"If Allen Plays Like Crap This Week, Accept that He's Simply Not Good

FilthyBeast
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to hypothesize that 2 or 3 games outweigh a full season as a sample set, Congratulations!  You have won your very own thread using the "magic" of the moderator "Split" function

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to discuss the upcoming game, let's try to keep the Week 3 WFT thread at least loosely on topic

Enjoy!

10 minutes ago, Golden said:

I appreciate your freedom, & I just to set the record straight, I did pay them more prior to their now increased performance level.  I paid them gladly significantly more than the market dictated.  Much more to say if you showed more common respect. I would enjoy the convo. 

Hi pot....I'm kettle.

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So instead of watching the game to form your own opinion you took your analysis from what someone else said on the radio, who are also not known for their astute analysis.  Got it.  I watched the full game twice, and your post above is not in tune with the reality of what I saw during the game.  

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

Going to leave this here.  

He has time, he's just not connecting. 

I hope this gets corrected soon! 

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

I would say that proves the exact opposite of what youre saying....hes not far ahead of everyone else in average time to throw and hes probably the least blitzed qb in the league.  Theres two deep safeties and 7 guys in coverage all game long.  Not to mention hes mobile so hes taking time to avoid rushers and trying to find a receiver...just because the TT shows whatever doesnt mean he had a clean pocket that long

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen heard about this thread and wanted to pass along a few messages:

“The job of the quarterback is to put your team in a position to score points and do whatever it takes to win games. That’s what we did last week. I don’t really care what anybody thinks, I care about what the guys in this locker room think. There’s no secret that I didn’t play great last week, I didn’t play great the week before but it’s something I’m working on. I’ve just got to push through it and find ways to be better.”

“I demand so much of myself. I want to execute at such a high level and when things aren’t going right I get so frustrated with myself. I’ve got to find a way to keep going, stay light for the guys and be the best leader for this team that I can be.”

“It’s tough. I just want it so bad. It’s hard to tone down that aspect. When it’s something I expect out of myself and something I can do – and do regularly in practice and have shown it – then a couple of times in the game where I miss and maybe I let it affect me too much. The best quarterbacks are the ones who can take the previous play and move on to the next. Guys make mistakes, guys miss throws, it’s how we bounce back from it that makes us who we are.”

• Eyeroll 1

Greg Cosell on Allen 9/23 at 1:00 PM from The Herd:

"Inconsistent ball placement"

"Missed too many throws that were there, some were routing layups"

"Throwing too hard"

"Throw on deep throw too flat"

"No trajectory to those throws, no margin for error"

"Last year this was not an issue"

"Tape shows struggling with accuracy and missing too many throws"

He's only been at NFL Films for 40 years.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Greg Cosell on Allen 9/23 at 1:00 PM from The Herd:

"Inconsistent ball placement"

"Missed too many throws that were there, some were routing layups"

"Throwing too hard"

"Throw on deep throw too flat"

"No trajectory to those throws, no margin for error"

"Last year this was not an issue"

"Tape shows struggling with accuracy and missing too many throws"

He's only been at NFL Films for 40 years.

I mean, that's stuff we all saw the 1st 2 weeks.

I think the main debate on this thread is sample size.  

1 hour ago, Success said:

I mean, that's stuff we all saw the 1st 2 weeks.

I think the main debate on this thread is sample size.  

No disrespect to Mr Cosell but we did see all those things at numerous times throughout last season in a lot of the same situations we've been in these first two weeks.  If he's getting consistently pressured with 4 he gets those happy feet and never really sets when he throws.  So yea I think you're on to something with sample size

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

No disrespect to Mr Cosell but we did see all those things at numerous times throughout last season in a lot of the same situations we've been in these first two weeks.  If he's getting consistently pressured with 4 he gets those happy feet and never really sets when he throws.  So yea I think you're on to something with sample size

So nothing to see here, he’ll get to upper echelon QB again?

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He completed less than 60% of his passes in 2 games the entire season. He has done that twice already this year.

QB rating under 80 in 5 games, already twice this year.

His Y/A numbers this year are worse than all but 1 game last year.

His 9 & 7 bad throws would be two of his worst of last seasons.

