Trubisky performing the final kneel-downs?

Not that it really matters, but I was surprised to see Trubisky carry out the (usually) trivial final kneel downs at the end of the game.

In considering pros and cons of having the (cold) backup QB handle this duty, I couldn't think of any pros (give Josh a rest?), but I can think of a con: A fumbled snap.

Wouldn't it be better for the already-warmed up starter, who has been taking handoffs from Morse all game, to handle the final duties?

• Eyeroll 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I would not think taking a few snaps for a QB with a winning record as a nfl pro would be any serious concern. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

Not that it really matters, but I was surprised to see Trubisky carry out the (usually) trivial final kneel downs at the end of the game.

In considering pros and cons of having the (cold) backup QB handle this duty, I couldn't think of any pros (give Josh a rest?), but I can think of a con: A fumbled snap.

Wouldn't it be better for the already-warmed up starter, who has been taking handoffs from Morse all game, to handle the final duties?

Wouldn't surprise me if that is a contract thingy.  Maybe he gets incentives if he is in a certain number of games.

• Like (+1) 4

I seem to be in the minority on this, but I thought Trubisky should have come in after the score was 28-0.

To your point, I agree - since they kept Josh in the game, he should have led the victory formation and taken the kneel-down snaps. Not because of the danger of a botched snap - at 35-0, who cares? - but because he earned it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

You are trying way too hard to find something to be concerned about.  I'm sure Mitch knows how to handle snaps just fine.

Unless I'm mistaken, kneels count as a rush for a loss, and they didn't want to knock down Josh's decent rush stats for the game.

*edit*

Josh averaged 7 yards per rush on 5 carries.  The 2 kneels at the end of the game losing a yard each would have brought down his average to 4.7 yards per rush.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

You are trying way too hard to find something to be concerned about.  I'm sure Mitch knows how to handle snaps just fine.

Unless I'm mistaken, kneels count as a rush for a loss, and they didn't want to knock down Josh's decent rush stats for the game.

Hadn't considered the stats implication. Good point, especially since the game was a guaranteed win at that point (35-0).

2 minutes ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

Hadn't considered the stats implication. Good point, especially since the game was a guaranteed win at that point (35-0).

Speaking of guaranteed win, I wanted to see Mitch in the game after we went up 4 TDs.  Maybe even 3 since our run game was working and would be able to drain the clock to minimize risk of a comeback.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I seem to be in the minority on this, but I thought Trubisky should have come in after the score was 28-0.

To your point, I agree - since they kept Josh in the game, he should have led the victory formation and taken the kneel-down snaps. Not because of the danger of a botched snap - at 35-0, who cares? - but because he earned it.

I agree with this, practice time for Trubisky is not a bad thing at all and keeping Allen fresh is an added bonus.

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

I also just realized that for some reason in other threads I (multiple times) said we scored 7 TDs, derp.  Clearly I meant 5 and was thinking of 7 points from each TD.

Just emphasizing I am often an idiot and should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Welcome to my club i keep on hand many grains of salt, as i unfortunately use them regularly 😁

25 minutes ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

If Mitch had fumbled the snap, I'm not sure any of the Dolphins' players would have bothered to pick it up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3