How I would fix the passing game. [LAMP]

31 minutes ago, Frostbite said:

Run the ball. Make them commit extra guys in the box. It'll open things up. 

Yep. Occam's Razor.

The simplest answer is usually correct.

Come out and run the ball aggressively. Let the OL take it to the DL for a little bit, get them on their heals, make them run sideline to sideline, then go to play action passes.

Really isn't that complicated or difficult. And we already saw the immediate benefit that comes with a merely half-assed threat of a running game against Miami as compared to Pittsburgh.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep. Occam's Razor.

The simplest answer is usually correct.

Come out and run the ball aggressively. Let the OL take it to the DL for a little bit, get them on their heals, make them run sideline to sideline, then go to play action passes.

Really isn't that complicated or difficult. And we already saw the immediate benefit that comes with a merely half-assed threat of a running game against Miami as compared to Pittsburgh.

Yep - take the shots in PA.  If you're spreading them out, the ball should be out quick.  

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Is that all one sentence?

I am a big no huddle fan, but I think we are getting enough mismatches already. They just need to get their timing and chemistry down.  I do think we mix in no huddle from time to time, when we catch teams with the wrong personnel on the field.  

It's a no huddle sentence. No time for punctuation.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Get the quick passing game going early and  often.

Get Allen on the move with bootlegs and rollouts.

Emulate how the Chiefs get a ton of YAC on short passes. 

I will add to this that Allen seems to get in a groove when guys are making plays with the ball in their hand, not just completing catches. So I think it is less about completions, and more about guys making plays. It feels like in the past completing 6 curl routes in a row with a total of 10 YAC between all of them, doesn't get Allen going. Hitting guys on the move does. 

Totally agree on getting Allen going with his legs. Sometimes it feels like him getting tackled after a big game gets him locked in. 

28 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yep - If they wanna play 2 safeties high you need to hammer them on the ground.  The other thing is - if they're in zones like cover 2/3/4, there's like always someone open for a short gain.  Screens, plays to the flats, get blockers out in front and just make them play closer to the LOS.

This week were playing ron rivera, so allen should have some familiarity with the defense they play.  Attack the middle of the field with knox, sanders, bease, and attack the boundary with short stuff to singletary.  

Screens apparently take a highly functioning, skilled oline. We're not there yet. (Wish we were.) Rodgers ran the ball last night a bunch against the 2 safety high thing.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yep - take the shots in PA.  If you're spreading them out, the ball should be out quick.  

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I will add to this that Allen seems to get in a groove when guys are making plays with the ball in their hand, not just completing catches. So I think it is less about completions, and more about guys making plays. It feels like in the past completing 6 curl routes in a row with a total of 10 YAC between all of them, doesn't get Allen going. Hitting guys on the move does. 

Totally agree on getting Allen going with his legs. Sometimes it feels like him getting tackled after a big game gets him locked in. 

I'd also run Allen a couple times early as well. Let him take a couple of manageable hits to calm him down and get him settled into the game.

I know folks hate this idea, but it seems to have more upside than risk as long as he can just take what they give him and then get down or out of bounds.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I would have it where the Bill's start doing what Dan Henning use to do I would run no huddle but work the play clock and have the Bill's wide receivers motion all over the place where you would get Diggs Beasley and Sanders on mismatches forcing defenses to guess who is lining up where Kansas City does it all the time with Hill. Why can't the Bills.

Myself, before trying to fix something, I think it's useful to decide what the problems actually are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 keys for this week that I haven't seen mentioned much

1. Especially at home, mix up the snap count.  Don't give the defense a head start by using a predictable snap / count.

2. Josh needs to do a better job using his eyes to look off defenders.  He was doing a great job of it last year, but this year his eyes are frequently giving away where he wants to go with the ball all game long.

59 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Screens apparently take a highly functioning, skilled oline. We're not there yet. (Wish we were.) Rodgers ran the ball last night a bunch against the 2 safety high thing.

Honestly screens are more for blitzes, i mean more sideline cutback stuff that we try to occaisionally run against bail coverage to bease.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I would have it where the Bill's start doing what Dan Henning use to do I would run no huddle but work the play clock and have the Bill's wide receivers motion all over the place where you would get Diggs Beasley and Sanders on mismatches forcing defenses to guess who is lining up where Kansas City does it all the time with Hill. Why can't the Bills.

Excellent.  I will pass this on to Daboll. 

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think its just Josh is having confidence issues and when it comes back, you’ll see 2020 Josh again.

I think if josh knows his defense is legit and can go out there and shut opposing offenses down.  And  he knows that he can play conservative I think josh will be back on track.  But if he is seating on the bench watching opposing offenses hold the ball for long periods of time and score than Josh will be forced to be out of his comfort zone.

• Chandler#81 changed the title to How I would fix the passing game. [LAMP]
5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think its just Josh is having confidence issues and when it comes back, you’ll see 2020 Josh again.

I think 2020 josh looked much worse against a tough 4 man rush and the rest of the d in coverage and were already seeing a better josh than last year...people just don't realize it because they only care about stats and a qb is never allowed to miss an open receiver even though that consistently happens league wide especially early in the season lol the amount of teams that can pull that off personnel wise are slim and we just happened to face two of them in a row

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Get the quick passing game going early and  often.

Get Allen on the move with bootlegs and rollouts.

Emulate how the Chiefs get a ton of YAC on short passes. 

Yeah basically what they did with the starting o in the preseason 

Dink dunk drive and make those ends bust their tail to come up empty 

I'll state what I stated months ago.

Last year's Bills lived off the scramble drill.

Josh would leave the pocked left or right, the receivers would break of their routes and Josh would hit them with significant separation.

This year, he is trying to get it to them in their normal routes.

Not his strength, and not theirs.

Run the scramble drill and watch what happens.

9 hours ago, Frostbite said:

Run the ball. Make them commit extra guys in the box. It'll open things up. 

This right here^^^

it doesn’t have to be every game, it can be for half a quarter or one or two quarters of a game, relevant to the opponents pass defense success, it’s not rocket science, and our guys are plenty smart enough to switch back and forth between run and pass pro blocking, it just takes the will to do it, cough cough Brian Dabol…, 

Go Bills!!!