Josh has admitted he is not playing up to his standards. Fans are allowed to admit this too. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ngbills said:

He completed less than 60% of his passes in 2 games the entire season. He has done that twice already this year.

QB rating under 80 in 5 games, already twice this year.

His Y/A numbers this year are worse than all but 1 game last year.

His 9 & 7 bad throws would be two of his worst of last seasons.

Josh has admitted he is not playing up to his standards. Fans are allowed to admit this too. 

Josh will never, ever, say he is playing up to his standards.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I would say that proves the exact opposite of what youre saying....hes not far ahead of everyone else in average time to throw and hes probably the least blitzed qb in the league.  Theres two deep safeties and 7 guys in coverage all game long.  Not to mention hes mobile so hes taking time to avoid rushers and trying to find a receiver...just because the TT shows whatever doesnt mean he had a clean pocket that long

He's had plenty of clean pockets. He's had time to throw.  He's simply not hitting targets. 

Every metric in the world is backing up the fact he hasn't looked good. 

I hope it changes, especially because we are now invested in him for big money. 

But let's not pretend he's doing fine, he's not, and it's OK to admit it. 

I really don't want to go back on a quarterback carousel so I pray he gets his ***** together and he doesn't revert to what he was the first two years. 

It was wonderful dominating teams last year and going to an AFC championship and I don't want to be in the basement anymore.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Getting pressured with four is a joke.  You should be the most calm being pressured by only four guys. 

He has the receivers, he has the mobility, he has time. He has an all star WR corps around him.  He simply needs to hit his target. 

Shitting on Cosell is foolish, he knows what he's looking at and has watched more film than half the people on this board combined. His assessment is correct and honest.

Edited by TwistofFate
  • Agree 1

On 9/20/2021 at 1:13 PM, FilthyBeast said:

Agree, if Allen plays like crap again this week there are no more excuses. It will be time to accept that he's simply not good and behind closed doors in Orchard Park there will be serious buyers remorse knowing that he had a fluke year during the weird fanless covid year.

Washington has a good dline and but has struggled mightily overall and is lucky to be 1-1 right now. And even if they were a top defense Allen played extremely well against many top 10 defenses last year and has to show that again given his contract. Really hope he can turn it around and come out firing.

Maybe the Bills should added another lignite weapon,  teams are just doubling up Diggs and forcing to find others.  The others are just not that good and Bills should have replaced Brown with someone better than an old goat like Sanders.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Maybe the Bills should added another lignite weapon,  teams are just doubling up Diggs and forcing to find others.  The others are just not that good and Bills should have replaced Brown with someone better than an old goat like Sanders.

Josh has hit Sanders a few times, right in the numbers.  I'm not too impressed so far.

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

That old goat was WIDE open and Allen missed him on what should have been a TD,

This is a shameful thread. A guy has a rough start to the season and it's time to run him out of town already. Yikes.

Until the game plan turns around, Allen won't. You don't go 5 wide against one of the best defenses in the league time and time again. You don't run gadget plays on 4th and short. Until the run game gets on track and we can consistently threaten teams with Josh's legs and Devin Singletary, we are going to struggle. Teams were so afraid of Josh's legs last year from film study, they just didn't expect him to pass the way he did. He was unbelievable off of play action and most of of our success was from 3 wide sets. We got away from all of that against the Steelers. Then against Miami Josh just never got into a rythmn. He made some great throws and some poor ones in each game. Did you guys really think we were going to go undefeated this year? This is what it looks like after you go to the AFC Championship. No one is over looking you, they are looking to beat you.

My honest opinion of what's going on is that Josh didn't play all preseason and I think that was a mistake. These guys should've prepped like starters every week and at least went in for a drive or two each game. Things are just of sync and we'll be back on track by mid season.

20 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Thats because he is creating time.  Average time to throw is not calculate by time to pressure.  Its only calculated from the time of the snap until the time the QB releases the ball.  If they run around behind the line of scrimmage, buying time like Allen does, then the QB will typically have a higher avg time to throw. The stat is garbage because it indicates nothing really but how long the QB holds the ball for.

Edited by Scott7975