My analysis of Tremaine Edmunds play in Squeelers game

Freddie's Dead

Just goes to show most of the noisiest fans have been wrong in their constant complaining about TE skills and value to the team,  good on the OP to do the leg work to challenge his own assumptions, we could all learn something from this…, nah, that’s way to much to ask…, 😁 that and it would ruin the dynamic of the board…, 😂

• Thank you (+1) 1

Freddie thanks for breaking down.  I’ve thought all along Edmunds is a sideline to sideline coverage LB. That’s what his coaches want out of him.  He doesn’t do well against Guards, but that’s not why they drafted him.  They want guys like Star and Oliver to take on that role.  He’s never going to be a Butkus guy.  The game is different now.  He’s not always out of position.  I’m not a huge fan thinking he should be going to the pro bowl every year, but obviously the players respect him, or he wouldn’t get voted in a couple of times.  He’s just a solid piece in our defensive scheme.

Its funny how many people complained Milano is JAG and after games like Miami, he’s raved that he’s all over the field and so on.  Milano is a difference maker on this team.  Edmunds and Milano compliment each other when both are healthy.  It made sense to me to keep him out of the game when he needed an IV at halftime for cramps and dehydration.  Once you’re excessively cramping, it’s hard for you’re body to come back.  For professional athletes, their hydration for playing that type of game starts a week in advance.  Eric Wood said that yesterday on the radio.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I came home from a two-week vacation to find the Squeelers game on my DVR.  Rather than deleting it outright, I decided to iso on Tremaine Edmunds to see how he played.  I'll just list the plays where he was directly involved and you can see him on screen.  I don't have the all-22, so this will not be an in-depth analysis of coverage unless I can see him on the screen.  Many say he's weak at the point of attack, doesn't shed blocks, etc.  I'll grade the play +1, 0, -1, and keep a running total.  Let's go to the tape:

Squeelers 1st possession

1st and 10, PIT 25, Najee Harris run, TE tackle, +2 yards (+1,+1)

2nd and 8, WR screen, TE knocked on his ass by 51 (-1,0)

1st and 10, 4 yard run, TE blocked 8 yards downfield by 53 (-1,-1)

2nd and 6, 2 yard run, TE blocked 4 yards downfield by 69 (0,-1)

Squeelers 2nd possession

3rd and 4, PIT 26, BR looks to WR in flat, TE slides over, BR pulls it down, strip sack but PIT recovers (+1,0) BR throws the ball if TE isn't there

Squeelers 3rd possession 

2nd and 4, PIT 19, 2 yard run, TE chases down the line and jumps on the pile after tackle made (0,0)

1st and 10, PIT 33, WR screen, TE blocked 10 yards downfield by 51 (-1,-1)

3rd and 5, PIT 38, TE covers PIT TE, BR throws to WR INC, forcing punt (+1,0)

Squeelers 4th possession

2nd and 10, PIT 6, 2 yard run, TE blocked by 65 at point of attack (0,0)

3rd and 12, PIT 4, BR pass tipped high and TE just misses the INT off his fingertips, forcing punt (+1,+1)  He was unfairly criticized for not coming up with the INT, but that would have been #LegendofDirtyKiko stuff.

Squeelers 5th possession

1st and 10, PIT 45, WR screen, TE jogs to the side of the field while JuJu breaks a few tackles for the 1st down (-1,0)  Really didn't like the looks of this one, TE not hustling.

1st and 10, BUF 45, TE blitzes on a stunt, Bills get good pressure on BR, who gets a gift from the ref that he was outside the tackle box when he was still inside it, so no IG (+1,+1)

2nd and 20, TE adjusts the D-line, PIT 0 yard run, TE blocked at point of attack by 69 (+1,+2)  Line adjustment helped Bills hold PIT to no gain

3rd and 20, TE lines up 10 yards deep, PIT pass to Harris just past LOS bobbled, but TE closed the distance and would have destroyed Harris on the catch (+1,+3)

Squeelers 6th possession, kneel down at the end of the half.

So at the half, TE is a +3 for plays he was involved in, some good, some bad, but overall good.  It looks to me like he's playing, not thinking, and that's always good.  On the negative side, he can be overpowered by bigger linemen.  Is he a stud?  No, he's not the next Butkus, Urlacher, or Kuechly.  But so far, he looks like a serviceable Mike.  Some have said maybe he should go outside.  I see indications that he might do well there.

