My analysis of Tremaine Edmunds play in Squeelers game

Freddie's Dead

I came home from a two-week vacation to find the Squeelers game on my DVR.  Rather than deleting it outright, I decided to iso on Tremaine Edmunds to see how he played.  I'll just list the plays where he was directly involved and you can see him on screen.  I don't have the all-22, so this will not be an in-depth analysis of coverage unless I can see him on the screen.  Many say he's weak at the point of attack, doesn't shed blocks, etc.  I'll grade the play +1, 0, -1, and keep a running total.  Let's go to the tape:

Squeelers 1st possession

1st and 10, PIT 25, Najee Harris run, TE tackle, +2 yards (+1,+1)

2nd and 8, WR screen, TE knocked on his ass by 51 (-1,0)

1st and 10, 4 yard run, TE blocked 8 yards downfield by 53 (-1,-1)

2nd and 6, 2 yard run, TE blocked 4 yards downfield by 69 (0,-1)

Squeelers 2nd possession

3rd and 4, PIT 26, BR looks to WR in flat, TE slides over, BR pulls it down, strip sack but PIT recovers (+1,0) BR throws the ball if TE isn't there

Squeelers 3rd possession 

2nd and 4, PIT 19, 2 yard run, TE chases down the line and jumps on the pile after tackle made (0,0)

1st and 10, PIT 33, WR screen, TE blocked 10 yards downfield by 51 (-1,-1)

3rd and 5, PIT 38, TE covers PIT TE, BR throws to WR INC, forcing punt (+1,0)

Squeelers 4th possession

2nd and 10, PIT 6, 2 yard run, TE blocked by 65 at point of attack (0,0)

3rd and 12, PIT 4, BR pass tipped high and TE just misses the INT off his fingertips, forcing punt (+1,+1)  He was unfairly criticized for not coming up with the INT, but that would have been #LegendofDirtyKiko stuff.

Squeelers 5th possession

1st and 10, PIT 45, WR screen, TE jogs to the side of the field while JuJu breaks a few tackles for the 1st down (-1,0)  Really didn't like the looks of this one, TE not hustling.

1st and 10, BUF 45, TE blitzes on a stunt, Bills get good pressure on BR, who gets a gift from the ref that he was outside the tackle box when he was still inside it, so no IG (+1,+1)

2nd and 20, TE adjusts the D-line, PIT 0 yard run, TE blocked at point of attack by 69 (+1,+2)  Line adjustment helped Bills hold PIT to no gain

3rd and 20, TE lines up 10 yards deep, PIT pass to Harris just past LOS bobbled, but TE closed the distance and would have destroyed Harris on the catch (+1,+3)

Squeelers 6th possession, kneel down at the end of the half.

So at the half, TE is a +3 for plays he was involved in, some good, some bad, but overall good.  It looks to me like he's playing, not thinking, and that's always good.  On the negative side, he can be overpowered by bigger linemen.  Is he a stud?  No, he's not the next Butkus, Urlacher, or Kuechly.  But so far, he looks like a serviceable Mike.  Some have said maybe he should go outside.  I see indications that he might do well there.

Squeelers 7th possession

1st and 10, PIT 25, 8 yard run, TE blocked away from run lane by 65 (-1,+2) 

2nd and 1, 1 yard run, TE blocked at point of attack, shed to clean up on tackle (0,+2)

1st and 10, WR screen for 6, TE was blitzing (0,+2)

2nd and 5, BUF 7, PIT 1 yard run, TE shed a block at the 5 by 53, and made the tackle at the 6 (+1,+3) 

3rd and 4, TE covers TE and they both go to the ground, BR pass to Harris in flat INC, forcing FG (+1,+4)

Squeelers 8th possession

1st and 10, PIT 35, TE blitzes off the edge, BR throws and TREMAINE EDMUNDS, WITH THE REJECTION!! (in my best Marv Albert) I'd give this a +5, but I made the rules earlier (+1,+5)

3rd and inches, PIT 41, TE gets blocked 4 yards downfield by 53 (again), 1st down (-1,+4)

2nd and 10, PIT 47, TE loses 88 in zone, 24 yard completion in the seam (-1,+3)

1st and goal, BUF 4, TE stands up PIT OL and plugs the hole, -1 run (+1,+4)

Squeelers 9th possession

2nd and 12, PIT 46, TE chases Harris down the line, sheds a block from 81, and creams Harris after a 5 yard gain (+1,+5)

1st and 10, BUF 23 (after the bull#### PI call on Levi), Harris counter run for 18, TE chases down from behind and makes the tackle (0,+5) Harris was not in TE's hole, and he saved the TD with that tackle, hence the 0 and not the -1 you were expecting.  Cookie missed the tackle in the hole.

Squeelers 10th possession

1st and 10, PIT 30, Harris 3 yard run, TE blocked 7 yards downfield by 76 (0,+5)

Edmunds was not directly involved in any of the remaining plays.

My conclusions after the game:

1.  The play of Tremaine Edmunds was in no way responsible for this loss.  The only completion made his way was the TE seam pass.  A QB as good as BR would have exploited Edmunds if he was weak in coverage.  He made the tackles he was supposed to make, and when he didn't, others did.

2.  There were a number of line shifts and DB shifts that TE called throughout the game that appeared to work.  That's a soft skill that doesn't get enough credit around here.

3.  There were a couple plays that he was blocked downfield one-on-one.  These are the plays that the Edmunds haterz highlight, and to be honest, I was one of them.  I need to see more from him, but I feel better about #49 after taking the time to go over this tape.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

I noticed Edmonds was the first of the defensive starters pulled from the game once the victory was well in hand.

Do you think he is nursing an injury we don't know about, or was the coaching staff sending him a message about the quality of his play??

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Special K said:

I noticed Edmonds was the first of the defensive starters pulled from the game once the victory was well in hand.

Do you think he is nursing an injury we don't know about, or was the coaching staff sending him a message about the quality of his play??

They said he cramped up and took an IV at halftime to re-hydrate.  They kept him out of the 2nd half because they didn't need him.

Thank you for mentioned your #2 conclusion. Tremaine calls those shifts as the captain and centerpiece of the defense.  He is a smart player and on his own you don’t really see him out of position, rather outmuscled as you note in #3. 

As I said in the other Tremaine thread, he may not be a top 5 MLB but he is a good player. He came into the league very young and continues to grow and learn and now lead. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HurlyBurly51 said:

I don’t get the reference but am glad you “discovered” this song.  Not sure how you’ve gone through life without hearing it😀. If you like it I suggest further exploring the AC/DC catalog!

I know all the singles, need to dig into the catalog for the deeper cuts.  I took from your profile pic that you were a Dave Chappelle fan, and I was referencing his Lil Jon sketches.  Check them out if you don't know them.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Is this a variant Edmunds thread?  They are mutating!

Not sure what you mean.  Did I miss something?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I know all the singles, need to dig into the catalog for the deeper cuts.  I took from your profile pic that you were a Dave Chappelle fan, and I was referencing his Lil Jon sketches.  Check them out if you don't know them.

Got ya.  I will check them out!  Was just confused because the profile pic shows the Chappelle character Tyrone Biggums as a Bills fan😀

• Like (+1) 1