Texans: Dumbest Coaching Decision Ever?

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Wow hard to think of a worst coaching decision than this.  Culley goes on to half arsed defend it, then finally concedes loss.

Can anyone come up with a worse decision in NFL History???

Hiring Culley and Bill O'Brien as head coaches for Houston Texans and those were back-to-back decisions.  First 2 coaches of Texans were decent.

41 minutes ago, boco357 said:

I cannot believe that they hired that guy over Leslie Frazier.

I can.

David Culley is a solid Christian which is paramount to the Texans owner and GM.

In Culley's defense I will give him credit for:

1) The players really like to play for him and Texans players and Staff now enjoy going to work(uinlike under Bill O Brien).

2) He did a great job versus the Jaguars and did  recruit coaching talent

Hardly the dumbest coaching decision ever.  That goes to Gregg Williams & his staff on 11/16/03 when the Bills accepted a penalty late in the 4th quarter of a home game vs Houston with Houston ahead 12-8.  London Fletcher was wildly waiving his arms while on the field to decline the penalty which the Bills coaches accepted.  See, London knew the extra down would give Houston enough time to run the clock out-something Gregg wasn't aware of.  Houston ended the game by running out the clock when Andre Johnson took the ball and ran it out of his own endzone for a safety with 0:00 left on the clock.  Final score Houston 12 Bills 10. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Wow hard to think of a worst coaching decision than this.  Culley goes on to half arsed defend it, then finally concedes loss.

A couple 4th doen spikes come to mind, but atleast those are players, and in a time crunch.  He had time to weigh it out.  Theres nobody in the booth to chime in and say HEYYYYYY WAITTTTTTTTT.  Someone should be fired today, even if its just a booth guy

Is it just me or is there no audio on the initial tweet?

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Hardly the dumbest coaching decision ever.  That goes to Gregg Williams & his staff on 11/16/03 when the Bills accepted a penalty late in the 4th quarter of a home game vs Houston with Houston ahead 12-8.  London Fletcher was wildly waiving his arms while on the field to decline the penalty which the Bills coaches accepted.  See, London knew the extra down would give Houston enough time to run the clock out-something Gregg wasn't aware of.  Houston ended the game by running out the clock when Andre Johnson took the ball and ran it out of his own endzone for a safety with 0:00 left on the clock.  Final score Houston 12 Bills 10. 

Whenever someone mentions Gregg Williams, I immediately think:

image.thumb.jpeg.f710417bb1f5d863a7007e1b46fbc51a.jpeg

2 hours ago, boco357 said:

I cannot believe that they hired that guy over Leslie Frazier.

Ya see, you’re assuming LF actually wanted the job after his interview…., there in lies the flaw in your assumption, 😁👍

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Was that the first time we ever played the Texans? I was a kid and vaguely remember that game but not the ending

13 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Was that the first time we ever played the Texans? I was a kid and vaguely remember that game but not the ending

2nd time.  We beat Houston 31-24 on 10/13/02. 

I still had my seasons in 2003 and was among the fans in the stands screaming decline as Gregg, or someone on his staff, accepted the penalty.  At the time I said the Bills should fire Gregg that day.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

It would be one thing if they were fairly deep on their side of the field and didn’t want to risk a sack or something but at mid-field, that is bizarre.

Similarly from a strategy position if they thought they were on the other side of the field like CLE 53 yd line I’d take the 4-2 and go for it.

ata different time it coukd bea strategy play if you want yo get the ball at end of game to win it.

19 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here is another dumb Gregg Williams when he was NY Jet DC.  They had a narrow lead at the end of the game and with only seconds remaining he decided to go cover zero and blitz the QB.  And with time running out the QB subsequently completed a long TD pass with no safety help.  I think Williams was fired a few days later.

• Agree 1

On 9/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

A couple 4th doen spikes come to mind, but atleast those are players, and in a time crunch.  He had time to weigh it out.  Theres nobody in the booth to chime in and say HEYYYYYY WAITTTTTTTTT.  Someone should be fired today, even if its just a booth guy

Did you forget who the HC was just before him?