Perspective - would you rather have the Defense look terrible and Offense look great?

Rigotz

The defense looked incredible yesterday. No debate.

The offense did not look incredible yesterday. No debate.

For those who can't enjoy a 35-0 win and are caught up on the offense looking bad, keep this in mind:

The Bills brought back essentially all of the same Offensive players, same coordinators, and same QB that lit up the league last year.

Going into the season, the team had a few unknowns:

- Would Greg Rousseau be able to make an impact in his rookie year? (yes)

- Would AJ Epenesa be able to take a step forward? (yes)

- Would Star Lotulelei and Ed Oliver be able to have a come-back season? (so far, yes)

- Would the CB2 position be solid, rather than a liability? (so far, yes)

- Would the run game be able to be improved (so far, yes)

- Would the offensive line improve? (so far, no, but it's the exact same players as last year)

The passing game will get figured out. Lets just enjoy the win and progress in virtually all of the areas fans were worried about.

Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley, and Gabe Davis don't all of a sudden stink.

👍

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The defense looked incredible yesterday. No debate.

The offense did not look incredible yesterday. No debate.

For those who can't enjoy a 35-0 win and are caught up on the offense looking bad, keep this in mind:

The Bills brought back essentially all of the same Offensive players, same coordinators, and same QB that lit up the league last year.

Going into the season, the team had a few unknowns:

- Would Greg Rousseau be able to make an impact in his rookie year? (yes)

- Would AJ Epenesa be able to take a step forward? (yes)

- Would Star Lotulelei and Ed Oliver be able to have a come-back season? (so far, yes)

- Would the CB2 position be solid, rather than a liability? (so far, yes)

- Would the run game be able to be improved (so far, yes)

- Would the offensive line improve? (so far, no, but it's the exact same players as last year)

The passing game will get figured out. Lets just enjoy the win and progress in virtually all of the areas fans were worried about.

Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley, and Gabe Davis don't all of a sudden stink.

👍

So in other words another “RELAX” thread? 😂

• Like (+1) 1

What is the major problem with people being concerned about the offense? I don't understand it. This isn't someone being given a million dollars and then complaining about the fact that the case it came in isn't stylish enough.

The offense has struggled for 4 games in a row now and we're supposed to be a super bowl contender. If the offense doesn't get better we aren't likely to be a serious super bowl contender, not in a conference with KC. That is what people are worried about and it's a fair issue to raise

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ah, last year, we spent the whole season wondering why the defense wasn't playing like the 2019 defense. Now, we'll spend all of this year wondering why the offense isn't playing like the 2020 offense. It's a tough time to be a Bills fan. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

What is the major problem with people being concerned about the offense? I don't understand it. This isn't someone being given a million dollars and then complaining about the fact that the case it came in isn't stylish enough.

The offense has struggled for 4 games in a row now and we're supposed to be a super bowl contender. If the offense doesn't get better we aren't likely to be a serious super bowl contender, not in a conference with KC. That is what people are worried about and it's a fair issue to raise

It is funny. Your super bowl point is just how I feel. We are supposed to be a great team with super bowl hopes. But we are also supposed to be just happy with a win. Great teams do not think that way. I guarantee that McD and crew are not satisfied. Did anyone see Josh smiling after the game? Josh knows he needs to play better. He will be watching the film and looking for what he needs to correct. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This is kind of a stupid premise if I may say.

I would rather have both teams be lights out.

But yes, if i had to choose, I'd take dominating offense over a dominating defense.

The game is structured around that and favors that.

The team that wins the SB, yet again this year, will have a lights out offense.

Offense is key.   Happy to win every game 35 - 30.   The way to get to and win a SB in todays NFL.   

IMO, No one stopping anyone cold in today's NFL, barring QB getting knocked  out early in a game (which puts the backup in a bad way as they've had no reps with starters).   

