Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

I think it's time, watching him play his 4th season, that we have to finally admit that Tremaine Edmunds is simply not a very good MLB.  This is a glamour position in a McD defense and he rarely makes any plays.  On top of that he struggles to even make routine plays.  Sure he racks up tackle numbers and a bogus pro Bowl nod last year hugging guys down 8 yards downfield as a 3 down LB in the middle of this D, but that's about it.  He grades out poor in coverage, misses tackles, struggles to get off blocks and is indecisive out there.  Edmunds was probably the only weak link out there on D today and was outplayed by journeyman AJ Klein when he left the game with cramps.  I wanted to give him time realizing that he was so young and learning a new position but 4 years is enough.  The Bills who will be cap strapped next year should not have picked up his 12.7 million option because he doesn't warrant the salary, the trade up for the pick and option pick up will go down as a rare Beane whiff imo.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it an Edmunds turnaround happening.

Edited by Billy Zabka
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Vomit 7
  • Eyeroll 8
  • Angry 2
  • Disagree 17
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 4

13 minutes ago, Billy Zabka said:

I think it's time, watching him play his 4th season, that we have to finally admit that Tremaine Edmunds is simply not a very good MLB.  This is a glamour position in a McD defense and he rarely makes any plays.  On top of that he struggles to even make routine plays.  Sure he racks up tackle numbers and a bogus pro Bowl nod last year hugging guys down 8 yards downfield as a 3 down LB in the middle of this D, but that's about it.  He grades out poor in coverage, misses tackles, struggles to get off blocks and is indecisive out there.  Edmunds was probably the only weak link out there on D today and was outplayed by journeyman AJ Klein when he left the game with cramps.  I wanted to give him time realizing that he was so young and learning a new position but 4 years is enough.  The Bills who will be cap strapped next year should not have picked up his 12.7 million option because he doesn't warrant the salary, the trade up for the pick and option pick up will go down as a rare Beane whiff imo.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it an Edmunds turnaround happening.

He was out of the game for much of the 2nd half with cramps.  Must be terrible with the Bills allowing an average of 234 yards a game of offense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Right decision to pick up the option.  They had to find out if he could play and he may still yet play better this year.  I think it's unlikely and they can move on from him at the end of the season.  Someone will pick him up in free agency and they won't be on the hook for his full guaranteed salary.  I'm pretty sure there is offset language even for 5th year options.  

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

12.5 million is easier on the cap than the 20 million the Darius Leonard is making. Replacing Edmunds with a noticeably better MLB is going to cost serious capital in FA or the draft. 

True but could you imagine this defense if we had just stayed put in the draft and taken Darius Leonard instead of Tremaine?  Wld be elite.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

True but could you imagine this defense if we had just stayed put in the draft and taken Darius Leonard instead of Tremaine?  Wld be elite.

Or here’s a novel idea…. Grabbed Nick Chubb in the 1st and used that extra 3rd to grab Fred Warner. Hindsight is great, but I totally understand grabbing the most physically gifted player at a position. Edmunds instincts just aren’t at that extra level. Maybe an off-season of tip drills will help with the turnover production. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Buffalo Junction

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Or here’s a novel idea…. Grabbed Nick Chubb in the 1st and used that extra 3rd to grab Fred Warner. Hindsight is great, but I totally understand grabbing the most physically gifted player at a position. Edmunds instincts just aren’t at that extra level. Maybe an off-season of tip drills will help with the turnover production. 🤷‍♂️

yeah you gotta love the revisionist history here. I loved Leonard in that draft but we always know it’s a crap shoot. Edmunds was a physical freak and we know this staff loves those guys. Meanwhile Rousseau was not supposed to be ready and Boogie was supposed be the plug and play guy while he developed 🤷‍♂️

Tremaine was good last week and this week before leaving. He may not be a top 5 MLB but let’s not act like he’s bringing the team down.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Billy Zabka said:

Some guys are just good football players, and some guys are not.  Edmunds does not have the right body type to play MLB.  He is just too long.  He can't get any leverage to make tackles.  On top of that he doesn't read plays quick enuf.  The difference between Milano and Edmunds is big.  One is a playmaker, and the other isn't.  With Klein or Dodson playing next to Milano, we don't lose much if anything w Edmunds out of the game.  

I hope the light goes on for him at some point real soon.  But I have my doubts.  But on a more positive note, you have to love the aggressive game plan the Bills came out with against the Fish today.  The Miami offense was totally unprepared for our blitzes w Taron and Hyde on the first series.  And it went on the entire game.  Coaching was top notch today, as well as the game plan.  Kudos to McDermott and company for turning it around.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

He played well today until he went in to get hydrated. And I'm sure he would have gone back in if the score wasn't so lopsided.

Edmunds is a good player. He just isn't traditional, hard-hitting type of linebacker that fans are used to seeing. He is a coverage linebacker. He's long, fast, and athletic.

Yes, he isn't an All-Pro caliber linebacker, but that's fine. Not all your prayers can be that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Non

3 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

Oh, please.

This defense is playing extremely well, and he's part of it.

In seasons when he's not injured, he has graded out very well in coverage.

He does make a good scapegoat, though. Maybe next you could complain about Star or Oliver. They're the other two that people desperate to attack somebody generally target.

He's still got some things to prove, but you're way off.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I swear of people around here have the memory of a gnat Edmunds just got done playing well last week

I mean, really! How is anyone's first thought after a 35-0 win to come on the fansite to come at the team's defensive captain?!?!?!?! And some of the best counterpoints here have had "well, he's not a top 5 mlb" or "we can get out of his contract" equivocation. You know who does think he's a top 5 mlb? His peers. Also, many coaches who voted in a recent survey. So, maybe, maybe not, but this seems a very strange subject to come to after a game where the defense (that he leads... captain is not just an honorary title) dominated.

Oh, by the way... Darius Leonard's team? 0-2, and we knocked them out of the playoffs last year. I'm not arguing Edmunds is better--at this point in their career, that would be foolish. Just making the point that maybe as fans we should be a little less ridiculous. If you are going to be miserable after a 35-0 win on the road, what is your fandom doing for you or to you? 

Should we have dropped Josh Allen or not signed him b/c he's "not Pat Mahomes" at this juncture?

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Right decision to pick up the option.  They had to find out if he could play and he may still yet play better this year.  I think it's unlikely and they can move on from him at the end of the season.  Someone will pick him up in free agency and they won't be on the hook for his full guaranteed salary.  I'm pretty sure there is offset language even for 5th year options.  

They have changed the rules and the 5th  year option salary is now guaranteed when it is exercised…

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-guide-to-fifth-year-options-for-every-nfl-teams-first-round-pick-from-2018/

Edited by Aussie Joe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.