Stop Going To The Airport

corta765

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, I Get It that you feel this way.  But how does it hurt YOU or anyone else who stays home, if other fans want to go?

Planespotting is done at airports.  Trainspotting is done at train stations or rail yards.  Planespotting is a Thing.  I think they're both silly things, but how does it hurt me if other people enjoy them?

My dad isn't a planespotter, but he could spend hours watching planes take off and land. Loved watching them, but deathly afraid to fly.

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

Ok we've hit a point where the airport thing has lost its uniqness and specialness. Fans were at the gate Sunday after they beat Miami and I am here to say ya'll gotta stop.

When they broke the drought, when they clinched the division, heck when they truly clinched the playoffs against PIT in 2019 I get going those days. Those were big important days which celebrations are worth. I myself would've went in 2020 had they beat Houston as winning your first playoff game in 20+ years also is one of those big moments.

But were at the point people are just going for the sake of going. Beating a team to get to 1-1 ruins the coolness that had been established prior. Some of you may say I am no fun, but to me things like greeting the team at the airport should be received for occasions that grant it. Truth be told now that the team has made progress I'd rather see this held back to winning the AFC title, then just a regular season win that really isn't special at all.

Thats funny Corta.  People seriously went to the airport to greet the team back after a week 2 win??  That's ridiculous.. Was the good humor man or Mr Softee truck there  selling ice cream treats too?!

Why weren't they watching the Kansas City-Baltimore game that nite anyways?  Great game!   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

My grandmother (God rest her soul) took me to the airport in 1990's to watch the planes take off.  It just so happens the Bills were arriving and a huge group of fans gathered to wish them well.  The crowds were so huge that my petite Gram Gram was trampled by three guys clamoring for a Jim Kelly autograph.  One of these bruisers wore a tattoo that said "Vinny Hart Ivy" (an obvious mistake by the guy that inked his arm, but unique nonetheless.)  As I watched my Gram Gram lay in a pool of Budweiser on the tile floor, she winked at me and said "Find that bastard".  Don't ever tell me what to do...my search continues.  He'll show up sooner or later and then it's curtains for Vinny.

Allow me to play Nancy Drew for a minute. What if that WASN’T a tattoo mistake?! What if “Hart” is a reference to Jim Hart, longtime Cardinals QB from 1966-1983? And what if “Vinny” is an homage to Vinny Testaverde, the first overall pick from the 1987 NFL draft who threw for over 46,000 career yards?? “Ivy” is a bit tricky, but perhaps that is a reference to Sid Luckman, a COLUMBIA grad and Hall of Famer who revolutionized pro football offenses as Chicago’s T-formation QB???

Maybe this boorish grandma-trampling fella who rushed to get Jim Kelly’s autograph isn’t named “Vinny,” after all. And maybe “Ivy” is not the love/lust of his early life. Perhaps he is just a random aficionado of good NFL QB play? If my hunch is correct, you may not want to restrict your searches to Bills Mafia gatherings around Josh Allen. “Vinny” could be found anywhere where a quality NFL QB roams.

Hope this helps, BringBackFergy! We can’t ever bring back Gram Gram (or Fergy), but wouldn’t it be lovely if you can bring back the battered corpse of Vinny (and those of the other two hooligans who were with him) so that we can drag their defiled carcasses alongside the February 2022 Bills Super Bowl parade into Niagara Square? I bet you that is what Gram Gram would have wanted.

R.I.P., dearest Gram Gram. You deserved a far better Cheektowaga airport experience than what life gave you.

EDIT: Yay! I did some more sleuthing. Hart finished #3 in career passing yards at the point of his retirement, Testaverde finished #6, Luckman finished #2, and Kelly finished #10. Hmmm…notice a pattern? I suspect that “Vinny” and his two autograph-seeking henchmen will turn up this season at a Bucs game (Brady), Steelers game (Big Ben), Packers game (Rodgers), Falcons game (Ryan), Rams game (Stafford), Seahawks game (Wilson), Chiefs game (Mahomes), and/or a Bills game (Allen). Go get ‘em, BringBackFergy!!! You find “Vinny” + crew and you finish the job.

Edited by ComradeKayAdams
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, teef said:

some people have more time on their hands than others.

I was thinking the same.  Don’t these guys have to work Monday morning? Seems silly for a regular game, but if people want to do it, I could care less.  The significance when we win the East, AFCCG, SB, or maybe even the Chiefs.

4 hours ago, chris heff said:

I keep coming back to this, it is genius. I copied it and texted it to my family, because it’s all about family. I’d like to make one suggestion, I think you need to change the beer. Does anyone in Buffalo drink Budweiser? You could change it to the obvious, Labatt Blue, but I’m not sure it was that popular in the early 1990s, could be an anachronism. You could go with Genny Cream Ale, or something no one drank, but brewed by Utica Club the ever obscure Matt Malt Liquor.

Good eye for detail chris. btw labatt 50 in the short bottles was a thing pre nineties. would give the story a more local feel

This really has turned out to become an insightful and sincerely pleasant read

Thanks Corta for carrying the wood here

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.