Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

8 hours ago, Mango said:

I am admittedly not nearly as high on Edmunds as others here. But today is the weirdest time to call out "the mistake". McD gave him a game ball yesterday. 

That was a mistake too, according to some people in the Game Ball thread. (Not me)

17 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

I think it's time, watching him play his 4th season, that we have to finally admit that Tremaine Edmunds is simply not a very good MLB.  This is a glamour position in a McD defense and he rarely makes any plays.  On top of that he struggles to even make routine plays.  Sure he racks up tackle numbers and a bogus pro Bowl nod last year hugging guys down 8 yards downfield as a 3 down LB in the middle of this D, but that's about it.  He grades out poor in coverage, misses tackles, struggles to get off blocks and is indecisive out there.  Edmunds was probably the only weak link out there on D today and was outplayed by journeyman AJ Klein when he left the game with cramps.  I wanted to give him time realizing that he was so young and learning a new position but 4 years is enough.  The Bills who will be cap strapped next year should not have picked up his 12.7 million option because he doesn't warrant the salary, the trade up for the pick and option pick up will go down as a rare Beane whiff imo.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it an Edmunds turnaround happening.

Too early to say this, yes he hasn't stood out yet but pretty sure he didn't even play most the game yesterday because of the cramp issue.

But I will agree with fans who say the age thing isn't an excuse anymore, this is year number four in the NFL and don't matter how young he still is. You either can play in this league or you can't and for fans that were around all the years Ruben Brown made probowls unfortunately Edmunds is that type of player right now...highly overrated and not nearly as good as that accolade suggests.

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

The whole point of being a fan is passing judgement...

I could have sworn the point of being a fan was being entertained by and rooting for teams or individuals you've aligned yourself to. Being a Bills fan for 40 years, if I was constantly passing judgement wouldn't I be insane at this point? The Bills in that time have had like 14 total seasons of being a playoff caliber team. :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I would need to understand exactly what his role is in the defense before judging him.   I am thinking the front 6 is more of a gap integrity, manage your gap and then go to the ball type of approach,  rather than keep the LBs clean so they can make all the tackles.   I might be wrong.   Has any one actually studied how McD plays defense?   It's not a "star maker" defense, it's kind of a 1/11th "control your gap/play zone behind it" approach to it isn't it?   

Yes, that's one way to look at it, I think.   I don't really understand the defense, and Sean McDermott doesn't call me with any insights, so I don't know, but I think you've got.   I also think that this is a defense that asks the players on the edge to make the plays, not in the middle.   That's why it looks like Milano is outplaying Edmunds, because Milano is give the opportunities.  

I think Edmunds job, and the job of all the back seven, is to blanket the defense backfield, so that every spot on the field is covered by two guys, not one.  You don't see many guys back there truly on an island; they're all helping each other.   In that style of defense, Edmunds is extremely valuable, because his coverage range is so large.   Between his speed, his size, and his reach, he's able to be one of the two guys covering someone all over the field.  He's valuable not because he's supposed to make standout one-on-one plays; he's valuable because he covers so much ground that he makes the other six guys back there more valuable.  

It's very much a team defensive scheme, and he fits nicely. 

I've been amazed watching Rousseau, because he's the same kind of guy.   He's not "responsible" for an area like Edmunds is, but he covers ground like Edmunds does, so as plays develop, the offense finds Rousseau in places he's not expected to be.   He's maybe not going to be a a classic edge rusher, but he can be a disruptive component on a team defense.  Actually, Epenesa was billed as a similar kind of players, and we saw some of that yesterday.   He was just a pest.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I remember having a friend from the wrong side of the tracks in college.  We called him "durão" and some thought him a wimp because he never got into any fights.  If I still had a picture of him, you would realize why he didn't get into any fights.   People found it easier to to elsewhere for that sort of things. (downneck newark)

Edmunds covers the center  well, he covers holes well and is long enough and mobile enough to make it hard to plan successful passes over the LB in the middle of the field. That steers the opponent's play book into other approaches, and cuts down their options and allows our other players to "cheat" and cover other attacks better.

