Bandwagon fan takes

4 hours ago, galept said:

For some reason OP is trying to delegitimize anyone who isn't exactly like him/her. Making people feel like they don't belong here, and aren't "real" fans, is absurd. We are better than this.

Agree. Everyone has their own type of fandom. I can't not analyse. I can't go to the cinema and watch a film without noticing the continuity mistakes and the plot holes. Similarly I can't just say wow 35-0 we are perfect. Don't get me wrong I am happy with the win but there are still things that need work and I can't not see them.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

It was rough on the game threads today.  Got pretty annoyed at the doom and gloom up 14-0, 21-0, 28-0...today was a set back it seemed.  We stink, our qb stinks, daboll stinks...Higher expectations.  People jumping in the conversation who normally wouldn't, trolls, kids...casual fans.  Bottom line we won 35-0 on the road in division in a very big early season game.  The Superbowl wasn't today.  We will be fine.  If you hate on us on a secomd and eight in the second quarter down 3 pis....bug of.... go Bills.

Just curious how do you know "we will be fine?" Curious as to you opinion on Allen played today? Your opinion on the Bills defense? Oline? Is it allowed that people constructively criticise players and coaches who under preform? Or are they just labeled trolls, doom and gloomers, and or haters. Help us understand you mindset. Wondering are you an "expert fan?" I don't think the posters here hate the Bills as you claim. Does hating equal saying negative things about the Bills? Are some on here unrealistically optimistic? Make all kind if excuses for players and coaches? Your thread is foolish...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I feel like some people have this attitude of, "I've been cheering for the Bills through a lot of dark times, so I'm sure as hell going to enjoy a 35-0 win when it comes!" And that's fine. The "It's better than it used to be" and "We should be thankful we have a winning team" attitude seems to be common.

But I don't measure this team against what they used to be 10, 20 years ago. I measure them based on the expectation of winning a championship, and every game is an evaluation of their readiness to do that. So if I see red flags that will stop them from achieving the ultimate goal, that's absolutely what I'm going to be focusing on and talking about.

Things have changed. If we were just hoping for respect and a playoff spot like we were for so many years, the attitude would be different. But those aren't the things we're after anymore.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

I'd argue it takes a little more nuance to understand that other teams also have a lot of these flaws and "sloppy moments" too as have many teams that have won the Super Bowl. Only one out of 32 teams can win the Super Bowl. Sometimes you have to enjoy the wins when they come. 

I'll admit, after 40 years of watching this team, I don't get some people's attitude of being miserable after a 35-0 win. I don't get multiple fans wishing we could cut the defensive captain after two defensive clinics where we allowed the second fewest yards in the NFL b/c he left early with cramps. 

It doesn't make me any less of a fan. Nor do I think that you are any less of a fan. I don't think even the OP was saying all negative fans are not fans or bandwagon fans. He (or she) was just exhausted by trying to enjoy the game and figuring fellow fans would be excited. Negativity can be exhausting. I'll admit that I don't get the negative ("realist") fan mentality, to not be able to enjoy a win. However, that is your right. But what "we're seeing" is just as valuable as "what you're seeing." I saw Epenesa, Rousseau, Singletary, Moss (save one fumble), White, Wallace, Hyde, Poyer, Oliver, Edmunds (when in), Milano, Taron Johnson and others making great plays. I see that there is positive in that the defense is playing elite, and the run game looks better (currently 6th in league), so if Josh Allen gets back to being 2020 Josh Allen (which seems likely), this team could be something special. They might turn out not to be. But I'm definitely going to enjoy a 35-0 win. 

Nice post and bolded is exactly how I felt/feel on the topic. Even waking up and drinking my coffee this 35-0 blowout feels so damn good today. 

Maybe, I'm way to over confident thinking the O-line and JA17 will come back into 2020 form at some point?

To me bolded along with above average QB play will win you Superbowl's. It's great to see the running game going and Daboll calling those plays yesterday to take what the D is giving, he learned his mistake/s pretty fast after the Pitts loss. The Defense through 2 weeks can win you championships at this phase. 

Overall, It's a team sport but many fans want to make it all about the QB.  You want your supporting cast to shoulder the burden and play well so your QB doesn't have to do everything. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Everyone has their own type of fandom. I can't not analyse. I can't go to the cinema and watch a film without noticing the continuity mistakes and the plot holes. Similarly I can't just say wow 35-0 we are perfect. Don't get me wrong I am happy with the win but there are still things that need work and I can't not see them.

Bill, 've always respected your knowledge and insight on the QB position. Can you offer you opinion, expertise, and insight on what you see with Josh?  Is he likely to continue to play poorly? Improve? Etc.. 

39 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Bill, 've always respected your knowledge and insight on the QB position. Can you offer you opinion, expertise, and insight on what you see with Josh?  Is he likely to continue to play poorly? Improve? Etc.. 

I think he has been affected by the protection issues. Last week the oline was really bad but even on the snaps where he got protection his footwork was messy.  And I think yesterday while the protection was not perfect it was better and there were snaps on which Josh got fidgety feet and saw a rush that wasn't there. I think part of it is Josh settling down and trusting his guys up front. And also we need the protection to get better.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he has been affected by the protection issues. Last week the oline was really bad but even on the snaps where he got protection his footwork was messy.  And I think yesterday while the protection was not perfect it was better and there were snaps on which Josh got fidgety feet and saw a rush that wasn't there. I think part of it is Josh settling down and trusting his guys up front. And also we need the protection to get better.

