MNF--- Lions @ Packers

T&C

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Peyton just said something I never thought of. 

“when they’re in zone you can’t hold the ball very long”

Josh haha traditionally held onto the ball a long time compared to the rest of the league AND struggled against zone coverage. 

True. One of the things I used to be worried about with Josh was that no matter the pressure or what the defense was showing, he was rarely ready to get rid of the ball after his drop back.

He got way better last year, but thrive the first 2 games this year he's struggling again. I just want to see him be able to get rid of it faster or just be ready to get rid of it quickly if need be.

That and hitting the quick screens in the flats a bit better. They either take too long, or they're thrown to where the receiver needs to turn around/leave their feet to catch it, taking up valuable time. 

I think he'll be OK, but improving this 2 things will help a ton

5 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

True. One of the things I used to be worried about with Josh was that no matter the pressure or what the defense was showing, he was rarely ready to get rid of the ball after his drop back.

He got way better last year, but thrive the first 2 games this year he's struggling again. I just want to see him be able to get rid of it faster or just be ready to get rid of it quickly if need be.

That and hitting the quick screens in the flats a bit better. They either take too long, or they're thrown to where the receiver needs to turn around/leave their feet to catch it, taking up valuable time. 

I think he'll be OK, but improving this 2 things will help a ton

I agree with all of this, another poster here more well versed in OL play than me, mentioned that our guards are not terribly mobile, so getting those guys out into space to set up quality screens is tough. I have just been like some old man yelling at clouds that our screen game blows. Ha!

Anyways, that made a lot of sense to me, and I am tempted to put the screen game on the guards rather than the QB or WR. We have enough shifty and quick twitch WR's to make plays. 

22 minutes ago, Mango said:

Peyton just said something I never thought of. 

“when they’re in zone you can’t hold the ball very long”

Josh haha traditionally held onto the ball a long time compared to the rest of the league AND struggled against zone coverage. 

what’s weird is that 2 years ago, josh was much better against zone than man. 

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

He just basically said it's some type of adult beverage... Lol 

Really hoping Favre gets fired up and the two of them just start talking football. 

They could literally just film this in Peytons living room with and have guys walk in and out. When Peyton gets fed up with you, he tells you to GTFO and the next guy comes in. A survivor series if you will. 

I want Eli, just standing outside a bay window staring in silently for a full 3 hours. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

what’s weird is that 2 years ago, josh was much better against zone than man. 

2019 was the fastest release of his career. I don't think that release time equals quality of play by any means. Josh will always be on the high side, kind of like guys Wilson. But I think he may need to do a better job of having it in his arsenal. 

2018 - 3.22

2019- 2.85

2020- 3.05

You can absolutely tell that Peyton is constantly telling Eli what a POS he is when they get together. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Mango said:

I agree with all of this, another poster here more well versed in OL play than me, mentioned that our guards are not terribly mobile, so getting those guys out into space to set up quality screens is tough. I have just been like some old man yelling at clouds that our screen game blows. Ha!

Anyways, that made a lot of sense to me, and I am tempted to put the screen game on the guards rather than the QB or WR. We have enough shifty and quick twitch WR's to make plays. 

Bubble Screens.  Knox splits out wide enough to sell it.  Both Davis and Kumerow are kickin' blockers for a wideout.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bubble Screens.  Knox splits out wide enough to sell it.  Both Davis and Kumerow are kickin' blockers for a wideout.

If we are lining up Knox, Kumerow, and Davis, with some combination of Beasley, Sanders, and Diggs on the sideline, I think you’ve pretty much played your hand. 

I mean, I guess they could. But as soon as the DC sees the sub and the package, there is no way we are getting cover 2 like we are seeing in this game. 

Part of a successful screen game is being able to run it out of a lot of different packages. Having to put out the back half of our WR depth chart doesn’t quite do that regularly. Which I think was sort of the point the OP was getting at regarding our guards and the screen game.