I really can not understand these posters di;ssing Edmunds.   "Currently, players are voted into the Pro Bowl by the coaches, the players themselves, and the fans." .  The other team's coaches are to be trusted.  The players (31/32 from other teams) are to be trusted.  Buffalo is a smaller city and has fewer people to vote for a homer.  Maybe that is a truer evaluation of him?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, that's one way to look at it, I think.   I don't really understand the defense, and Sean McDermott doesn't call me with any insights, so I don't know, but I think you've got.   I also think that this is a defense that asks the players on the edge to make the plays, not in the middle.   That's why it looks like Milano is outplaying Edmunds, because Milano is give the opportunities.  

I think Edmunds job, and the job of all the back seven, is to blanket the defense backfield, so that every spot on the field is covered by two guys, not one.  You don't see many guys back there truly on an island; they're all helping each other.   In that style of defense, Edmunds is extremely valuable, because his coverage range is so large.   Between his speed, his size, and his reach, he's able to be one of the two guys covering someone all over the field.  He's valuable not because he's supposed to make standout one-on-one plays; he's valuable because he covers so much ground that he makes the other six guys back there more valuable.  

It's very much a team defensive scheme, and he fits nicely. 

I've been amazed watching Rousseau, because he's the same kind of guy.   He's not "responsible" for an area like Edmunds is, but he covers ground like Edmunds does, so as plays develop, the offense finds Rousseau in places he's not expected to be.   He's maybe not going to be a a classic edge rusher, but he can be a disruptive component on a team defense.  Actually, Epenesa was billed as a similar kind of players, and we saw some of that yesterday.   He was just a pest.  

What you alluded to above is likely on point for the role Edmunds plays in this defense. While I agree with those who say he still needs to make more impact plays to be considered a top player, (when healthy) he is also likely doing what is asked of him at a pretty high level for Sean McD. This staff doesn't hesitate to replace players regardless of their draft status when justified. In addition I think he is given some reads and pre-snap adjustment responsibilities. I think most fans are hung on the should he get a second contract with the team and if so, what should that look like thing. I don't live in that space really where I concern myself with player salaries or the cap, so I see it from a slightly different place.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

What you alluded to above is likely on point for the role Edmunds plays in this defense. While I agree with those who say he still needs to make more impact plays to be considered a top player, (when healthy) he is also likely doing what is asked of him at a pretty high level for Sean McD. This staff doesn't hesitate to replace players regardless of their draft status when justified. In addition I think he is given some reads and pre-snap adjustment responsibilities. I think most fans are hung on the should he get a second contract with the team and if so, what should that look like thing. I don't live in that space really where I concern myself with player salaries or the cap, so I see it from a slightly different place.

In the past I've suggested to some what you say here - that the Bills wouldn't have kept his butt on the field all this time if he wasn't doing his job.  There's been no indication whatsoever that McDermott or Frazier or Beane has tried to replace him.  Some people responded, "well they brought in Klein and Matakevich."   Right.  Like they're likely to challenge Edmunds for the job.   Some others responded, "well, McDermott loves him and keeps on the field, hoping he'll do better."   Right.  That sounds like McDermott.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve said it before but I’ll repeat it - if Edmunds just could catch the balls that hit him in the chest a few times every season no one is having this conversation. Just a couple picks, that’s it, and we wouldn’t have 100 pages over the seasons dedicated to dissecting him. It’s frustrating as hell because I like the kid and want him to take that next step from good to great.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I can’t wait to watch so many heads explode on this board when the Edmunds extension gets announced. McBeane love them some Tremaine and it will probably get done next off season.

Hope it’s not for more than $8 million per...even the players don’t think he’s a top 100 player...and we can’t have him clogging up our salary cap...👍

Edited by JaCrispy

54 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I’ve said it before but I’ll repeat it - if Edmunds just could catch the balls that hit him in the chest a few times every season no one is having this conversation. Just a couple picks, that’s it, and we wouldn’t have 100 pages over the seasons dedicated to dissecting him. It’s frustrating as hell because I like the kid and want him to take that next step from good to great.

