Week 3: WFT at Bills

YoloinOhio

Terry McLaurin is the best receiver for WFT. Wondering if Tre is going to shadow him? Usually the Bills don't employ this strategy. However, outside of McLaurin the WFT doesn't have a lot of WR threats. I think it would be a good idea to have Tre shadow him. Any thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s time to get Allen moving again. Last year was great and maybe felt a little to good to be true at times. But teams figure things out about you over the long off-season. What made Josh special was his ability to run like a deer and then also hurt you down field. It would be like if Lamar Jackson could actually pass the ball efficiently outside the numbers. There is no formula for stopping a guy like that. We seem to have fallen into this drop back, pocket passing offense. We are purposely removing an element of Allen’s game. The one that made him the most special IMO. Josh isn’t going to be Drew Brees. Just in the same way you wouldn’t ask Peyton Manning to run the read option, don’t coach the specialness out of Allen. Let him play the game he’s consistently best at and sprinkle in elements of last year’s offense. I would much rather see a hybrid of 19/20. More of the look of the 2019 with the weapons and skill set of 2020. The best of both worlds. Less spread 5 WR throwing every down and more conventional looks, play action and balance. It may not look as good on the stat sheet all the time but that’s when this team is at its best IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think it’s time to get Allen moving again. Last year was great and maybe felt a little to good to be true at times. But teams figure things out about you over the long off-season. What made Josh special was his ability to run like a deer and then also hurt you down field. It would be like if Lamar Jackson could actually pass the ball efficiently outside the numbers. There is no formula for stopping a guy like that. We seem to have fallen into this drop back, pocket passing offense. We are purposely removing an element of Allen’s game. The one that made him the most special IMO. Josh isn’t going to be Drew Brees. Just in the same way you wouldn’t ask Peyton Manning to run the read option, don’t coach the specialness out of Allen. Let him play the game he’s consistently best at and sprinkle in elements of last year’s offense. I would much rather see a hybrid of 19/20. More of the look of the 2019 with the weapons and skill set of 2020. The best of both worlds. Less spread 5 WR throwing every down and more conventional looks, play action and balance. It may not look as good on the stat sheet all the time but that’s when this team is at its best IMO.

You make some good points. I'm not a huge fan of the no back 5 WR formation. I believe the Bills should present defenses with a threat of a run game, should do a little more RPOs to keep teams honest, and roll out Allen more. He can improvise which is a skill set of his. Lastly, a little less of Allen just running up the gut and between tackles. If Allen gets back to last years form it's hard not to let him sit back and rip the ball accurately to his talented receivers. Can't wait to see Allen get his swagger back. Hoping the Wash game will be the perfect storm.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Fun little side note Tony Corrente who I believe is handling our game  this week leads his peers with Two taunting penalties called through two weeks. Got to be smart out there. 

I’m pretty sure Levi’s penalty last week was used as a “teaching point” this week.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Terry McLaurin is the best receiver for WFT. Wondering if Tre is going to shadow him? Usually the Bills don't employ this strategy. However, outside of McLaurin the WFT doesn't have a lot of WR threats. I think it would be a good idea to have Tre shadow him. Any thoughts?

He’s done it in the past depending on the weekly game plan. I remember he did an in depth film session with Kurt Warner after the Dallas game in which he talked about drawing up Cooper for the duration of that game. If I remember correctly he basically shut him down. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good stuff. I will add that I think McLaurin has leveled up since this matchup. But I’m confident in our guy. He’s answered the bell whenever called upon to follow a wr. 

I’m interested to see how Milano/Edmunds handle the Gibson/Riddick and Thomas stuff underneath and down the middle. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

TIL that adult football players got PBJs on the ready for snacks at halftime. Here I’m thinking football players are all strategizing for the second half and it’s just a bunch of 200+lb dudes eating PBJs and drinking juice boxes. 

7 minutes ago, uninja said:

TIL that adult football players got PBJs on the ready for snacks at halftime. Here I’m thinking football players are all strategizing for the second half and it’s just a bunch of 200+lb dudes eating PBJs and drinking juice boxes. 

Eli made an interesting observation about halftime the other night. He said that it takes an eternity to walk across the field and into the locker rooms, and for the coaches in the booth to come down too. So, basically, at halftime, you go to the bathroom, eat some oranges, and talk to the coaches for less than 2 minutes, and then they tell you to get back out on the field.  

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, you're saying he's missed a game?

Wow, that's really shocking. I know no other players miss a game, so we should really be deeply concerned about this. Also critical and hateful. I personally am sharpening the tines of my pitchfork as I write.

I’m saying the same thing that I’ve been saying all along. That a 31 year old 1T that sat out a year is more likely to get hurt than others.  

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s also weird that the media and fans alike talk about him being able to play in the wind and bad conditions because of his strong arm when in all honestly the games he has played in this conditions he’s been bad…. The myth of Allen being some sort of good bad weather QB grows greater by the day. 

Well, given that we’re facing Washington, it’s worth mentioning that he played well in a quite windy game vs them in 2019. Average 18 mph winds with gusts higher than that, and a passer rating of 110.4 (70 percent completion rate). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201911030buf.htm

He also played well vs Denver in similar conditions. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201911240buf.htm

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, uninja said:

Not really the same thing, but when my son played college football, he ate 6-8 PBJs a day. Helped keep his weight, high protein and gives you energy.