Joe B / The Athletic A22 Breakdown

Heitz

I'll copy and paste some of the section on Allen:

Josh Allen’s struggles start with his feet
Before we dive into the Josh Allen breakdown, it’s important to note that the Bills didn’t need their quarterback to be superhuman against the Dolphins. The Bills were firmly ahead all day, which slightly alters the game’s scope. However, Allen is off to a slow start through two games, and it has quite a few fans wondering what’s going on with the franchise quarterback. As we discovered Tuesday, Allen has shown an early tendency not to throw to his right, and his intermediate accuracy (10 to 25 yards) has fallen off considerably from his MVP-level season in 2020. That’s why the advanced stats study needs to be followed up by film study to pinpoint his early-season difficulties.

The film showed Allen looking left by default, but there were exceptions. That seems to be a very fixable problem. Above all, it just seems like Allen is moving his feet and throwing the ball from an uneven platform too often. There are times when Allen has to keep moving because a pass blocker hasn’t contained his assignment, but there were too many occasions where it was unnecessary. The term that sprang to mind most often was “busy feet.” Without his feet set, Allen is falling off more throws, and he’s relying on his plus-arm strength way too often. It was an issue in 2019 and something he cleaned up in 2020 to a great degree. There were nine plays Sunday when Allen missed a receiver either because of questionable footwork or not releasing off his first read quickly enough. Here’s a look at those nine plays.

After breaking down those 9 plays, it concludes:

If even half of these throws are completions, we’re talking about a much better day for Allen. If he hits almost all of them, it’s a prolific day. But there were also a few occasions where Allen looked like his 2020 self. The 35-yard throw that he dropped into the bucket to Sanders was excellent, even if he was falling off slightly. Allen’s deep pass to Diggs thrown purposely short because of the hard-charging free safety was another high note. He trusted Diggs to adjust to the ball and come back and get it, and the play went for 41 yards.

However, the play when Allen looked most like himself from last year was the Bills’ first play of the half. He dropped into the pocket and it seemed like everything slowed down for him. He went through all of his reads to both sides of the field, manipulated the coverage with his eyes, kept his feet ready to move but was poised and calm. He then stepped into his throw and fired a 22-yard pass to Cole Beasley over the middle. That calm demeanor amid chaos was part of his growth last season. If the Bills can duplicate that play, Allen has every opportunity to get back on track.

The good news is all of these problems are fixable. Allen is just off his game right now. I'm confident he'll find it again.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The good news is all of these problems are fixable. Allen is just off his game right now. I'm confident he'll find it again.

This seems like a more convincing assessment to me than the Kubiak evaluation. Kubiak didn't even mention the late third-quarter near pick on the McKenzie throw.

Edited by dave mcbride

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agree with most of Joe's breakdown. The feet are the biggest part of Josh's issue right now. Not uncommon for QBs to develop that habit when their pass pro starts to struggle. As I said yesterday a couple of throws his delivery was a bit slingy too rather than the revamped throwing motion he was able to use in 2020. Just comes from being a bit frantic IMO. Josh needs to chill out, trust his line to hold their blocks and relax. He will be fine.

I'd be much more worried if the inaccuracy was coming on plays where his mechanics were fully functioning. That is when you worry about flukes and one off seasons. For now the case is when Josh's mechanics hold up he is on the money. When they get sketchy because of pressure (or perceived pressure that isn't there) the ball is getting away from him some. 

He really needs a hot start in a game to get him going and it will all click.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 6

You would think that Ken Dorsey sees what Joe B. (and most knowledgeable fans) see and would immediately fix that with Josh.  Or does Josh reach out to Jordan Palmer in season and say "hey Jordan, what do you think I'm doing that needs some adjustment?"  Would love to be a fly on the wall to see what's going on behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Allen's 62.3 PFF makes sense. 

Pressure doesn't explain all of the passing offense struggles. 

It might not be the key to fixing the offensive issues, but it certainly explains them.  The article specifically mentions two things:

1) Allen is demonstrating happy feet, and drifting to his left, while falling off throws.

2) The right tackle is the lowest graded player on the team.

#2 PERFECTLY explains #1.

Now, #2 isn't the key to fixing the issues.  You can't expect to have perfect protection on every play.  Josh has to settle down, and set and throw when he has the room to do so.

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with most of Joe's breakdown. The feet are the biggest part of Josh's issue right now. Not uncommon for QBs to develop that habit when their pass pro starts to struggle. As I said yesterday a couple of throws his delivery was a bit slingy too rather than the revamped throwing motion he was able to use in 2020. Just comes from being a bit frantic IMO. Josh needs to chill out, trust his line to hold their blocks and relax. He will be fine.

