Texans: Dumbest Coaching Decision Ever?

22 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Hardly the dumbest coaching decision ever.  That goes to Gregg Williams & his staff on 11/16/03 when the Bills accepted a penalty late in the 4th quarter of a home game vs Houston with Houston ahead 12-8.  London Fletcher was wildly waiving his arms while on the field to decline the penalty which the Bills coaches accepted.  See, London knew the extra down would give Houston enough time to run the clock out-something Gregg wasn't aware of.  Houston ended the game by running out the clock when Andre Johnson took the ball and ran it out of his own endzone for a safety with 0:00 left on the clock.  Final score Houston 12 Bills 10. 

Yikes.  I suppose the only argument in Gregg's situation is that he had to do SOME mental calculations to make the right decision.  In Culley's case, it was ridiculously obvious.  

11 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

Yikes.  I suppose the only argument in Gregg's situation is that he had to do SOME mental calculations to make the right decision.  In Culley's case, it was ridiculously obvious.  

Actually Gregg's decision guaranteed a Houson victory.  Culley's decision to punt rather than go for 3rd & 10 guaranteed nothing since it was early in the 2nd quarter of a tied game.  

The biggest Dummy is Gregg Williams.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, jeremy2020 said:

*checks notes* 

2-0 

From a team that everyone believes is a bottom of the barrel roster..

Not a bad job so far..

You'll want to check those notes one more time...

To play devils advocate here. I found 3rd down conversion rates for 3rd and 9 or 10 to be 31.4%. I couldn’t dig up 4th and x distance rates since I am out of pocket. But in general 4th down conversions are about 48%. I’d imagine the last DSS get better as distance shortens. But I don’t have the exact numbers.

By those numbers Culley didn’t make an wild decisions by declining the penalty and taking his chances on 4 and 2. 

On 9/20/2021 at 3:21 PM, Doc Brown said:

Texans have been surprisingly decent out of the gate considering what was expected of them.  Having said that, yes it may be the dumbest coaching decision ever.

They're 1-1.

Lolll and they beat a team that looks like it's on pace to be absolutely atrocious 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

To play devils advocate here. I found 3rd down conversion rates for 3rd and 9 or 10 to be 31.4%. I couldn’t dig up 4th and x distance rates since I am out of pocket. But in general 4th down conversions are about 48%. I’d imagine the last DSS get better as distance shortens. But I don’t have the exact numbers.

By those numbers Culley didn’t make an wild decisions by declining the penalty and taking his chances on 4 and 2. 

Didn't he punt though? Nobody would've questioned going for it on 4th and 2 idk what yard line he punted from but it's likely he made the punt more difficult 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Lolll and they beat a team that looks like it's on pace to be absolutely atrocious 

Didn't he punt though? Nobody would've questioned going for it on 4th and 2 idk what yard line he punted from but it's likely he made the punt more difficult 

Right. I am an idiot and was typing a response, half reading the article, while also pretending to listen to my better half. 

Unsure if makes it any better, but at least I got something out of the article. I have zero idea what she said. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mango said:

That logic would be fine if he took his chances on 4th and 2.  

With the penalty there were 2 real choices:

1) Accept the penalty and replay at 3rd and 10 or

2) Decline the penalty and go for it at 4th and 2 near mid-field

He choose option 3:

3) Decline the penalty and punt from near mid-field   - then to add insult to stupidity- they punt into the end zone giving a net 30 yards.

The only time option 3 should even be an option is very, very deep in your own end - inside the 5 and the extra yards give you a safer punt.  Even then, I would rather see them accept the penalty and take a shot.

If the 13 yards had pushed them into FG range and the penalty kept you outside - you could decline and kick a game winning FG, but at the point of the game this occurred  - I would still prefer to see a coach trying to win than decline the penalty and kick a FG.

It was a total give up move by the coach.

Edited by Rochesterfan

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I mean, Buffalo just brought back Bobby Hart. Seems like every team is prone to boneheaded moments🤦‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I am just hear to drop my second Vlad Ducasse reference of the week.