Yeah if but's and if's were forced fumbles and pics..........

Unfortunately it's been 44 regular season games since he's produced one of the former and he has just 1 of the latter in his last 34 regular season games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I didn't change my point. 

Reading comprehension.

Actually you did.  Don’t gaslight.  Your original post was in support of Edmunds and to demonstrate that you pointed out that Edmunds received a game ball from coach, insinuating he received a game ball for his individual performance.  It was then pointed out that the game ball was actually for the entire defense and presented to Edmunds as a defensive captain.  Oops, talk about comprehension. To which you then replied “Poyer or Hyde could’ve been given it, then.”  Which wasn’t a sensical reply, given that the original point you were attempting to make was in support of Edmunds and his game ball worthy performance.  Try to keep up dear.

I was down on Edmunds last year but to my untrained eye he has been pretty good this year. I wish he would make truly game changing plays like interceptions, forced fumbles, etc. but he is at least capably filling his role right now. Last year offenses exploited him. This year they haven't been able to do that so I really can't complain. Tougher tests to come.

20 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

True but could you imagine this defense if we had just stayed put in the draft and taken Darius Leonard instead of Tremaine?  Wld be elite.

Yeah. We should get rid of that Allen guy too because he's not Patrick Mahomes. Definitely shouldn't pick up his option or extend him either.

And what do you mean "wld be elite"?

After two games, the Bills defense is 2nd in yards allowed/game, 2nd in pts allowed/game, 2nd in sacks, 3rd in passing yds/game, and 7th in rush yds/game.  Top 7 in every category, and top 3 in 4 out of 5. Our defense is already elite.

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Meanwhile, McDermott gives him the game ball.

Lol, that’s good cuz it’s about the only way he gets his hands on a football !  Lol,, guy is just not as impactful as you might expect.  If Sean thinks he is what he really wants there , it’s surprising they have not tried to really lock him up then more than the next year. It is a little thought provoking when he is gone for a half and there is no big drop off with backups behind him.  Can’t say that about Milano who looks to really be the impactful lb of our defense. Maybe he got the game ball for recovering from heat exhaustion and severe dehydration!?  I would respect that because those are serious, life threatening, and hard to recover from.   Just kidding around, always respect your posts, just wondering if most think Edmunds is what you expected him to be ?  I wish we could see him as an edge rusher more because I think he could be an all pro used in that manner. 

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Actually you did.  Don’t gaslight.  Your original post was in support of Edmunds and to demonstrate that you pointed out that Edmunds received a game ball from coach, insinuating he received a game ball for his individual performance.  It was then pointed out that the game ball was actually for the entire defense and presented to Edmunds as a defensive captain.  Oops, talk about comprehension. To which you then replied “Poyer or Hyde could’ve been given it, then.”  Which wasn’t a sensical reply, given that the original point you were attempting to make was in support of Edmunds and his game ball worthy performance.  Try to keep up dear.

You're just proving my point now.

19 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Lol, that’s good cuz it’s about the only way he gets his hands on a football !  Lol,, guy is just not as impactful as you might expect.  If Sean thinks he is what he really wants there , it’s surprising they have not tried to really lock him up then more than the next year. It is a little thought provoking when he is gone for a half and there is no big drop off with backups behind him.  Can’t say that about Milano who looks to really be the impactful lb of our defense. Maybe he got the game ball for recovering from heat exhaustion and severe dehydration!?  I would respect that because those are serious, life threatening, and hard to recover from.   Just kidding around, always respect your posts, just wondering if most think Edmunds is what you expected him to be ?  I wish we could see him as an edge rusher more because I think he could be an all pro used in that manner. 

Another poster did a nice breakdown of his game in their own thread. Idk if you've read it yet, but it's great.

To your question, I think he's exactly what they expect him to be. The leader of the defense and a pass defending LB. When they ask him to play at the line or run blitz, he does just fine.

I don't get too much into the contract stuff, but I don't think they're doing him dirty by paying him 12 mil on the 5 year option. I think they're focus was getting Josh's deal done and working out Edmunds' deal after.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.