Cover 1 breaks down the Bills defense against Miami

HappyDays

Really good stuff. Thanks for posting. I like the detailed analysis of the concepts the bills used to free up defenders.  

Opponents are going to have to start figuring out how to slow down Rousseau, who has quickness and foot speed that is difficult to deal with.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Opponents are going to have to start figuring out how to slow down Rousseau, who has quickness and foot speed that is difficult to deal with.

The play where Rousseau drops into coverage is the most impressive of the bunch IMO. He's asked to do so much on that one play and he does it all perfectly. Bumps a pass catcher running past him, covers the shallow route, spies Brissett and perfectly mirrors his movement out of the pocket to meet him behind the line of scrimmage, then takes him down. The instincts and athleticism and length needed to pull all of that off in a matter of seconds is unreal. And he's doing all of this in his 2nd professional game. He's a prototype of the kind of DE you need to beat the modern mobile QB.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The play where Rousseau drops into coverage is the most impressive of the bunch IMO. He's asked to do so much on that one play and he does it all perfectly. Bumps a pass catcher running past him, covers the shallow route, spies Brissett and perfectly mirrors his movement out of the pocket to meet him behind the line of scrimmage, then takes him down. The instincts and athleticism and length needed to pull all of that off in a matter of seconds is unreal. And he's doing all of this in his 2nd professional game. He's a prototype of the kind of DE you need to beat the modern mobile QB.

I agree. I like how he stays on his feet and flows to wherever he needs to be to stay in the play.

You also can see how he fits perfectly into the style that McDermott wants to play. McDermott's defense is clearly a team defense, where when one guy does his job, he creates an opportunity for another guy. It's important for every guy to do his job and every guy to be athletic enough to take advantage of the opportunities presented.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Totally agree - said this in another thread - that play was just amazing.  The drop and bump on the receiver, the slide to the middle, most importantly the recognition of not only where the rush was, but where Brissett had to escape, and then the speed to come downhill at him and make the open field tackle before Brissett can get going.  Superb!

The ability he and AJ have with their hand placement and using that to get leverage is just next level.  When Rousseau pancakes the tackle right into Brissett by punching up on the arm and driving - it is like a faster version of Reggie White’s old hump move.

Can not wait to watch these guys continue to develop.  Match their speed and length with the stature and power of Basham and you will keep these guys of platform for years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

How does this great breakdown get 5 responses in 14 hours while the 20 JA sucks threads are getting pages.  Thanks for the post.  Really fun to watch the breakdown of how the D works. 

I agree.   I don't think Cover1 is perfect, but it's awfully good.  Week after week they take the time to show us what the Bills are doing to make the plays they make, not just saying "watch the same highlights you've already seen."  It's consistently really good stuff.  I don't know where these guys learned all this detail (and it does bother me a bit how they love to show off all their football jargon), but my eyes tell me that what they're talking about is correct.   

I learn a lot from this stuff, and I'm happy that it gets posted weekly.  

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.   I don't think Cover1 is perfect, but it's awfully good.  Week after week they take the time to show us what the Bills are doing to make the plays they make, not just saying "watch the same highlights you've already seen."  It's consistently really good stuff.  I don't know where these guys learned all this detail (and it does bother me a bit how they love to show off all their football jargon), but my eyes tell me that what they're talking about is correct.   

I learn a lot from this stuff, and I'm happy that it gets posted weekly.  

I think there's some scouting school out there, an online program, that teaches you all the lingo and how to break down plays, grade players, and all that. I'm definitely not saying this for sure, but I think their lead guy Eric took a course like that and made the most of it.

35 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Fantastic! Thank you, OP. 

So, how the Hell do we afford to keep Taron? We’ve nurtured this kid from his professional infancy and are now rewarded with a premier DB -just in time to lose him???

wonder if Beane finds a way to get a deal done, or if TJ is going to want too much.  Hope we can keep him, he’s a great fit here, but if not… next man up.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think there's some scouting school out there, an online program, that teaches you all the lingo and how to break down plays, grade players, and all that. I'm definitely not saying this for sure, but I think their lead guy Eric took a course like that and made the most of it.

Pretty sure he was a running back in college, dude definitely knows his football and I enjoy his breakdowns.

2 minutes ago, SECRET SQUIRREL said:

Pretty sure he was a running back in college, dude definitely knows his football and I enjoy his breakdowns.

Sure. But playing football doesn't teach you everything about scouting all the positions and analyzing plays like a coach. I'm pretty sure he referenced some course he took a while back.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Gotta admire who's that committed to the game.   It's impressive.   And it's a great service to us geek-wannabes - we get the benefit of his hard work. 

• Agree 1

Just throwing this out there.....to include the pre-season games (yes, I know), the Bills have given up 53 points in 5 games and 7 of those came from a blocked punt. They have 2 shutouts.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Fantastic! Thank you, OP. 

So, how the Hell do we afford to keep Taron? We’ve nurtured this kid from his professional infancy and are now rewarded with a premier DB -just in time to lose him???

The Hobbit Smile GIF

I see someone must've not understood why I used this gif. It's because Beane is a wizard.

Edited by Gambit
  • Eyeroll 1