Playing backup QB’s the next two weeks

Paul Costa

Interesting stat of the day:

"In three starts as an NFL quarterback (including postseason), Taylor Heinicke has completed 93 passes. That’s the most completions by any QB over their first three career starts in NFL history."

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Looks like we will be playing backup QB’s in weeks 3 and 4. It has to be an advantage? Both have played pretty well in relief. I worry about having a small sample size of tape on these guys may hurt our preparation 

They will be good confidence boosters, although I have tons of respect for Tyrod and what he can do. WFT’s backup QB seems to be a high-level backup QB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I worked at Old Dominion University when Heinicke was the Quarterback there. ODU had just made the jump to the FBS. He's undersized but gutsy—likable and easy to root for. He's smart and can makes some throws, but I think our defense will keep him confused and running for his life. I hope he does well this year—just not this week. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Looks like we will be playing backup QB’s in weeks 3 and 4. It has to be an advantage? Both have played pretty well in relief. I worry about having a small sample size of tape on these guys may hurt our preparation 

Heinicke looked pretty good against Tampa in last season's playoffs against Tampa, especially for a guy that was sitting in an Engineering classroom a couple weeks earlier and had to email his professors and ask to postpone his exams in order to Take The Gig.

Our fine contributors here will be noting that as of now, Heinicke has a better completion % and more yards than Allen

Up to us to change it.

The real advantage Washington has is that like Andy Reid, there are few areas of McDermott's defensive thinking and personal tendencies with which Ron Rivera is not deeply acquainted.  And I think going up against his former mentor/master, McD has a tendency to over-think things.

Another factor is that Washington's current BU QB, Kyle Allen, is Besties with Josh and probably knows how to get in his head, if anyone does.

Hopefully the Miami game will let us build some defensive momentum.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Heineke has been fairly impressive going back to the playoff game against the Bucs last year and he very well may be the guy in Washington the rest of the season even when Fitz is cleared to play again.

But overall there's not much from the next two opponents that scare me and since they are home games we need to come out and play well early.

32 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Also interesting is the Bills play consecutive home games in weeks 3 and 4 against opponents coming off a 10 day rest following a Thursday night home game. 

Does anyone know whether, statistically speaking, the 10 day rest following Thursday night play makes a difference?

these are legit backups the next 2 weeks.  Heinike threw what looked to be a game ending int against NYG, got the ball back, and led them on a game-winning drive.  Dude is tough, and throws the ball very well.  Washington's D-line and RB situation also scare me.  Their DL could be ALL OVER Josh. Another Steelers game offensively?  although the Giants generally abysmal O-line did provide time for Jones on a number of occasions.      Hopefully Daboll learned some things and how to neutralize it.  

Tyord, well, that guy was a starter in the league, and really, well, is the starter for Texas.  Texas has also looked more legit than anticipated through 2 weeks.  

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Heinicke looked pretty good against Tampa in last season's playoffs against Tampa, especially for a guy that was sitting in an Engineering classroom a couple weeks earlier and had to email his professors and ask to postpone his exams in order to Take The Gig.

Our fine contributors here will be noting that as of now, Heinicke has a better completion % and more yards than Allen

Up to us to change it.

The real advantage Washington has is that like Andy Reid, there are few areas of McDermott's defensive thinking and personal tendencies with which Ron Rivera is not deeply acquainted.  And I think going up against his former mentor/master, McD has a tendency to over-think things.

Another factor is that Washington's current BU QB, Kyle Allen, is Besties with Josh and probably knows how to get in his head, if anyone does.

Hopefully the Miami game will let us build some defensive momentum.

Then this is the week that a wise man would let Frazier call the ball more than normal. 

McD could be an asset on the offensive side this week helping Daboll tap into Riverboat Ron's defensive ideals. 

• Agree 1

It must be me. My first game in two years and its against Washington again, with a new starting QB again. Unfortunately this time it feels like it works out in their favor. Not having Fitz to play against means that the possibility of his rare 5 TD performance is eliminated, but it also means he wont have his usual poor decision in the 4th quarter to give the game away either. Hopefully, it will play out more like Haskins poor outing when we last played them in 2019. 

If Tyrod or his backup has the same "deft maneuverability" as Brissett, then Tre White is screwed. I've never seen a DB get juked out of his shoes so many times since they outlawed the DB juking machine in 1989. 

2 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

If you worry, then I worry, and Josh worries, and McD worries.  Before you know it, we will wash our worries away.