Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

51 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is not a poster on this board that thinks he deserved to make the ProBowl last year.  

How many posters on this board felt he didn’t deserve the pro bowl literally means pretty much nothing.  This is the same board that posts some of the dumbest threads ever and they get to double digit pages.  

He’s made the pro bowl 2 of his first 3 years in the league, he is literally constantly talked about by our opponents as a beast and someone they must game plan for, he’s the captain of our defense, and he’s still only like 23.  

The fact our defense was dominant 2 weeks in a row and this thread exists shows just how unimportant the thoughts of posters here are.  The fact people are piling on a guy who didn’t even play the whole game after a 35-0 win again shows how little it matters what people here think.

We got real problems at OL and people are here whining about Edmunds?  

Lmao, it’s like this has become bizarro world.  Edmunds isn’t even remotely close to a “problem” here compared to the other things we need to fix.  If someone wants to debate what size his next contract should be…fine.  But to come on here and call picking up his option a mistake is utterly absurd.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

12 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

I think it's time, watching him play his 4th season, that we have to finally admit that Tremaine Edmunds is simply not a very good MLB.  This is a glamour position in a McD defense and he rarely makes any plays.  On top of that he struggles to even make routine plays.  Sure he racks up tackle numbers and a bogus pro Bowl nod last year hugging guys down 8 yards downfield as a 3 down LB in the middle of this D, but that's about it.  He grades out poor in coverage, misses tackles, struggles to get off blocks and is indecisive out there.  Edmunds was probably the only weak link out there on D today and was outplayed by journeyman AJ Klein when he left the game with cramps.  I wanted to give him time realizing that he was so young and learning a new position but 4 years is enough.  The Bills who will be cap strapped next year should not have picked up his 12.7 million option because he doesn't warrant the salary, the trade up for the pick and option pick up will go down as a rare Beane whiff imo.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it an Edmunds turnaround happening.

Here is something for everyone to consider.

A guy playing in Edmunds' spot on the field is in a very privileged position.  He should be making plays left and right, simply b/c he is the right guy in the right place to do that.

And yet, as the OP notes, watch how often he disappears in games or you never really notice him doing anything special, often for entire games. 

That's not right and it should tell you something is off.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I would need to understand exactly what his role is in the defense before judging him.   I am thinking the front 6 is more of a gap integrity, manage your gap and then go to the ball type of approach,  rather than keep the LBs clean so they can make all the tackles.   I might be wrong.   Has any one actually studied how McD plays defense?   It's not a "star maker" defense, it's kind of a 1/11th "control your gap/play zone behind it" approach to it isn't it?   

they had some star LB’s on the Panther D with McD.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many posters on this board felt he didn’t deserve the pro bowl literally means pretty much nothing.  This is the same board that posts some of the dumbest threads ever and they get to double digit pages.  

He’s made the pro bowl 2 of his first 3 years in the league, he is literally constantly talked about by our opponents as a beast and someone they must game plan for, he’s the captain of our defense, and he’s still only like 23.  

The fact our defense was dominant 2 weeks in a row and this thread exists shows just how unimportant the thoughts of posters here are.  The fact people are piling on a guy who didn’t even play the whole game after a 35-0 win again shows how little it matters what people here think.

We got real problems at OL and people are here whining about Edmunds?  

Lmao, it’s like this has become bizarro world.  Edmunds isn’t even remotely close to a “problem” here compared to the other things we need to fix.  If someone wants to debate what size his next contract should be…fine.  But to come on here and call picking up his option a mistake is utterly absurd.

true, Edmunds is not costing us games or royally messing up like the OL.  The OL is an issue, as is Allens timing/velocity.  

That said, nothing wrong with discussing if Edmunds was worth the option and cost.  I think it was the perfect move because he has talent but it’s not put together and this gives Bills time to further evaluate.  

• Like (+1) 2

Hmmmm......some people just wont let this go

Edmunds played very well in the season opener....if you cant admit that your blind

In the second game he went out with dehydration......he could have gone back in but they were in command of the game by that time and Klein was playing well

Give it a rest.....Edmunds is going to get this season to prove himself

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude what? One of Miami’s first plays he took a bad angle on a running play as the Gaskin completely ran past him… the defense didn’t miss a beat without him in the 2nd half. He’s gone after his contract expires.

35-0

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

true, Edmunds is not costing us games or royally messing up like the OL.  The OL is an issue, as is Allens timing/velocity.  

That said, nothing wrong with discussing if Edmunds was worth the option and cost.  I think it was the perfect move because he has talent but it’s not put together and this gives Bills time to further evaluate.  

Like I said, fine if people want to talk about his future and next contract, but to flat out call picking up his option a mistake is beyond ridiculous.  There isn’t a single person professionally linked to football who would ever for one second call his option a mistake. That is so egregious it’s mind numbing.  

Does it mean Bills should automatically give him some huge contract next?  No, it does not, they will weigh his performance and value and make a decision.  But it’s beyond foolish to suggest the option was a mistake as it’s foolish to be starting a thread after a 35-0 win suggesting he’s the problem.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Like I said, fine if people want to talk about his future and next contract, but to flat out call picking up his option a mistake is beyond ridiculous.  There isn’t a single person professionally linked to football who would ever for one second call his option a mistake. That is so egregious it’s mind numbing.  

Does it mean Bills should automatically give him some huge contract next?  No, it does not, they will weigh his performance and value and make a decision.  But it’s beyond foolish to suggest the option was a mistake as it’s foolish to be starting a thread after a 35-0 win suggesting he’s the problem.  

If Edmunds plays the entire game, the Dolphins probably score 38 points in the 2nd half.

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Here is something for everyone to consider.

A guy playing in Edmunds' spot on the field is in a very privileged position.  He should be making plays left and right, simply b/c he is the right guy in the right place to do that.

And yet, as the OP notes, watch how often he disappears in games or you never really notice him doing anything special, often for entire games. 

That's not right and it should tell you something is off.

Lets make sure that we dont hold him to a higher standard then his counterparts.....which you are

and

There have been 2 games played in this season.....Edmunds played very well in one of those games....in game 2 he was off the field for a medical reason

And those sir....are the facts

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Why do some people write off players after what they think in their infinite wisdom, is a poor performance in 1 game. No film study,no evaluation expertees,just red hot fan madness. What exactly did Edmunds not do in the 35 pt blowout? 

The whole point of being a fan is passing judgement...

59 minutes ago, theRalph said:

Utter, conclusion-based, nonsense.

If you don't like conclusion-based analysis then you should quit watching sports.

KC lost 3 games last season........Tampa lost 5 but finished ahead of them because that's how the system works.

Edmunds doesn't make big plays.........50+ games into his career it's clearly not an aberration.

12 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I can’t wait to watch so many heads explode on this board when the Edmunds extension gets announced. McBeane love them some Tremaine and it will probably get done next off season.

They will want to sign him and will unless Edmunds and his agent want too much money.  What that cutoff will be I don't know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.