Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

I for one think that McD/Beane should field an entire team of all-pros. Anything less is unacceptable. 

System guys who know the playbook and play well within the scheme? Pfft who needs it. 

I'm sure there are at least 15 other MLBs better than Edmunds sitting around on FA list eating cheetos. 

Sarcasm obviously 🙄. A great team doesn't have to have great players at all positions, and deep down the complainers know you can't upgrade Edmunds without using draft capital or a ton of cap space.

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Another poster did a nice breakdown of his game in their own thread. Idk if you've read it yet, but it's great.

To your question, I think he's exactly what they expect him to be. The leader of the defense and a pass defending LB. When they ask him to play at the line or run blitz, he does just fine.

I don't get too much into the contract stuff, but I don't think they're doing him dirty by paying him 12 mil on the 5 year option. I think they're focus was getting Josh's deal done and working out Edmunds' deal after.

I have a feeling Edmunds might want more money than he deserves because of his 2 pro bowl accolades. He is a good run blitzer, and could be a good pass rusher if given more opportunities.

4 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I have a feeling Edmunds might want more money than he deserves because of his 2 pro bowl accolades. He is a good run blitzer, and could be a good pass rusher if given more opportunities.

He's good when he blitzes, but I think they value his ability in pass defense more. Milano is good when he blitzes too, so it works. Those two puzzle pieces fit perfectly.

I hope he prioritizes just staying in Buffalo, even if it means less money, but you never know. He may be fine going elsewhere. Maybe he jumps at a chance to join one of his brothers on another team.

6 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I’d like to believe this myself, given his length and speed, but he’s not a physical player. I think if he were to blitz off the edge and a tight end got in his way, the tight end wins. I don’t say that to be snarky, I just can’t remember one play where Edmunds physically imposed his will on an opponent. Not a single one that made me say “wow, Tremaine!” His next contract with the Bills shouldn’t be worth more than Milano’s and if it is, I’d be upset if I were Milano.

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Another poster did a nice breakdown of his game in their own thread. Idk if you've read it yet, but it's great.

To your question, I think he's exactly what they expect him to be. The leader of the defense and a pass defending LB. When they ask him to play at the line or run blitz, he does just fine.

I don't get too much into the contract stuff, but I don't think they're doing him dirty by paying him 12 mil on the 5 year option. I think they're focus was getting Josh's deal done and working out Edmunds' deal after.

I did just see and read that post about TE you talked about.  Nice post.  Kind of a wash.  He seems like a great guy, good teammate ,and able to make D calls. The only plays that I don’t get is watching him not be able to disengage and see a lineman pushing him 10 yards downfield.  I guess I just expected more power from a guy with his size.  Obviously Sean knows what he wants more than I will ever know.  I do wonder tho if he could be a special edge rusher with his speed , size , flexibility and maybe be in a position more times to turn the game in the Bills favor than what he does dropping into coverages etc.  

4 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

I did just see and read that post about TE you talked about.  Nice post.  Kind of a wash.  He seems like a great guy, good teammate ,and able to make D calls. The only plays that I don’t get is watching him not be able to disengage and see a lineman pushing him 10 yards downfield.  I guess I just expected more power from a guy with his size.  Obviously Sean knows what he wants more than I will ever know.  I do wonder tho if he could be a special edge rusher with his speed , size , flexibility and maybe be in a position more times to turn the game in the Bills favor than what he does dropping into coverages etc.  

Does he have good flexibility though? I've never seen that described as part of his game and it may be exactly why he's not an OLB or DE. Plus, his height makes it even more difficult to get low against those oncoming blockers. On one of the Dolphins 3rd down plays, he was successful at simply holding his ground against the OLman, keeping his eye on the runner, and stopping the first down. That's the type of thing we should expect from him, but people see it and say "he's being owned by the OLman" and it's just an overreaction.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Meanwhile, McDermott gives him the game ball.

22 hours ago, Simon said:

He gave the Defense the game ball; he just presented it to Edmunds as captain.

22 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Poyer or Hyde could've been given it, then

6 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

But your original point was Edmunds was given the game ball based on his performance.  Context.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I didn't change my point. 

Reading comprehension.

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Actually you did.  Don’t gaslight.  Your original post was in support of Edmunds and to demonstrate that you pointed out that Edmunds received a game ball from coach, insinuating he received a game ball for his individual performance.  It was then pointed out that the game ball was actually for the entire defense and presented to Edmunds as a defensive captain.  Oops, talk about comprehension. To which you then replied “Poyer or Hyde could’ve been given it, then.”  Which wasn’t a sensical reply, given that the original point you were attempting to make was in support of Edmunds and his game ball worthy performance.  Try to keep up dear.

54 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're just proving my point now.

😂😂what point is that?  The one you didn’t change but obviously did?😂. You’re obviously not following along, and if you don’t see the flaw in your own logic then there’s nothing further to discuss here.  Don’t be so defensive.