I'd be much more worried if the inaccuracy was coming on plays where his mechanics were fully functioning. That is when you worry about flukes and one off seasons. For now the case is when Josh's mechanics hold up he is on the money. When they get sketchy because of pressure (or perceived pressure that isn't there) the ball is getting away from him some. 

He really needs a hot start in a game to get him going and it will all click.

Yeah. This.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Certainly food for the ‘Josh gets too amped up and jittery in front of full stadiums’ crowd.  Good news is he should have confidence knowing he can play at an MVP level.  Now he’s gotta pretend there’s nobody in the crowd.  

I thought it was the pressure of signing that contract......

Could be a little of column A and B....

He's nervous that's for sure....

He's got to calm down and remember his techniques.

Get his feet right and the ball will follow.

And concentrate on what he's seeing....

Trust it and throw.

Thats what he did last year.

He did you t before, he'll do it again.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

This was a much more reasoned explanation and it looked like he was not set in his throws.  Joe did a nice breakdown.

He fixed this before from 19 to 20, and he’ll do it again.  Trying to tie to crowds doesn’t make sense to me.  He’s not a rookie.

Agree. As for crowds, the previous narrative was that Allen was too amped up in front of the home crowd. Now it’s  been shifted to be in front of fans in general. There may have been something to the home crowd issue , as the hero ball seemed to creep in. Still, it’s not an issue to play in front of fans. Just seems like falling back into a few bad mechanical things. Allen will get this corrected. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

It will be useful to track Allen's performance vs the strength of the opponent's pass rush. Pittsburgh obviously has a great D line, Miami doesn't, and Washington does.  Let's see how this unfolds on Sunday. 

If the Bills passing game struggles against teams with great pass rushers, they need to find other ways to win.  Daboll seems reluctant to switch up the Bill's offense, and who can blame him for not wanting to give up what could be its greatest strength, the passing game.  But when other teams take away the route progressions the Bills use, it's necessary to go to alternatives.  Something will be open and it's up to Allen and Daboll to find it. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Utah John said:

It will be useful to track Allen's performance vs the strength of the opponent's pass rush. Pittsburgh obviously has a great D line, Miami doesn't, and Washington does.  Let's see how this unfolds on Sunday. 

If the Bills passing game struggles against teams with great pass rushers, they need to find other ways to win.  Daboll seems reluctant to switch up the Bill's offense, and who can blame him for not wanting to give up what could be its greatest strength, the passing game.  But when other teams take away the route progressions the Bills use, it's necessary to go to alternatives.  Something will be open and it's up to Allen and Daboll to find it. 

UJ, they passed 50 times in week 1. They had a split of 35 to 30 pass to run in week 2.  I think that’s a change bud.

it’s more so of mechanics.  He fell back into old habits because defensive coordinators have shifted coverages to cover up his easy passes from last year.  Now we adjust from there.  I’m sure McD will ensure Daboll adapts.  Bad coaches coach stubborn like Wrex because they aren’t skilled enough to adapt.  Daboll will and Allen will come back to form.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't think he needs to correct his feet or "platform." I think that's the low-hanging fruit people go for.

Josh has trained the last 2 offseasons to improve his accuracy specifically when throwing off platform. It's all about the hips, not the feet.

And his struggles are mostly mental, IMO. Like Josh himself said, he needs to come off his first read quicker. Pittsburgh and Miami secondaries were able to hold his gaze a bit. It's not about having talent in the secondary, but just scheming it up right, like we saw in the breakdown of the Pitt defense.

Jack Del Rio is another decent coordinator, but I'm not sure he'll do the same things Pitt and Miami did. We'll see. If he simply tries to pressure Allen without adequately disguising the coverage, Allen will eat them up.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think he needs to correct his feet or "platform." I think that's the low-hanging fruit people go for.

Josh has trained the last 2 offseasons to improve his accuracy specifically when throwing off platform. It's all about the hips, not the feet.

I disagree. Because while Josh has made some terrific plays on the move and without being able to set his feet perfectly in his career - especially last year - they are generally out of the pocket plays. His footwork issues at the moment are in the pocket (and it isn't a coincidence that they are the plays leading to misses.  It isn't a big issue but he needs to tidy it up.

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. Because while Josh has made some terrific plays on the move and without being able to set his feet perfectly in his career - especially last year - they are generally out of the pocket plays. His footwork issues at the moment are in the pocket (and it isn't a coincidence that they are the plays leading to misses.  It isn't a big issue but he needs to tidy it up.

It's a product of the defensive coverage and the route concepts they're running. Josh isn't focused on tidying up his mechanics right now. He fixes the mental part and everything will be peaches and cream.

• Disagree 1