Brady did some great things in the playoffs, but the reason Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl was their defense.  That said, I don't this Bills defense is as good as last year's Tampa defense was in the playoffs and the Bills offense will need to regain their form from last year for the team to be Super Bowl contenders.  It's still early in the season and the starters didn't get too many reps in the preseason, so let's hope they can work out the kinks.  Allen's accuracy has been off and he has been floating deep balls down the field that could be easily intercepted.  Even the deep ball catch by Diggs in the 4th quarter yesterday was underthrown and a fantastic catch.  Had that ball been in front of Diggs, he would have coasted in to the end zone.  He had beaten the CB.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

This is kind of a stupid premise if I may say.

I would rather have both teams be lights out.

But yes, if i had to choose, I'd take dominating offense over a dominating defense.

The game is structured around that and favors that.

The team that wins the SB, yet again this year, will have a lights out offense.

Tampa also had a lights-out defense, which was needed to styme the lights-out offense of KC.  You need both, IMO.  Of course the offense may be slightly more important, given that you can't "win" a 0-0 game, but at the same time, our D last year was a huge liability.  

This year, we need to be able to sustain drives against good defenses throughout the game.  The O looked better in the 2nd half, but that came could have looked very different if MIA does not choke the ball up so much in the 1st half.  

17 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Brady did some great things in the playoffs, but the reason Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl was their defense.  That said, I don't this Bills defense is as good as last year's Tampa defense was in the playoffs and the Bills offense will need to regain their form from last year for the team to be Super Bowl contenders.  It's still early in the season and the starters didn't get too many reps in the preseason, so let's hope they can work out the kinks.  Allen's accuracy has been off and he has been floating deep balls down the field that could be easily intercepted.  Even the deep ball catch by Diggs in the 4th quarter yesterday was underthrown and a fantastic catch.  Had that ball been in front of Diggs, he would have coasted in to the end zone.  He had beaten the CB.

this, 100%.  The OL and Allen need to be better, Allen in particular.  He overthrew TD's to Sanders against the Steelers, those are complete, we win.  And that Diggs pass you mentioned was an amazing catch, and he also threw another ball to Diggs that was just horrid and incomplete, and if he puts it in a better sport is a huge gain.  

It's like there is only so much good to be had in Buffalo. Our offense and defense rarely are good together. Years ago, it was our D shining. Last year, the offense.

Our D line and blitz packages yesterday abused Miami. Allen was way off. 

Yet, we blanked a division rival and scored 35 points.  

3 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

If we didn't just finish an entire season of Offensive dominance, these would be legitimate concerns. The overreaction to only winning 35-0 against a tough division opponent just because Josh didn't look great is insane. The "4 games" you reference were against:

Ravens: #1 ranked defense in 2020

Chiefs: #13 ranked defense in 2020

Steelers: Top 3 defense in 2021

Miami: Top 10 defense in 2021

Pat Mahomes almost got beaten in week 1 and got beaten in week 2.

Aaron Rodgers got embarrassed in week 1.

Teams lose sometimes and ... stick with me here ... good defenses don't make it easy to score.

The sky is not falling.

34 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

If we didn't just finish an entire season of Offensive dominance, these would be legitimate concerns. The overreaction to only winning 35-0 against a tough division opponent just because Josh didn't look great is insane. The "4 games" you reference were against:

Ravens: #1 ranked defense in 2020

Chiefs: #13 ranked defense in 2020

Steelers: Top 3 defense in 2021

Miami: Top 10 defense in 2021

Pat Mahomes almost got beaten in week 1 and got beaten in week 2.

Aaron Rodgers got embarrassed in week 1.

Teams lose sometimes and ... stick with me here ... good defenses don't make it easy to score.

The sky is not falling.

See, now you're going too far and putting bs into people's mouths. I never said the sky is falling. I said I was concerned about Josh and the offense. Saying you're worried about the strange noise your engine is making is not the same as saying it's a piece of ***** car and should be scrapped