#1 Seed In AFC, What It Probably Takes

corta765

The AFC is pretty wild this year as all of the division winners from last year are 1-1, the Broncos and Raiders are 2-0 (wtf), and the only 0-2 teams are the Jags, Jets (no surprise), and Colts (partial surprise). Given the power the #1 seed has now in the playoff picture and the ability to get especially KC on the road and not home for any contender, this year is shaping up to be a dog fight for whoever does get the #1 seed.

So with that said if you look across the board at Bills opponents schedules, the Bills schedule itself, and just some basic guessing a few thinks shake out:

• The Ravens win opened the AFC big time to the #1 seed. KC's division is improved and even if they win it they are going to lose a game if not two. With a AFC conference loss already in the books a Bills or Titans win could really hurt KC further in the battle for 1
  • The Ravens themselves are a threat for the top seed, but their division is a buzz saw and attrition will play a factor. 12-5 will probably take the division, but they need to hope KC can get there too
  • This is without a doubt KC's toughest schedule since Mahomes started and isn't super hard to get them to 12-5 as they have BUF, TEN, GB, DAL, PIT and their full gambit of division games. Going 7-4 in those games is nothing to slouch at and those are all quality opponents.
  • If KC does go 12-5 the whole tie breaking procedure will probably be wild
  • The Bills do not need to necessarily win both KC/TEN, but they have to beat one if they want to be in the dance for the #1 seed. Win both and your in the front seat.
  • The Bills schedule is heavy early on, but after the bye the only tough games are NOLA, TB, & NE. They really need to clean up wins quick against their lesser opponents and if they do they will have a good look.
  • The loss to PIT hurts more in the sense that 13-4 which probably takes the cake only allows 3 more losses. They have KC/TEN/NOLA/TB all on the road and somehow have to go 2-2 minimum so they can afford one loss somewhere else.
  • The Titans may be the biggest threat to the Bills as they have BUF, KC, SF, & LAR but otherwise a probably soft schedule especially considering the Jags & Texans being weak and the Colts current implosion. Truthfully beating the Titans might be more important then KC just given the fact they have a similar amount of soft opponents as Buffalo
  • Cleveland's schedule is no joke like Baltimore and they also need to hope that 12-5 is the mark to get the top seed. Between the division and the quality of opponents they have its tough sledding
  • I do not think the Raiders are a contender (they are a playoff team though), but they already are 2-0 with two big AFC wins including a tiebreaker with Baltimore. If they can go 4-2 division wise they could be a sneaky contender to get to 13 wins as they play the NFC East which is a dog plus weaker looking teams like IND, CHI, &  Cincy. Who knows with Gruden they have started hot before, but Carr does look good and the longer they keep winning the bigger a threat they become.

Overall for the AFC I think if someone gets to 13 wins it will take the #1 seed. The level of competition is vastly higher in the AFC already and personally I think it would be really fun if 12 wins took the #1 seed and the chaos of the tiebreakers.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 3

We need to be 5-1 in the division at minimum.  I get that we want the #1 seed, but the first focus needs to be defending our crown there and securing at least one home playoff game

We're set up to face a lot of young and/or mediocre QB's as well.   Probably need to go undefeated in those matchups, then see how things shake out from there

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

We need to be 5-1 in the division at minimum.  I get that we want the #1 seed, but the first focus needs to be defending our crown there and securing at least one home playoff game

We're set up to face a lot of young and/or mediocre QB's as well.   Probably need to go undefeated in those matchups, then see how things shake out from there

I know it’s difficult to sweep the division, but there’s really no reason we shouldn’t.  

We just saw what we did to Miami, and the Offense isn’t even remotely clicking. 

The Jets are a dumpster fire.  

The Pats could give us a game, but comparing our 1-1 start to their 1-1 start  - the two teams really aren’t close in terms of talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

If the Bills bring their A game they win the Super Bowl

If the Bills bring their B game they go deep

into the playoffs 

If the Bills bring their C game they are fringe wildcard team

If they bring their D game they miss out on the playoffs by end of December 

Moral of the story…this season is about the talent the Bills have then it is breaks for the teams their competing against 

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Chiefs can score on any play. That's the killer. 

You can shut Hill down 45/46 plays. Then, late in the game he gets you on that 46th play for a 75 yard TD. 

Good news? Their defense is so bad you can also score on any play!