8 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

😂😂what point is that?  The one you didn’t change but obviously did?😂. You’re obviously not following along, and if you don’t see the flaw in your own logic then there’s nothing further to discuss here.  Don’t be so defensive.

I guess if I have to spell it out...

A. He gave Edmunds the game ball because he thought he deserved it, not because he's simply a captain.

B. If he simply wanted to give it to a captain, he could've given it to Poyer or Hyde.

So you see, my point never changed.

You continue to misunderstand and therefore prove my subsequent point about reading comprehension.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I guess if I have to spell it out...

A. He gave Edmunds the game ball because he thought he deserved it, not because he's simply a captain.

B. If he simply wanted to give it to a captain, he could've given it to Poyer or Hyde.

So you see, my point never changed.

You continue to misunderstand and therefore prove my subsequent point about reading comprehension.

Except he didn't give Edmunds the ball because he felt he deserved it for his individual performance (obviously) so your point was invalid to begin with.  Then you further invalidate your point by inserting Poyer and Hyde.  If your stated evidence that the Edmunds option was not a mistake was McDermott presenting him with a game ball, that's bad enough in terms of comprehension because it's wrong.  But once that's pointed out to you, instead of staying on point, to just simply say well he could just as easily have given the game ball to Poyer or Hyde as team captains is inserting a straw man argument.  That wasn't your point to begin with and is illogical.

• Disagree 2

5 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Except he didn't give Edmunds the ball because he felt he deserved it for his individual performance (obviously) so your point was invalid to begin with.  Then you further invalidate your point by inserting Poyer and Hyde.  If your stated evidence that the Edmunds option was not a mistake was McDermott presenting him with a game ball, that's bad enough in terms of comprehension because it's wrong.  But once that's pointed out to you, instead of staying on point, to just simply say well he could just as easily have given the game ball to Poyer or Hyde as team captains is inserting a straw man argument.  That wasn't your point to begin with and is illogical.

If I'm flat out wrong, then so be it. I'll gladly admit when I'm wrong. (I also liked the EJ Manuel pick and hated the Josh Allen pick. 😄)

That doesn't mean I was flip-flopping on my point.

You seem like a very immature person and I don't think you fully understand the meaning of some of the terms you're using.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If I'm flat out wrong, then so be it. I'll gladly admit when I'm wrong. (I also liked the EJ Manuel pick and hated the Josh Allen pick. 😄)

That doesn't mean I was flip-flopping on my point.

You seem like a very immature person and I don't think you fully understand the meaning of some of the terms you're using.

Your point was to support Edmunds, I get it, and I don't think it changed.  And I also don't disagree.  You just used the game ball as evidence to support that stance, and when it was pointed out that wasn't exactly the case bringing Poyer/Hyde into it didn't seem consistent.  That's all.  If my reading comprehension is off I'll admit that, which I understand fully and believe is a very mature stance!

5 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Your point was to support Edmunds, I get it, and I don't think it changed.  And I also don't disagree.  You just used the game ball as evidence to support that stance, and when it was pointed out that wasn't exactly the case bringing Poyer/Hyde into it didn't seem consistent.  That's all.  If my reading comprehension is off I'll admit that, which I understand fully and believe is a very mature stance!

I think all he is saying is if it was only being given as a defensive prize - why choose Edmunds and not Poyer or Hyde as both are also defensive captains and both played more of the game.

McD chose to give Edmunds - a defensive captain- the ball specifically.  Does it mean anything else - who knows.  Maybe Edmunds was instrumental in some of the early play calls based on film study or getting players in the right spot.  Maybe the plays succeeded because he was in good position on the first 2 sacks preventing quick throws?  He made an impact without making the tackle.

The only fact that we know is that Edmunds was chosen to get the game ball by the HC and he is one of 3 defensive captains on the roster and the locker room seemed happy he got the ball.

@LeGOATskidid not change his statement at all as far as I can tell.  He pointed out that Edmunds was given the game ball.  Then someone said - well that means nothing as it was given to the defensive captain.  @LeGOATskithen replied with basically if it was being given just 100% for defense - why would McD not chose either of the other 2 captains (Poyer or Hyde) both with longer service and played more in the game - both also had big plays including a sack by Hyde.

@LeGOATskiasks a valid question that is 100% consistent and germane to this discussion  - the issue is none of us know why Edmunds was chosen or if it meant more.  Was there further meaning behind it for the week of practice, game film, something he did in the game, or just because his name comes up first alphabetically amongst the defensive captains.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you don't like conclusion-based analysis then you should quit watching sports.

KC lost 3 games last season........Tampa lost 5 but finished ahead of them because that's how the system works.

Edmunds doesn't make big plays.........50+ games into his career it's clearly not an aberration.

If you ignore his big plays this makes sense 

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah if but's and if's were forced fumbles and pics..........

