New arena in Tempe - Bills should follow this model

CountDorkula

Interesting development out of Tempe Arizona.

A team with a terrible following has garnered private investors to help fund a mega site.

The Bills should absolutely follow this model.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/coyotes-put-in-1-7-billion-proposal-to-build-arena-in-tempe

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — The Arizona Coyotes have proposed a $1.7 billion development in Tempe that will include a hockey arena.

Renderings released Monday by the Coyotes include proposed restaurants, shops and apartments on a 46-acre tract of land near downtown.

The team said the arena would be funded by private investors, but would seek city sales tax revenues to help pay for $200 million in additional costs, including infrastructure work.

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Interesting development out of Tempe Arizona.

A team with a terrible following has garnered private investors to help fund a mega site.

The Bills should absolutely follow this model.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/coyotes-put-in-1-7-billion-proposal-to-build-arena-in-tempe

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — The Arizona Coyotes have proposed a $1.7 billion development in Tempe that will include a hockey arena.

Renderings released Monday by the Coyotes include proposed restaurants, shops and apartments on a 46-acre tract of land near downtown.

The team said the arena would be funded by private investors, but would seek city sales tax revenues to help pay for $200 million in additional costs, including infrastructure work.

I don't get it.  Everything I've seen points to the Coyotes moving.

Three things:

1. Buffalo and Tempe are very different places. Can Buffalo support additional downtown shops, restaurants, and apartments? Is the infrastructure there to handle the extra traffic?

2. The Bills don't have a terrible following.

3. The proposed plan for a new stadium cites Orchard Park, not downtown.

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Three things:

1. Buffalo and Tempe are very different places. Can Buffalo support additional downtown shops, restaurants, and apartments? Is the infrastructure there to handle the extra traffic?

2. The Bills don't have a terrible following.

3. The proposed plan for a new stadium cites Orchard Park, not downtown.

I

The Tempe plan has a 200 million plan to update infrastructure.

Building A complex like this downtown would be huge to buffalo, especially near the water front/downtown.

I absolutely think Buffalo could handle this. 

Its why i pointed out the Coyotes have a terrible following and were able to find private investors to fund most of this project.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

While the Pegula's tenure hasnt been exactly 5-star, I dont think they should look to one of the few ownership groups who might be even worse as a guiding light on how to manage a multi-Billion-dollar investment.

Huh?  

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

I

The Tempe plan has a 200 million plan to update infrastructure.

Building A complex like this downtown would be huge to buffalo, especially near the water front/downtown.

I absolutely think Buffalo could handle this. 

Its why i pointed out the Coyotes have a terrible following and were able to find private investors to fund most of this project.

Based on what?

• 2 weeks later...

There's no way a group of private investors would support this type of development out in the middle of a giant parking lot in Orchard Park.

Why?  Because that's a horrible idea.

Something like this would have to be part of a bigger picture downtown.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.