It is why for the entire AFC in general anyone not named KC getting the #1 seed is huge to everyone's chances

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

The AFC is pretty wild this year as all of the division winners from last year are 1-1, the Broncos and Raiders are 2-0 (wtf), and the only 0-2 teams are the Jags, Jets (no surprise), and Colts (partial surprise). Given the power the #1 seed has now in the playoff picture and the ability to get especially KC on the road and not home for any contender, this year is shaping up to be a dog fight for whoever does get the #1 seed.

So with that said if you look across the board at Bills opponents schedules, the Bills schedule itself, and just some basic guessing a few thinks shake out:

• The Ravens win opened the AFC big time to the #1 seed. KC's division is improved and even if they win it they are going to lose a game if not two. With a AFC conference loss already in the books a Bills or Titans win could really hurt KC further in the battle for 1
  • The Ravens themselves are a threat for the top seed, but their division is a buzz saw and attrition will play a factor. 12-5 will probably take the division, but they need to hope KC can get there too
  • This is without a doubt KC's toughest schedule since Mahomes started and isn't super hard to get them to 12-5 as they have BUF, TEN, GB, DAL, PIT and their full gambit of division games. Going 7-4 in those games is nothing to slouch at and those are all quality opponents.
  • If KC does go 12-5 the whole tie breaking procedure will probably be wild
  • The Bills do not need to necessarily win both KC/TEN, but they have to beat one if they want to be in the dance for the #1 seed. Win both and your in the front seat.
  • The Bills schedule is heavy early on, but after the bye the only tough games are NOLA, TB, & NE. They really need to clean up wins quick against their lesser opponents and if they do they will have a good look.
  • The loss to PIT hurts more in the sense that 13-4 which probably takes the cake only allows 3 more losses. They have KC/TEN/NOLA/TB all on the road and somehow have to go 2-2 minimum so they can afford one loss somewhere else.
  • The Titans may be the biggest threat to the Bills as they have BUF, KC, SF, & LAR but otherwise a probably soft schedule especially considering the Jags & Texans being weak and the Colts current implosion. Truthfully beating the Titans might be more important then KC just given the fact they have a similar amount of soft opponents as Buffalo
  • Cleveland's schedule is no joke like Baltimore and they also need to hope that 12-5 is the mark to get the top seed. Between the division and the quality of opponents they have its tough sledding
  • I do not think the Raiders are a contender (they are a playoff team though), but they already are 2-0 with two big AFC wins including a tiebreaker with Baltimore. If they can go 4-2 division wise they could be a sneaky contender to get to 13 wins as they play the NFC East which is a dog plus weaker looking teams like IND, CHI, &  Cincy. Who knows with Gruden they have started hot before, but Carr does look good and the longer they keep winning the bigger a threat they become.

Overall for the AFC I think if someone gets to 13 wins it will take the #1 seed. The level of competition is vastly higher in the AFC already and personally I think it would be really fun if 12 wins took the #1 seed and the chaos of the tiebreakers.

That week five matchup looms soooo large. It will be very difficult to have a better record than KC if they beat us in week five. I think that bye week is just huge to have in the playoffs. A week to to get all healed up vs. completely trashing your body playing vs. a good football team.

The weird thing is.... I think if 2020 Josh Allen shows up, I think we can beat them. The way our defense has looked so far? We look freakin' fantastic! I think our OL bounced back vs. the fish and I think it will continue to improve as they continue to adjust with Feliciano and Ford in new positions. Hopefully, Daboll continues to work on our run game and our pass blocking continues to improve and then we just need Josh to play like it's 2020. I think he can do that. With our four current receivers we should be unstoppable. We really should. We have the four receivers plus our duo at RB who has played great this year and then Dawson Knox who has played great. Allen Just has to feel it, fellas.

We can do this, guys.

We need that bye week.....

Go Bills!

What do you think the odds are that the Bills could lose in week five yet win homefield?

Maybe they can do this?

Im telling you, KC is going to have trouble with San Diego this weekend....

Then we could beat a tired KC team at the Ralph......

I'd rather beat them twice fair and square though....

C'mon Josh, kick their ass.

Go Bills!

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Chiefs can score on any play. That's the killer. 

You can shut Hill down 45/46 plays. Then, late in the game he gets you on that 46th play for a 75 yard TD. 

Good news? Their defense is so bad you can also score on any play!

Not when we played them.