Unfortunately it's been 44 regular season games since he's produced one of the former and he has just 1 of the latter in his last 34 regular season games.

I totally agree. He just doesn’t seem to have the natural instincts needed to be great.   I think McBeane love him though and he will get extended. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds is the kind of player that can be debated endlessly by fans.  He is a high pick that makes splash plays, but he also makes too many mistakes and misses assignments too often.  Both sides have plenty of fuel at hand for their side.

This is his fourth season.  Despite his relatively young age discussions about potential and growth are no longer meaningful IMO.  The player he is now is who he is and it’s who he is going to be until his physical skills decline.  In that light it boils down to one thing only: his contract going forward.  If he expects the mega deal in line with his draft position then we have to let him go.  He is not worth that.  If he’s on board with a respectable contract that reflects who he is as a player then I’m good with keeping him.

The reality of that situation is that he’s really going to have to want to be here enough that he gives up a lot of money to do so.  I mean, did anyone see the deal that Joe Schobert got a little over a year ago?  Ridiculous.  Imagine what Edmunds will get in two years.  Some team will make the mistake of giving him a Mega deal based on the theoretical potential of him continuing to make splash plays while cleaning up his mistakes.  That’s how I see it plying out.  He plays out his fifth year option, gets a decent offer from the Bills, tests free agency and signs a huge contract elsewhere.  Bills get a 3rd round comp pick.  Of course I thought that’s how it would play out with Milano (who is a better LB than Edmunds), but he took less to stay.  So it can happen.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think all he is saying is if it was only being given as a defensive prize - why choose Edmunds and not Poyer or Hyde as both are also defensive captains and both played more of the game.

McD chose to give Edmunds - a defensive captain- the ball specifically.  Does it mean anything else - who knows.  Maybe Edmunds was instrumental in some of the early play calls based on film study or getting players in the right spot.  Maybe the plays succeeded because he was in good position on the first 2 sacks preventing quick throws?  He made an impact without making the tackle.

The only fact that we know is that Edmunds was chosen to get the game ball by the HC and he is one of 3 defensive captains on the roster and the locker room seemed happy he got the ball.

@LeGOATskidid not change his statement at all as far as I can tell.  He pointed out that Edmunds was given the game ball.  Then someone said - well that means nothing as it was given to the defensive captain.  @LeGOATskithen replied with basically if it was being given just 100% for defense - why would McD not chose either of the other 2 captains (Poyer or Hyde) both with longer service and played more in the game - both also had big plays including a sack by Hyde.

@LeGOATskiasks a valid question that is 100% consistent and germane to this discussion  - the issue is none of us know why Edmunds was chosen or if it meant more.  Was there further meaning behind it for the week of practice, game film, something he did in the game, or just because his name comes up first alphabetically amongst the defensive captains.

Some mention of his pro bowls.  Will also just leave a line in here that he has been a captain for 3 consecutive years.  Dudes franchise no matter how many silly threads posters on here start. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Milano is so friggen good. When he rushes the QB he looks like a pitbull. Feet just keep moving and he just sort of melts through the creases in the Oline. When he's in coverage he's great at watching the QB's eyes and has a way of getting himself in good position to break up passes. I assume this is what the coaching staff thinks Edmunds has the potential to be doing also because of his size and athleticism. But it really just comes down to instinctually, Edmunds doesn't have the same thing going on. Olineman destroy him in the run game. He really doesn't even try and take lineman on, 9 times out of 10 he just backs up and lets the lineman take him down the field. And in pass coverage i never notice him on anybody's back. He's usually just hanging out guarding ghosts and watching the pass go around him. I don't get the Edmunds love from the fans or the coaches. I would much rather go with a more traditional middle line backer like Klein. Somebody who won't be as big, fast, or strong but who has the middle linebacker instincts to see a run, put his head down, and plug the hole at the line of scrimmage. 

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Milano is so friggen good. When he rushes the QB he looks like a pitbull. Feet just keep moving and he just sort of melts through the creases in the Oline. When he's in coverage he's great at watching the QB's eyes and has a way of getting himself in good position to break up passes. I assume this is what the coaching staff thinks Edmunds has the potential to be doing also because of his size and athleticism. But it really just comes down to instinctually, Edmunds doesn't have the same thing going on. Olineman destroy him in the run game. He really doesn't even try and take lineman on, 9 times out of 10 he just backs up and lets the lineman take him down the field. And in pass coverage i never notice him on anybody's back. He's usually just hanging out guarding ghosts and watching the pass go around him. I don't get the Edmunds love from the fans or the coaches. I would much rather go with a more traditional middle line backer like Klein. Somebody who won't be as big, fast, or strong but who has the middle linebacker instincts to see a run, put his head down, and plug the hole at the line of scrimmage. 

McD likes him and I'll trust that McD knows what he wants and needs more for his defense than anyone on this board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.