Joe B / The Athletic A22 Breakdown

Heitz

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with most of Joe's breakdown.

2 questions.

Do you agree with Joe's assessment of that deep throw to Diggs (41y catch 11:58 into 4th quarter)? He says it was purposely short and he trusted Diggs. I watched it couple of times and it still seems to me that longer throw would be safe completion. Joe might be right tho.

Also, after rewatch, do you still think he was better in 1st half? I am not able to see subtle stuff as his footwork, so I am judging by bad and good plays mostly, and it seems pretty close to me.

In 1st half, he had high uncatchable throws to Diggs and Singletary, short INT-worthy throw to Diggs, one more throw touched by Miami defender and INT (although I don't think this was a bad throw, it was into tight window and it was just great play by Howard). On the other hand, he had two amazing throws to Sanders and Diggs on the second TD and couple of really smart throwaways.

In 2nd half, he missed open Sanders and Diggs, threw ugly back foot throw to Knox (which could've been intercepted if not for smart Knox play), late/slow throw to McKenzie almost intercepted and then deep throw to Diggs discussed above. On the other hand, he had two amazing throws to Diggs and Knox on the third TD.

Overall, his performance seemed pretty equal to me in both halves.

17 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

2 questions.

Do you agree with Joe's assessment of that deep throw to Diggs (41y catch 11:58 into 4th quarter)? He says it was purposely short and he trusted Diggs. I watched it couple of times and it still seems to me that longer throw would be safe completion. Joe might be right tho.

Also, after rewatch, do you still think he was better in 1st half? I am not able to see subtle stuff as his footwork, so I am judging by bad and good plays mostly, and it seems pretty close to me.

In 1st half, he had high uncatchable throws to Diggs and Singletary, short INT-worthy throw to Diggs, one more throw touched by Miami defender and INT (although I don't think this was a bad throw, it was into tight window and it was just great play by Howard). On the other hand, he had two amazing throws to Sanders and Diggs on the second TD and couple of really smart throwaways.

In 2nd half, he missed open Sanders and Diggs, threw ugly back foot throw to Knox (which could've been intercepted if not for smart Knox play), late/slow throw to McKenzie almost intercepted and then deep throw to Diggs discussed above. On the other hand, he had two amazing throws to Diggs and Knox on the third TD.

Overall, his performance seemed pretty equal to me in both halves.

I think he was better 2nd half not first half. His feet settled down a bit after half time. Interestingly Josh said in his presser that they "got back to some stuff we are more comfortable with" after half time and he definitely looked less frantic to me. Both feet and arm mechanics. 

I do think he underthrew Diggs slightly on the other completion. Did he feel comfortable throwing it and trusting Diggs? Yep. But I think he ideally but that in a spot where Diggs was putting up 6.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he was better 2nd half not first half. His feet settled down a bit after half time. Interestingly Josh said in his presser that they "got back to some stuff we are more comfortable with" after half time and he definitely looked less frantic to me. Both feet and arm mechanics. 

I do think he underthrew Diggs slightly on the other completion. Did he feel comfortable throwing it and trusting Diggs? Yep. But I think he ideally but that in a spot where Diggs was putting up 6.

Yeah I knew you said this I just wrote it incorrectly.

• Like (+1) 1

It stems from lack of preseason game reps to get readjusted to game speed and coverages, not playing Josh and all the starters in a portion of every single preseason game was a very poor decision that we are seeing the results of. Live reps is the cure, that and better O line work, and maybe a little tough love. 

Go Bills!!!

7 hours ago, Simon said:

He doesn't trust his protection and he's playing with one eye on the defensive front and is unwilling to step into his throws.

Agreed...and none of this is new.  He has always struggled even with well blocked routine throws in games where teams have been dropping 7 into coverage and getting home with a 4 man rush.  People are acting like this is something new since he signed his contract.  I dont mean it as an excuse since it's something he can improve on himself but in games where we're a little more stout up front I think you'll see the same offense as last year or a better one 

5 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Perhaps we were a a bit premature with all of the Jordan Palmer praise.

I dont think so...he has improved over last season in games where his oline can't block 4 guys...we just had two such games in a row to start the season rather than tucked somewhere in the middle so we're all panicking 🤣  seems like daboll at least adjusted the playcalling halfway through the dolphins game to compensate...the man is as stubborn as an ox

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1