I also find it interesting that Daboll was adding plays into the gameplan on Saturday. This surely has to add to the confusion for Josh and not being comfortable. Suprise that he revealed that little nugget of information.

Not everything has to be black and white. Voicing very valid concerns about the offense doesn't mean people are trolls or bandwagon fans.

The problem is, if the Bills were to go out and lose to Washington a lot of the people seeing only sunshine in this win will suddenly be calling for the coach's head. A lot of people operate on a win = insanely optimistic, lose = clinically depressed basis.

There were great things about the win and I never get tired of looking at that score, but there are legitimate worries and concerns there as well. McD pretty much said the same thing in his PC

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve praised this team in losses and criticized them in wins for over 50 years. It’s honest criticism and has nothing to do with being a “good” fan or not. Does anyone here honestly think the coaches aren’t gonna offer up a ton of the same kind of criticism during film review today? The offense is not sync. There are reasons for this. Some guys aren’t playing as expected on that side of the ball. And just like the coaches aren’t bad coaches for pointing that out, I’m not a “bad” fan for that either. 

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Your first mistake was reading the game day threads. It’s silly take after silly take after silly take. Always extreme overreactions in there. Too toxic for me. I browse for news like when Edmunds went missing I knew I’d see the reason in there. But I try to avoid it as much as possible. 

Not ever, but Rc, I feel the same.  I generally don’t read the Gameday takes outside if maybe a post in the am. Every play is dissected.  For me to offense overall played fine, just Josh didn’t.  The defense was excellent, but I don’t know if that’s a function of Miami not good, or our defense that excellent.  No reason to overreact either way.  Allen for whatever reason needs to settle down.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That's what I'm seeing too. However, these concerns about the Oline and I'll add the run game aren't new. Last year, the team lived and died on Allen's legs and arm. He produced and played like an elite talent. What I'm seeing now is Josh Allen 2.0. A little better version of his 2019 year. Time will eventually let us know what Josh Allen is. Serviceable to Elite and everything in between. I'd be lying if I said i wasnt concerned. A good measuring meter should be Washinton. If he plays another mediocre game we all should be feeling more than uneasy.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

That's what I'm seeing too. However, these concerns about the Oline and I'll add the run game aren't new. Last year, the team lived and died on Allen's legs and arm. He produced and played like an elite talent. What I'm seeing now is Josh Allen 2.0. A little better version of his 2019 year. Time will eventually let us know what Josh Allen is. Serviceable to Elite and everything in between. I'd be lying if I said i wasnt concerned. A good measuring meter should be Washinton. If he plays another mediocre game we all should be feeling more than uneasy.

Clearly pressure has been an issue so far this year.  The big difference to the raiders vs bills against Pitt? Carr hit on the deep ball to ruggs, and buffalo missed on their big deep shot. That and the blocked punt.

Yeah man, just cause it was a 35-0 win doesnt mean it was perfectly played. 

Of course no game is perfect. 

Glad to have crushed the fins, but from our eyes, this offense is playing at a level where each playoff game is a coinflip.

Wed like to be clear favorites going into wildcard weekend and on.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Clearly pressure has been an issue so far this year.  The big difference to the raiders vs bills against Pitt? Carr hit on the deep ball to ruggs, and buffalo missed on their big deep shot. That and the blocked punt.

It's more than that. It's not that simple. Carr was under just as much duress as Allen. As noted injuries on Pitts side probably helped out the Raiders. Nevertheless, on the road Carr with stood the pressure and delivered numerous strikes. He threw the ball with confidence and accuracy. Unlike Allen. After two games Carr is the better QB by miles. Fortunately it's a 17 game schedule. Allen should bounce back vs the WFT. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, galept said:

For some reason OP is trying to delegitimize anyone who isn't exactly like him/her. Making people feel like they don't belong here, and aren't "real" fans, is absurd. We are better than this.

The OP needs to become a part of the Bills Mafia Facebook group …. That place is chock full of the whole “You’re a fake fan” BS

• Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It's more than that. It's not that simple. Carr was under just as much duress as Allen. As noted injuries on Pitts side probably helped out the Raiders. Nevertheless, on the road Carr with stood the pressure and delivered numerous strikes. He threw the ball with confidence and accuracy. Unlike Allen. After two games Carr is the better QB by miles. Fortunately it's a 17 game schedule. Allen should bounce back vs the WFT. 

There were quite a few throw aways in this one (they count 4, but Kumerow got a target on a ball that was thrown into the stands because no one was open), which usually means good coverage, pressure, or both.  Only 1 sack on the day.  

2 major bad decisions - the mckenzie sideline throw that was almost picked, and the int.  He had one deflected at the line that looked like it could've been a nice gainer. 

2nd half stat line i show is 10/17 for 120 and a TD, sacked once, and 2 carries for like 25 yards.  Not crazy MVP numbers but they were in control offensively in the 2nd half, they had fantastic field position all game which limits the yards you can gain. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am no QB or O-line expert, but even I was like "he's sailing his initial throws the exact same way as last week, something has him shook and his mechanics are off".

• Agree 1