Williams needs to be benched

Unfortunately this is what happened in Carolina with Williams after his all pro season, he followed it up getting hurt and struggling with his play which is also why he was ultimately kicked back into guard.

I believe Beane protected himself against a similar scenario when we resigned him and can essentially get out after this season without a major cap hit. Plus we did draft two young tackles but bigger picture for 2021 is we are going to be in trouble if Williams isn't motivated and/or regresses significantly.

3 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

David Carr carved up a historically dominant defense yesterday. 

Missing some of their top players. Watt, Hayden, etc.  Not that I think they are historically dominant but they do have a pretty dominant front when not injured.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

This is a terrible hot take. Williams was one-on-one with TJ Watt much of the Steelers game. Yesterday we destroyed the Dolphins while the O-line starters played close to 100% of the snaps in sweltering heat with 100% humidity. Last season, Williams was the best RT we've had in ages-- maybe 20 years. And now you want to bench Williams for... Spencer Brown, I suppose? Ryan Bates? 

By the way... did you notice how Dawkins played against the Steelers? Or Mongo? Why give them a pass?

In my opinion, the O-line improved from week one, and will continue to improve as the season progresses, barring injury.

Williams looked bad yesterday. I think Ogbah just wore himself out running around Williams all game. And Ogbah isn't just a speed rusher, he just realized that he didn't even have to engage Williams to beat him yesterday. If you go back and watch, it's embarrassing.

But I do agree that he is still getting in shape, and should be fine as long as he returns to 2020 form. He was rock solid last year. 

Williams has a big game this week to focus on.  Let's see what he can do there.  If he still looks bad, I'll be really worried.  The Steelers have a great DL, Dolphins are good, and WFT also has a great DL.  You need your RT to be able to perform against a great DL.  The Giants OL did some decent play against WFT, lets see if Williams can step up.  If not, all options (bench for one game, perhaps he needs to watch what's happening, draft pick, FA, etc) are on the table.  

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ok, for who?  Ryan Bates.  Spencer Brown, a rookie who is being groomed for LT.  If you want to bench a guy, who is the upgrade replacement.  He’s not having a great start, but was excellent last year.

C’mon, Man! OP has no effin’ clue of ‘who’. You’re raining on his hissy fit. That’s just being mean!😠

I like your style!👍

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

C’mon, Man! OP has no effin’ clue of ‘who’. You’re raining on his hissy fit. That’s just being mean!😠

I like your style!👍

Great, or at least entertaining movie.

All kidding aside Chandman, this is my answer whenever I hear or read this stuff.  Ok, who?  Are you sure he’s better.  Have that answer when you state bench him.  I learned that in sales a hundred years go (exaggeration of course) when anyone complains about something in the company, I had great managers that would say, ok what is you’re solution you can control as the company won’t change.  Uhh.  Made a point on me that lasted for years.

If you state bench Williams, tell me the guy that will light it up better than him and you have no $ to buy a free agent.  Who’s on the roster?

Edited by machine gun kelly

4 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

Wow, what a classic case of early season over reaction.  It's been 2 games my friend, let's see how it goes before giving him the boot.  And as others have noted - who do you replace him with ???

I do not agree. Hold after hold, and a bunch of sacks. He's a liability. Get Spencer brown out there. He could not do much worse. Football is a meritocracy, how long you play is based on how well you play. Rookies start on teams all the time. You play bad, you get benched. We're not talking about rotating out our starting QB, we are talking about an under performing lineman. 

6 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I thought Spencer Brown would be the right tackle of the future because of him having that reggie white strength he would be more fitted to handle alot of those bigger defensive ends that many teams use on the right side of the lines.

That was my feeling too

5 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

I do not agree. Hold after hold, and a bunch of sacks. He's a liability. Get Spencer brown out there. He could not do much worse.

Sure, he could do much worse

5 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

Football is a meritocracy, how long you play is based on how well you play. Rookies start on teams all the time. You play bad, you get benched. We're not talking about rotating out our starting QB, we are talking about an under performing lineman. 

I think if the coaches felt Brown could outplay Williams right now at RT, he'd be out there.

It's not as though they're insisting on keeping Rousseau on the bench or giving him less snaps than Hughes.  He played well preseason, he dresses and earns more snaps.

6 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

I do not agree. Hold after hold, and a bunch of sacks. He's a liability. Get Spencer brown out there. He could not do much worse. Football is a meritocracy, how long you play is based on how well you play. Rookies start on teams all the time. You play bad, you get benched. We're not talking about rotating out our starting QB, we are talking about an under performing lineman. 

Fair enough.  Yes, rookies start all the time and it is definitely a league of what have you done for me lately...  But I'd still like to see if his performance thru TWO games  is the start of a trend or just 2 bad games.  Considering his body of work over ALL of last season I think buys him a little more rope.

We'll see if he hangs himself on it - or pulls up his play to what we got used to last year....

22 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

I have to ask where are you getting this?

He had 1 Holding penalty this year and a total of 1 Holding penalty all of last year.

In 2019 when he played in Carolina he had a total of 1 penalty all season (False Start)

I will admit he needs to work on his False Starts.  He had 2 in Miami.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ok, for who?  Ryan Bates.  Spencer Brown, a rookie who is being groomed for LT.  If you want to bench a guy, who is the upgrade replacement.  He’s not having a great start, but was excellent last year.

Is Mitchell Schwartz healthy yet?

16 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

But I'd still like to see if his performance thru TWO games  is the start of a trend or just 2 bad games.  Considering his body of work over ALL of last season I think buys him a little more rope.

Quinton Spain didn't get more than 2 games. 

Not sure I'd put Spain's time up against Williams.  Two different guys, and there are always factors we aren't always privy too - either business oriented or personal that go into those kind of switches.

Look if he sucks it up big time, then yeah maybe it'll be time to give someone else a shot.  I'm just not there yet.

I have been pretty open about not being thrilled with 2 project OTs in the last draft, but this topic makes me wonder if Mc Beane looked ahead a bit or saw something on tape with Williams.

Williams may be good enough to hold down the RT position this year, or maybe even half the year, and the plan is to kick Williams back inside to OG (another area of JAGs at best) and have Brown or Doyle take the RT position. Doyle underwhelmed but Brown was progressing. I wonder if this is the midterm thinking?

To be fair, Williams has had some tough draws the last 3-4 games. I thought he would recover some against Miami. Next week won't be any easier with Young and Sweat.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have to ask where are you getting this?

He had 1 Holding penalty this year and a total of 1 Holding penalty all of last year.

In 2019 when he played in Carolina he had a total of 1 penalty all season (False Start)

I will admit he needs to work on his False Starts.  He had 2 in Miami.

I'm combining penalties, he had false starts. 1 hold, 2 false starts, he gave up the TJ Watt sack fumble, and also given up on every other play before the whistle. I may not have all the stats but I watched the game.