where we can make up for it on the ground and rely on our Defense. But that won't hold up against the other top teams in the league.

Josh is in a slump. There is no denying it. His mechanics and footwork have regressed for seemingly no reason (he isnt under any more pressure this year than he was last year). He is not seeing open guys, or back to locking into his primary target before the snap even happens.

I fully believe he will play his way out of it and get it right. And probably pretty soon. But it is a real thing, and worth discussing. Even if we did win the last game 35-0.

Im not arguing that Allen doesn’t need to improve or the pass game doesn’t need to improve.  

My point is when the offense hangs up 35 points it’s strange talking’ “slump”.  Give me a slump like that most weeks!

let’s look at it a different way.  The bad decisions/pick need to go.  Keep those up, better offenses will exploit them.  But obviously, >70% completions would be a strong game. It’s not missing 20% of the attempts per se that poses such a problem.

I think people are going nuts over a handful of missed passes and psychoanalyzing Josh’s fingernails because there weren’t enough other opportunities to make up for it.

I’d love all 22 to get the full picture, but lacking that, I would say it’s on the OLand the passing play design vs that D as well, not all on Josh.  Sanders not clicking on all cylinders with Josh also plays a role

In the Steeler game, we saw DBs knocking Bills receivers off their routes.  We also saw Steeler DBs anticipating routes rather than simply following/covering the Bills receiver.  They seemed to know our playbook almost as well as we did.  

When I first watched the game live, I was giving all the blame  to Josh and the offensive line.  But the more replays I watched, the more blame I assigned to Daboll.  

5 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

I disagree Warner even says that he is good with the throw that Josh took but is also showing that based on  the safeties he has the deeper option as well.  I came out basically feeling what I am seeing he is not pulling the trigger as fast as he needs to be this year and doubting a bit of what he is seeing

after what Pittsburgh did to him? It carried over to Miami i might guess. It will come.
slow start for Offense as compared to slump prhaps ?

Dabol needs to stop forcing plays that are not working for long-ish stretches of games, iirc he said as much himself in a post game presser. I like aggressive play calling that pushes the ball down field as much as the next guy, but sometimes it is as if Dabol can’t read the defense his offense is playing, and make the spot adjustments needed,  I’m just an arm chair guy, is it just me, or is Dabol at times so fixated / inflexible on his game plan that he can’t see the forest through the trees so to speak? Yeah, I know things will improve, over time, but there is only 17 times during the regular season…, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Dabol needs to stop forcing plays that are not working for long-ish stretches of games, iirc he said as much himself in a post game presser. I like aggressive play calling that pushes the ball down field as much as the next guy, but sometimes it is as if Dabol can’t read the defense his offense is playing, and make the spot adjustments needed,  I’m just an arm chair guy, is it just me, or is Dabol at times so fixated / inflexible on his game plan that he can’t see the forest through the trees so to speak? Yeah, I know things will improve, over time, but there is only 17 times during the regular season…, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

Coaches are so freaking stubborn...I love when they talk about belichick tailoring game plans to the individual opponent as some earth shattering concept during the broadcast lol most coaches just try to force what they like to do down the other teams throat.  I think he took the hint finally half time at the Miami game that going through progressions with 3 deep routes when your offensive line is struggling probably isn't the best way to go lol

10 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Slump might not be the best descriptor, but the Bills' passing game is clearly not playing at the same level that it did last season.  As suggested above, perhaps some different play calling may get the passing game back into a rhythm.

Or we could start a QB controversy and play Ski for a half.  See if he's worth $1 mil.