Squeelers 7th possession

1st and 10, PIT 25, 8 yard run, TE blocked away from run lane by 65 (-1,+2) 

2nd and 1, 1 yard run, TE blocked at point of attack, shed to clean up on tackle (0,+2)

1st and 10, WR screen for 6, TE was blitzing (0,+2)

2nd and 5, BUF 7, PIT 1 yard run, TE shed a block at the 5 by 53, and made the tackle at the 6 (+1,+3) 

3rd and 4, TE covers TE and they both go to the ground, BR pass to Harris in flat INC, forcing FG (+1,+4)

Squeelers 8th possession

1st and 10, PIT 35, TE blitzes off the edge, BR throws and TREMAINE EDMUNDS, WITH THE REJECTION!! (in my best Marv Albert) I'd give this a +5, but I made the rules earlier (+1,+5)

3rd and inches, PIT 41, TE gets blocked 4 yards downfield by 53 (again), 1st down (-1,+4)

2nd and 10, PIT 47, TE loses 88 in zone, 24 yard completion in the seam (-1,+3)

1st and goal, BUF 4, TE stands up PIT OL and plugs the hole, -1 run (+1,+4)

Squeelers 9th possession

2nd and 12, PIT 46, TE chases Harris down the line, sheds a block from 81, and creams Harris after a 5 yard gain (+1,+5)

1st and 10, BUF 23 (after the bull#### PI call on Levi), Harris counter run for 18, TE chases down from behind and makes the tackle (0,+5) Harris was not in TE's hole, and he saved the TD with that tackle, hence the 0 and not the -1 you were expecting.  Cookie missed the tackle in the hole.

Squeelers 10th possession

1st and 10, PIT 30, Harris 3 yard run, TE blocked 7 yards downfield by 76 (0,+5)

Edmunds was not directly involved in any of the remaining plays.

My conclusions after the game:

1.  The play of Tremaine Edmunds was in no way responsible for this loss.  The only completion made his way was the TE seam pass.  A QB as good as BR would have exploited Edmunds if he was weak in coverage.  He made the tackles he was supposed to make, and when he didn't, others did.

2.  There were a number of line shifts and DB shifts that TE called throughout the game that appeared to work.  That's a soft skill that doesn't get enough credit around here.

3.  There were a couple plays that he was blocked downfield one-on-one.  These are the plays that the Edmunds haterz highlight, and to be honest, I was one of them.  I need to see more from him, but I feel better about #49 after taking the time to go over this tape.

Imho, TE came out vs. Pittsburgh looking tough. I thought he raised his normal game vs. Pittsburgh.

I hoped it was a start to a good year.

Vs. Miami I really can't say either way. I noticed he was out and wondered if he was benched. I found out after the game he was seriously dehydrated.

Thats my Tremaine Edmunds thoughts on the year.

On his career I  expected a real lot seeing as how we traded up for him and consider him a disappointment for his draft position. I respect how much he plays though, that he plays STs as well as every snap. I'm on the fence as far a new contract. I'm definitely against a big money deal. Perhaps if he gives us reasonable deal we won't have to replace him?

He is still very young and we have lots of holes coming up. I hope we continue to focus on the lines with our higher picks and I can't imagine us having to use another #1 pick to replace him (even for someone better). We have to draft linemen!

I see us going: DT, OC/G, TE/WR, CB, in the first four rounds next season. In that order.... I also hope we use all nine picks and make them count. We'll have a ton of open spots next year. I'm hoping to get younger next year saying good bye to STar, Jerry and Addison. That's over 30 mill in savings right there. I hope we use it to sign one impact defender. Maybe an impact DT that plays the run and pass equally. Then we still draft another DT or DE.... Use picks two and three on offense. A C/G then a WR/TE. Then go back to D ... maybe go CB, CB....with the next two picks....though I sure hope we can keep Taron and Levi. I like those players and I like the idea of players staying here their whole careers....

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Special K said:

I noticed Edmonds was the first of the defensive starters pulled from the game once the victory was well in hand.

Do you think he is nursing an injury we don't know about, or was the coaching staff sending him a message about the quality of his play??

Neither, he was said to have left the game the first time due to cramping and came out after halftime (presume he got IVs) but not sure he played.   He played 61% of the snaps.  I think they just wanted to get Tyrel Dodson some snaps and the game was 21-0 so why not?

• Like (+1) 1